Other peoples wines

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Paul, my couch is your couch (I only live in a rancher). But I'd make you cook under primitive conditions.

I was wondering who stole my damned couch! I never suspected it was you! ;)

Thanks for the offer! I'd be happy to cook under primitive conditions -- just like at home!

I would like to try someone elses wines sometime, I'm still waiting on my grapes getting to a point where I can make wine, I would love to have something other than the Criolla this year but that's not likely to happen.

I’ll be sending out bottles at some point between now and winter. When I do it Ill bang em all out at the same time. Will gladly put a variety pack together for ya. Send me your contact info in PM. I’ll likely do it the next time I decide to mail some wine into a competition.

I’ll be sending out bottles at some point between now and winter. When I do it Ill bang em all out at the same time. Will gladly put a variety pack together for ya. Send me your contact info in PM. I’ll likely do it the next time I decide to mail some wine into a competition.
Sweet :), Ill add you to the list for the Criolla which will be made this year the grapes are not quite ripe yet I'm sending a few bottles of it out to people when its ready, but fast approaching it.
I have literally no patience so I'm about going crazy because I have to wait like 3 years for all my grapes to actually start producing.

I do understand tho. Concern is more about losing trust in a seemingly accurate meter then the bottled wine. And potentially making decisions based off false levels. But like I said don’t jump to conclusions yet since it might be my meter not yours. It’s a ph55 Milwaukee. (Reads one decimal place only) and its about 1.5 yrs old.
It was late and I didn’t fully calibrate again. I just re-checked in my 4.0 buffer and another wine I knew was 3.6, both good, and then checked SA again. Registered at 4.3 the first time. And 4.2 the 2nd time.
I’ll be back down there soon and will clean the meter and calibrate with fresh buffer before another try. (Got a glass left). Got a rare day at home tending to Heather after her lateral epicondylitis surgery this morning. Serene and Sleeping now. Fully anticipating that to change upon waking.

Well I'm pretty sure it's my meter. I tried three times to do a 2 point calibration. It would recognize the 7.01 but would not recognize the 4.01. In the spring I did a quick one point calibration with 7.01. I can't remember how long since a 2 point, so who knows how long it's been inaccurate.

Will need to order a new electrode now, glad you checked the pH on the SA cab. Plus I need to get more diligent with calibrating.

Last edited:
Well I'm pretty sure it's my meter. I tried three times to do a 2 point calibration. It would recognize the 7.01 but would not recognize the 4.01. In the spring I did a quick one point calibration with 7.01. I can't remember how long since a 2 point, so who knows how long it's been inaccurate.

Will need to order a new electrode now, glad you checked the pH on the SA cab. Plus I need to get more diligent with calibrating.

What kinda meter you rocking with? I’m pretty certain my Milwaukee ph55 will be kicking the bucket soon. But I may just replace the electrode until until I’m ready to purchase a vinmetrica. For the price I cannot say anything bad about it. Solid meter. Fatal flaw is only reading one decimal point tho.
But I need to keep my impulses in check with the spending. A nice easy family room renovation has snowballed into building the Taj Mahal And w/ 2 barrels, grapes soon, and some stainless steel counters and tables in the wineroom, a vinmetrica might have to wait.

What kinda meter you rocking with? I’m pretty certain my Milwaukee ph55 will be kicking the bucket soon. But I may just replace the electrode until until I’m ready to purchase a vinmetrica. For the price I cannot say anything bad about it. Solid meter. Fatal flaw is only reading one decimal point tho.
But I need to keep my impulses in check with the spending. A nice easy family room renovation has snowballed into building the Taj Mahal And w/ 2 barrels, grapes soon, and some stainless steel counters and tables in the wineroom, a vinmetrica might have to wait.

A Hanna HI 98128, I haven't done the best job of following protocol with care and maintenance, so this is my own doing.

I hear you on the snowballing projects, have several going on myself. Always seems to be a few more things needed to do it right. And yes barrel coming in grapes a few weeks away.

OK back to the thread subject, I think I'm going to open your Bravado next week.

Popped an EM Selection Brunello I got from @jgmann67 on Saturday. If this is what a 'mid range' kit can taste like with EM, I'm going to have to try it. Really smooth and a light oakiness on the finish. I dig it.

Popped an EM Selection Brunello I got from @jgmann67 on Saturday. If this is what a 'mid range' kit can taste like with EM, I'm going to have to try it. Really smooth and a light oakiness on the finish. I dig it.

The 2 bottles Jim gave me he told me I couldn't drink for a year. How were you so lucky to get one you could open right away. LOL!

The 2 bottles Jim gave me he told me I couldn't drink for a year. How were you so lucky to get one you could open right away. LOL!

I don't follow directions very well. It's very likely he told me the same thing.

BTW: @jgmann67 and @ceeaton : Remind me of what I gave you and I'll forward some notes, and maybe suggested aging window.

I don't follow directions very well. It's very likely he told me the same thing.

BTW: @jgmann67 and @ceeaton : Remind me of what I gave you and I'll forward some notes, and maybe suggested aging window.
Haha, i dont think anyones really good at waiting for wine to be ready. Im pretty sure everyone likes to sneak a taste early.

LOL

The Brunello is actually Craig's and is about 30+ months old. It's very good. I have one sitting. All the wines I brought down are labeled (Alanthia Lane Winery), capsuled and have a 'born on' date on the label in a 'YYYYMMDD' format. They're all fairly young (I think there's a Pinot in there that's 2 years old, but the rest is only 14-16 months old). I'd say you'd do well waiting a year if you could.

From the wines I brought: The Barolo and Amarone were EM's. The Merlot and Pinot were not. I don't recall if I brought others down.

I have a Brunello and another French Merlot aging in carboys right now, they're both EM's.

I'd like to share the tasting notes from @Boatboy24's Cabernet Sauv Rose, but I can't. My wife drank it and refused to share. =)

Last edited:

So those wines were actually supposed to make it home? I thought those were our refreshment for the long trip (since I wasn't driving).

I have a LE16 Vermentino and a 2015 Pahpy's Blend.

FYI, the Brunello was not an EM wine (I've got one of those EMing for 7 weeks now).

I have a LE16 Vermentino and a 2015 Pahpy's Blend.

Vermentino was done just following the kit directions, other than a yeast swap. Used QA23 instead of the EC-1118.

Pahpy's blend (pronounce like 'poppy' - that's what the grandkids call him). Is Cab, Syrah and Petite Sirah. Dad and I tried out 4 blends, we liked three of them, and that one was Dad's favorite. So far, it's the best of the three, but I think the other two are 'bigger and badder' and need time to settle. All three wines were Lanza and were bought from and crushed at Harford. D254 in the PS, RP15 in the Syrah, and BM4X4 in the Cab. My usual pre-fermentation treatment of Lallzyme and OptiRed. VP41 was pitched after pressing. Cab and Syrah had ~12 weeks in a neutral barrel, then 9 or 10 weeks in a year old barrel. PS had 11 weeks in that 1 year old barrel after the other two (so it was close to neutral by then). All three had some level of medium French oak cubes during aging. I have the final blend ratio written somewhere, but not in my wine log. :?

The Viognier Roussanne Marsanne is good to go. Amarone was started 1/10/16. Unchained is good, but not quite there yet. Lay it down, or decant a bit before drinking. It is enjoyable now, but I think its still improving. All the others are @mainshipfred 's.

@Boatboy24 These are the wines I have in my basement. Most of them are yours. Two are Fred’s. I’m fending off the urge to drink them until i get a better idea of when they’ll hit their prime. View attachment 51848View attachment 51849View attachment 51850View attachment 51851View attachment 51852View attachment 51853

The Pinot is a RJS kit with skins it was my 3rd batch made strictly by the instructions. It was made March of 2017 don't know why 2016 is on the label. It's a kit and there's nothing wrong with it but it's nothing special.
The Amorosso is a 23 liter Mosti kit with raisons it was my 4th and final kit again made by the instructions except for some unknown beginner reason I didn't add the oak chips. Made in May of 2017 and lacking the oak it's kind of nice.
The Norton Blend was my first attempt with a local all grape wine for the Norton. The other wines in the blend are 2017 Cali juice buckets. All were fall of 2017 except the Chilean Syrah which is Spring 2017. The Norton went through Malo but not sure if the others finished. It was my first attempt at blending and probably the last bottle. I have 6 gallons of a different blend adding Cab Sauv and tannins.

All 3 can be opened now but you can make your own decision.

I think the viognier is in my drink soon category.

The Pinot... My Pinot is about the same age... same impressions: nice so far, but nothing special. Waiting 6 months at least.

I have an EM Amarone that's about a year old - will be good to compare in another year.

The rest - a year maybe?

IMG_7706.jpgIMG_7707.jpg

Cracked this one a few minutes ago. If I recall correctly, it is from @ceeaton and I got it the first time we met, a couple years back.

Very similar to many Vals I’ve had. Medium bodied, with good balance. It will be perfect in a bit with my pizza. Well done, Craig.

View attachment 52503View attachment 52504

Cracked this one a few minutes ago. If I recall correctly, it is from @ceeaton and I got it the first time we met, a couple years back.

Very similar to many Vals I’ve had. Medium bodied, with good balance. It will be perfect in a bit with my pizza. Well done, Craig.

It was definately done by Craig since I saw the batch number on it. Kind of like his siganture. I may have to steal that label though, I don't see a trade mark on it so I don't think I can get in trouble.

It was definately done by Craig since I saw the batch number on it. Kind of like his siganture. I may have to steal that label though, I don't see a trade mark on it so I don't think I can get in trouble.

I think he gets those from the LHBS. But, the masking tape on the back with his inventory number... that's all Craig. I had one of these some time ago, I think... very pleasant.

Back