Peach Wine

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Waldo

Reaction score
Started a 3 gallon batch ofPeach wine early this morning.

IMG_1920.jpg

I wanted full contact with the skins so I elected to not put the fruit in a strainer bag. I will let it ferment 4-5 days and will then pour it through a strainer bag and squeeze the snot out of it at that time.

My recipe for this batch is :

12.5 lbs Indian Blood Peaches sliced, destoned and added to primary.

Sliced up 4 lbs ripe bananas, added to boiling water and let it simmer for about 30 minutes then strained juice into primary.

Dissolved (roughly)8 lbs sugar in boilingwater and added to primary.

Stirred well, let cool and then added 3 Campden tablets crushed and dissolved along with 1-1/2 tsp Citric Acid

That has setnow since about 2am this morning and this evening I checked my SG and it was at 1.088 with a must temp of 76 degrees soI added 1/4 tsp liquid Pecic Enzyme and 3 tsp Yeast Nutrient. I will let this set now until tomorrow evening at which time I will taste test my must,check SG and if all is well I will pitch my Montrachet yeast to the must.

Smoke, I have Used this same recipe before except I used Alberta peaches instead of the Indian. The Indian has a tremendous nose and flavor that I anticipate is going o make an excellent wine.

With peaches Smoke I have not. I prefer to ferment them on the skin for better flavor extraction.

I bet that smells good already and it isn't even fermenting...

Did you munch on any while you cut them up????
smiley4.gif

That looks great Waldo. You don't get a ton of sediment if you squeeze hard? When I made peach, I squeezed it a lot and got a ton of pulp in it that took forever to settle out and clear. Did you notice the post I made of the Campbell's Early vine at Geneva?

Edit: Of course you did- don't know how I missed your response before!Edited by: appleman

Cool Waldo. I too started a peach. I used some fresh peaches from the store, pitted and sliced them. Poured 2 quarts boiling water over them added campden, pectic enzyme, nutrient, and acid blend. pH was right at 4, sg was almost the same as yours 1.085. I pitched the Lavlin k1-1116 yesterday afternoon. I will follow your time line in this thread and take notes.
20080813_183825_Peach_Must_2.jpg

Northern Winos said:
I bet that smells good already and it isn't even fermenting...

Did you munch on any while you cut them up????
smiley4.gif

You know I did NW
smiley17.gif

Why of course I did. They were very sweet. I only had 5 pounds of raw peaches so I have to refrain from eating a whole one....
smiley36.gif

Looks good Waldo.

Just racked mine this morning. Used 28 pounds for 6 gallons, but it only racked off 5 1/2 gallons.

Has a good taste to it right now....... We'll see.

I still need to rack last years batch of Peach Port.......... That still isn't clear.

Edit: Just went down to rack the Tomato Wine and thought I would test the Peach. It's at 1.000 and has a great peach flavor, almost a very sweet aftertaste. I'll sweeten mine back, some I will sweeten a little, and some I may try to do like an ice wine style using White grape juice and sugar.

Edited by: jobe05

Have a good strong fementation in progress and keeping it punched down 2-3 times a day now will be critical.

IMG_1923.jpg

I will probably strain out thepeaches late tomorrow evening, squeezing as much good juice from them as I can and transfer to secondary.

joeswine said:
WALDO ,WHAT IS THAT THE BANANAS GIVE TO THE PEACH WINE?

The bananas add body to the wine joe that peaches, plums lack on their own

Strained the peaches from the primary early this morning and racked to secondary where she is just a perking along happily

peachstrained.jpg

peach.jpg

Waldo:

I steam-juiced some peaches today along with a couple of bananas. I have 1 1/2 gallons in primary. I will let you know how this turns out.

Smokegrub said:
Waldo:

I steam-juiced some peaches today along with a couple of bananas. I have 1 1/2 gallons in primary. I will let you know how this turns out.

How did the juicing go? How many pounds did you juice and how much juice did you get?

Latest posts

Back