Need an opinion on Peach wine recipe

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Swank

Junior
Reaction score
After much research I am making a batch of Peach wine using an FPac. Below is the recipe and steps to making it, I would appreciate it if some of the more seasoned Peach wine makers would read it over and give me your opinion. My plan is to start with an 8 gallon batch of must and end with a five gallon completed batch. The reason I'm starting with 8 gallons is because I know the losses due to sediment I've had with other fruits, such as apple, and I want to make sure I don't have to top with water.

1. I've already pitted and cut up 48 pounds of peaches (6 lb per gallon), and will have them in the freezer for two weeks.
2. Thaw them out to room temp and then mash them and put in a five gallon bucket.
3. Add 1/4 tsp of Potassium Metibisulfate and set of 24 hours.
4. Add 6 tsp pectin, 4 tsp yeast nutrient, 6 tsp acid blend (whatever needed to bring level to .60% and wait another 24 hours.
5. Add whatever amount of water and dissolved sugar to make the batch at 8 gallons at a SG of 1.090
6. Pitch the yeast. I'm planning on using Lalvin 71B-1122 because I read somewhere on this forum that is is a better yeast to metabolize the malic acid in peaches to help make a smoother finish.
7. Stir twice daily until SG reaches 1.010. I will then scoop off the pancake of peach residue and dump the remaining liquid through a strainer bag. Then rack it to glass with airlock, hopefully having near 7 gallons.
8. Let it in glass until about two weeks after it stops working to allow sediment to pack down as much as possible.
9. Rack into a clean carboy adding sorbate to kill the active remaining yeast, then using a funnel add the flavor pack and stir well. I made the FPac using Joeswine recipe and instructions. I cut up 7 large peaches and sauteed them for about 25 minutes and then froze them in a freezer bag.
10. Let stand a month and then rack to a clean carboy and top with whatever is left from original batch.
11. Bulk age 3 month's
12. Rack to bucket, sweeten to taste. At this point I'm hoping to have enough Peach flavor and smell to leave it at that and bottle. However, if not satisfied I will add Peach extract made by Olive Nation (Joeswine recommendation).
Once satisfied, sulfite and bottle.

This is my plan. I would appreciate and comments or concerns. Not thawing out the peaches for two weeks yet so I have time to modify the plan.

Thanks for any advice...

If you are concerned about having a yeast to metabolize malic acid, then why add acid blend, which contains malic acid. Adjust you TA with tartaric and/or citric acid. I haven't done a peach, so I do not know of its acid type or content, but just thought it sensible not to add malic and then try to get rid of it.....

I would go all juice and no water. Peach is a mild flavor. Also, adjust acid after fermentation and 1122 is a good choice. Also add some tannins to it.

An option to mashing your peaches would be to just cut them up and use them in a nylon strainer bag(s).Your recipe calls for plenty of pectin to do its job of breaking down the cut peach. Stir/punch down bag(s) twice a day and squeeze out before going to secondary should do the job.

I didn't notice what size bucket you're planning on using for primary. I think a 10 gallon Brute bucket would be the absolute smallest bucket I'd attempt for 8 gallons of primary.

and... Welcome to the forum!

Good point about adding acid blend and then using the 1122 yeast to get rid of the malic acid. Do you think it would be best to not add the acid blend and then adjust the level after fermentation to the 0.60 level?

Also, I have a 20 plastic fermenter but was just planning on splitting it between two 7.9 gal buckets.

Good point about adding acid blend and then using the 1122 yeast to get rid of the malic acid. Do you think it would be best to not add the acid blend and then adjust the level after fermentation to the 0.60 level?

Also, I have a 20 plastic fermenter but was just planning on splitting it between two 7.9 gal buckets.

Were it me, if the pH was too far afield, I'd make an adjustment prior to pitching. If it were in the 3.3-3.7 range, I'd probably doe everything post ferment, it's going to change some during AF anyway. Dealers choice on the fermenters.

Latest posts

Back