Peach Wine

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
3 teaspoons pectic enzyme was used.

Sediment is at the bottom, but the week of sparkeloid is not over with. I have to wait til tomorrow to rack.
smiley2.gif

Alles Klar, Senior Grasshoppah?

OK, If I am going to be making a peach/nectarine wine (fresh fruit), what would be the easiest way to pulverize them?? Right now they are cut up little chunks about the size of marbles and are frozen. Should I use a sterilized masher or is there something better?? Thanks.

I agree with Ramona. When they are thawed, you will likely already have mush anyway. Sounds like all you will need to do is thaw and ferment! (well after getting it all ready) Very small chunks like that is really all the yeast need to work with it well, specially after being frozen and thawed. Also, you should have less pulp escape your straining bag. You are using a straining bag, right?

Yes, straining bag. I believe that a straining bag is one of the Cardinal Rules??? Thanks for the advice on the peaches! My blueberries are just cranking out the gas. Its the 3rd day of yeast. I want to get another primary going.

Thanks...Im trying my best and getting great tips and hints and everything else from you all. I appreciate the help.

Here's a pic of my peach in the glass. Still workin' on the label. I'm just being lazy and haven't gotten a label on it yet!

Oh yeah, Glenvall inspired me to do this one. Like always, it was is one of the best wines I've ever made.

M.

2005-08-22_184013_peech.JPG

Very Sparkling and clear, Martina...hope my apricot looks as good...how does it taste?

Ramona

Needs some ageing, quite honestly, but very peachy, and very smooth already. Glenvall was right on the money with his notes and tips for this one. :)

ok, here is my question. First some background. I started my peach/nectarine wine at the very end of August. On Sept. 1st, I pitched my Lalvin. The same one, I used for my blueberry. Seeing no activity, I added more yeast energizer or nutrient, I forget at this point. I just know it was the little white balls. Anywho. Nothing after a couple days. So, I used another yeast. Champagne something. It was for a higher S.G., because my original S.G. was something like 1.116. Well, it seemed that wasnt working out after 24 hours, so I took out about 3 cups of the must and replaced it with water to dilute the sugar content. Well it worked this morning, because, the must liquid was filled in the airlock, which I changed immediately. Tonight, I broke the cap and stirred, at to which point, it started overfilling my primary like mount vesuvious. Now, my blueberry didnt do this, when I was stirring the must. I also noticed that the airlock was rocking to the tune of what would be some Ingwe Malmstein (sp?), and it had a white foamy kind of reaction going there. Here is the question...Is this normal? Again, because I didnt get this same thing with my blueberry. Although, I didnt have to add another yeast to that. Whew.

Very normal. That champagne or EC-1118 is some potent stuff. I gotta ask, why is your starting SG so high? Stir at least twice daily. You might want to just cover it with a white sanitized pillow case or sheet or some kind of cloth until the fermentation slows down. The massive amounts of CO2 it is creating will protect it for now. Return the airlock and airtight lid and readd the 3 cups of must when the fermentation slows enough. You will know when. Sounds like you are doing a great job!
smiley32.gif

I drank a bottle of my '03 Peach tonight. It was made with 13 pounds offrozen peaches in a 5 gallon batch. It was finished between an off-dry and a semi-sweet.I will say first off...yes I am bragging and no I am not exaggerating. With the glass 2-3 feet away from my face the aroma is heavy of fresh ripe peaches. The bouquet with my nose in the glass is enough to make my head tingle. The flavor at first is of ripe, sweet,and juicy peaches. As I swish it all around my mouth and through my teeth, it is reminiscent of a dry Gewurtztraminer or an off-dry Sauvignon Blanc. When it flows across the back of my tongue and down my throat, I get a tart sensation kinda like eating fresh green apples. When the swallow is finished and I open my mouth to let in air, the taste of peaches returns and while I long for the next taste, I mourn for the few ounces that are gone.

I only have I think 3 bottles left, so NO, noone gets any and NO, I won't be entering any into competition. The wine snobs do not deserve the pleasure. I am suddenly in a hurry to get started on the 60+ pounds in the freezer of a friend.

smiley4.gif

I dont know why the s.g. was so high. I followed the Peach recipe on this website. Sugar and all...Iam wondering if there was more sugar in the peaches and nectarines than I was figuring on. I also added a pound of mangos to just give it a kick and get the only pound I had in the freezer.

ok, racked the peach/nectarine again and couldnt help notice that the lees smelled like it was spoiled. Huge rotten egg smell mixed with something from the inside of a septic tank. I had not tasted the wine yet, but later I had to. I was afraid that the wine was toast. It tasted ok, a bit tart, but that was it. The lees?? Why does it smell that bad?

Not enough nutrient in the must caused the yeast to feed on itself. Aerate well when you rack.

Latest posts

Back