Peach Wine

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hippie

Reaction score
George, it won't let me post a pic off my C drive.
smiley7.gif

Try it again. It seems there is a choice I had to make on the software to use for uploads and I chose "poorly" as the Knight said in "The Last Crusade".

Since there was already a thread entitled "Peach Wine" I thought I would type in my question here.

I have5gallons ofpeach wine made with canned (tinned) peaches, white grape concentrate/peach concentrate.

Here's the recipe:

Peach Wine

12 Sweet Harvest (Aldi) 1 lb, 13 oz. cans of yellow cling peaches.
4 cans of white grape peach concentrate (Aldi)
10 pounds sugar
5 gallons water
Montrachet yeast
8 tsp. acid blend
1.5 tsp. tannin powder
6 tsp. yeast nutrient
3 tsp. pectic enzyme powder

It's not clearing. I started this wine of Jan 14, 2005. SG at the beginning was 1.100. I racked as usual. On Feb 5, 2005, the SG was down to 0.990. The wine smells fine, tastes very ick (but I have faith, because Glenvall didn't like his at the beginning either), but it's just very cloudy.

Should I add betonite? Do I need this Super-Kleer? Should I just wait it out? Should I filter? Am I being too impatient?
smiley18.gif
smiley36.gif

Thanks!!!!

Martina

Med I always have good results with knox gelitin for white wines. The good part is it is cheap. Put two packets of gelitin in a 1/2 cup water that is just warm enough you don't want to put your finger in it. Then stir until you can't see any granules and add to wine and shake. Let it set for a couple or three days at about 70 degree's andit should clear nicely.

ChrisEdited by: greenbean

If it is just cloudy and not dropping sediment any longer (mine never stopped even after 2 filterings and in the bottle), I agree with Chris. Go ahead and fine with something. You might filter after that.

I added three (3) large bananas to my peach wine in the primary. It did add body to the wine and helped greatly in the clearing as well. I bought a box of the "Knox gelatin" and will try that next time to expedite the clearing along with the addition of the bananas.

Although I have not used it yet, here's the formula...

1/2 tsp. gelatin powder per 1 gallon of wine.

1/2 tsp of gelatin added to 1 1/2 cup of boiling water. Stir thoroughly and add to the wine while stirring. Three to five days it should clear.

Chris, I would guess that yours would be for 5-6 gallons of wine?

You guess right Maui. They say too much gelatin can strip flavor and nose from wine, but I have never had that problem. If anything I think it can help wines with too much tannic bite.

Chris

Maui Joe said:
Although I have not used it yet, here's the formula...

1/2 tsp. gelatin powder per 1 gallon of wine.

1/2 tsp of gelatin added to 1 1/2 cup of boiling water. Stir thoroughly and add to the wine while stirring. Three to five days it should clear.

Chris, I would guess that yours would be for 5-6 gallons of wine?

So, 2.5 tsp. per 5 gallons?

smiley25.gif

Sounds right to me..
smiley17.gif
I will try it with a 6-gal. mango wine which is almost ready any day now. I'll share the results next week sometime.

I have oaked my peach wine (for the first time). 5 gallons of peach wine, about a handful (for you men, probably 1/2 a handful) of oak went in. How long should I leave it in there? It's been in there for about 2-3 weeks now.

Thanks!

Martina, is the oak in the form of chips or cubes? What kind and toast level? How long is up to your taste.

smiley2.gif

It's chips.

I don't know what kind. Oak?
smiley36.gif
smiley2.gif

I think the package said "medium" or something to that effect.

I know it's up to my taste, but the question is more "in general, how long does one leave oak chippies in the carboy?"

smiley36.gif

Thanks Glenvall, you're saving my wines again!

2005-07-25_135247_w_peach.jpg

Here's the update on the peach... Not clearing, even though sparkeloid has been in there for a week.

I see sediment on the bottom. Maybe it just needs another racking and more bulk aging. How much pectic enzyme was used in the must?

smiley25.gif

Back