Peach Simple Syrup for backsweetening

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jovimaple

Kaptin Winemaker
Supporting Member
Reaction score
@BigDaveK Per our discussion on another thread, I took 4 cups of frozen peaches (not peeled, but I think I had added Fruit Fresh aka citric acid when I froze them), thawed them for an hour or two, then put them in a pan with 2 cups sugar, on low heat. I didn't add any water. I stirred until the sugar was mostly dissolved, then I bumped the temp up a bit and simmered everything for about 15 minutes, stirring every 5 minutes or so. Then I strained it through a strainer to get mostly liquid. I tried putting cheesecloth in the colander but very little liquid was getting through, so I removed the cheesecloth. The strainer by itself was enough to keep all the big chunks out.

The result is a pint of very sweet and peachy, but very murky, liquid. I will be adding a dose or two of pectic enzyme to the wine after I backsweeten, but I am okay with it not clearing completely if the taste is good.

Edited to add the pic and also a note that I saved the solids, too, and am planning to eat them with yogurt!

IMG_9164.jpeg

Latest posts

Back