Frozen, sweetened peaches - 18 pounds.

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Anna Nelson

Junior
Reaction score
I received 9 two-pound bags of frozen peaches, sweetened and with ascorbic and citric acid. Can I make wine from this? If my calculations are correct, there are 54 grams of sugar per bag - 486 total or 1.07 pounds.

Is the ascorbic acid okay? I would appreciate any ideas.

Anna and Ruby in Fairbanks

6-month old Ruby - GSD

Attachments

• IMG_0956.jpeg
    IMG_0956.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 0
If they taste good, go for it! I made peach wine from peaches I froze with pectic enzyme, but I also used some that I had frozen with sugar and Fruit Fresh. Just measure your SG before adding more sugar to get to your target ABV.

I found this when I googled the ingredients:

What is the main ingredient in Fruit Fresh?
Ingredients. Dextrose, Ascorbic Acid (Vitamin C), Citric Acid, Silicon Dioxide (anti-caking).

Yes frozen peaches will work, basically all fruits I run live in the freezer for a period.
* can you test pH? I would guess that there isn't enough ascorbic and citric to get within the 3.2 to 3.5 range. I would assume your fruit is close to 4.1 or 4.2. If you can't test pH, ignore the ingredient statement and follow a recipe off the web. (the function of ascorbic and citric is to only prevent browning)
* do you have a hydrometer? I shoot for 1.090/ 12% ABV. When creating a food package label we use averages over several years. Your bag could be off from the calculated sugar numbers.
* peach is a nice wine. Back sweetening the finished wine (plus sorbate) will enhance the fruit flavor.

good luck

If they taste good, go for it! I made peach wine from peaches I froze with pectic enzyme, but I also used some that I had frozen with sugar and Fruit Fresh. Just measure your SG before adding more sugar to get to your target ABV.

I found this when I googled the ingredients:

What is the main ingredient in Fruit Fresh?
Ingredients. Dextrose, Ascorbic Acid (Vitamin C), Citric Acid, Silicon Dioxide (anti-caking).
Thank you! I’m going for it.

Yes frozen peaches will work, basically all fruits I run live in the freezer for a period.
* can you test pH? I would guess that there isn't enough ascorbic and citric to get within the 3.2 to 3.5 range. I would assume your fruit is close to 4.1 or 4.2. If you can't test pH, ignore the ingredient statement and follow a recipe off the web. (the function of ascorbic and citric is to only prevent browning)
* do you have a hydrometer? I shoot for 1.090/ 12% ABV. When creating a food package label we use averages over several years. Your bag could be off from the calculated sugar numbers.
* peach is a nice wine. Back sweetening the finished wine (plus sorbate) will enhance the fruit flavor.

good luck
I have acid blend and a recipe:) I will test SG - I have a hydrometer and other goodies from my husband’s beer-making phase 10 years ago. What do you use to test pH? I haven’t done that yet.

What do you use to test pH? I haven’t done that yet.
The cheapest method is pH test strips. The drawback is they provide only a ballpark answer, which can be sufficient.

The better choice is a pH meter. Other folks have warned against buying cheap units, as they may be unreliable and inaccurate.

I suggest going with strips initially until you're sure this is a long term hobby. Decent meters run in the $75 USD range, and it's a bit to invest if you only make a few batches.

pH; practically speaking Mom and Grandpa never tested pH, what they did was follow an old recipe as the Settlement Cookbook (1903) or Mary’s Recipes (1960), so many pounds fruit & water & teaspoons acid & nutrient. There is enough variation in wine making grandpa’s recipe works. ,,, also Your beer supplies may have pH since it is useful in beer.

I have worked in a food lab, and been treated with FDA rules so I measure, everything, ,, (too much?) The inexpensive way to start is pH paper. We look for a color shift as red or blue against a color key. ,, Taste to get familiar. Great grandpa would have had his father show him when the pH tastes correct, winemaking is cooking .

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back