Other peoples wines

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I missed seeing @jgmann67 yesterday, but I still snagged some of his wines. :) It reminded me that I still had a couple that he gave me a year ago, that he said weren't quite ready at that time. So I decided to crack this one tonight. Pretty sure this is the old Eclipse Barolo kit before they changed the name. I made this one several years ago and my supply has been long gone for some time. But this is every bit as yummy as I remember it. Pronounced, but not in your face, oak, along with dark fruit and good acidity. Gonna be great with the pizza I'm about to devour.

View attachment 56858

Jim - That’s the newer Eclipse Nebbiolo kit.

I tweaked it a bit with some tannin in the primary, added oak and TRE in the finish, and an EM. Skipped the clarifiers and sorbate, as usual.

I’m really happy with this one, too.

Glad it’s not just me. [emoji41]

View attachment 56868 WOW!! Fred's Meritage is really good. Like the complexity, acidity, oak flavors, dryness, firm tannins, full body, lovely dark color, and nice legs. Finish is tough because its both fruity and spicy. Nose is complex and the wine is nicely balanced.

Geez Heather, thank you very much. I'm guessing there are 12 or more different yeasts used for that wine.

That was the last kit I made and the oldest wine I have. Haven't had it in awhile since I only have 3 bottles left.

I half remembered that it was an older wine. As an Amarone, it wasn't as big a wine as I was expecting. But, still very fine... pleasant and excellent with dinner - a perfect pairing.

With the house pending sale, we had a chilli and wing night, with a fire in the pit out back with some friends. Should have taken some pics. Probably going to be the (one of the) last times.

Craig and his wife came over, and he brought a bunch of his well-aged wines. Most went to the basement for comparison tasting another time. But, we cracked a Dornfelter (from PA grapes) and a Brunello from WE with dinner.

First time I had a Dornfelter. Tannins were very soft. Like nothing I’ve had before, so it’s difficult to describe otherwise. Just a mellow wine.

The Brunello is aging very well. Some of you guys had this wine in the Pocono’s. I had one when it was a youngster. It’s going to compare well to mine (seeing the difference between aging and an EM).

Must’ve been something in the air. I opened Fred’s South African Cab last night to have with dinner. Had I seen the vintage (2018), I might have left it be another year or two (which is also a gentle reminder to wear my readers when going down to pick out a wine from the cellar).

Even young, the wine had a solid structure and softer tannins; deep color and excellent finish. Mrs Mann and I finished the rest of the bottle while we cleaned out the basement.

I’ve been leerie of SA grapes - can’t say I’ve had much experience with SA wines either. But, those fears appear to be unwarranted. This was a solid, albeit young, Cab.

Must’ve been something in the air. I opened Fred’s South African Cab last night to have with dinner. Had I seen the vintage (2018), I might have left it be another year or two (which is also a gentle reminder to wear my readers when going down to pick out a wine from the cellar).

Even young, the wine had a solid structure and softer tannins; deep color and excellent finish. Mrs Mann and I finished the rest of the bottle while we cleaned out the basement.

I’ve been leerie of SA grapes - can’t say I’ve had much experience with SA wines either. But, those fears appear to be unwarranted. This was a solid, albeit young, Cab.

There's more where that came from. I'll make sure I save another for you.

Haven't drunk it quite yet, but taking a @Boatboy24 wine to our family gathering near State College this weekend. I know that my BIL, older Brother and one of my nephews fancy nice dry red wines. This one that Jim created (he named "Unchained") in 2016 is a blend from Suisun Valley grapes of Zinfandel, Cabernet Sauvignon, Syrah and Petite Sirah. I will go back on old posts to research but I imagine it is quite a bold dark red wine. Will report back if I can hijack my brothers laptop right after tasting.

12-20-19_Unchained.jpg

I think this is the one:
https://www.winemakingtalk.com/threads/broad-run-cellars-2016-fall-crush.54332/page-5#post-680936

Last edited:
Haven't drunk it quite yet, but taking a @Boatboy24 wine to our family gathering near State College this weekend. I know that my BIL, older Brother and one of my nephews fancy nice dry red wines. This one that Jim created (he named "Unchained") in 2016 is a blend from Suisun Valley grapes of Zinfandel, Cabernet Sauvignon, Syrah and Petite Sirah. I will go back on old posts to research but I imagine it is quite a bold dark red wine. Will report back if I can hijack my brothers laptop right after tasting.

View attachment 57910

I think this is the one:
https://www.winemakingtalk.com/threads/broad-run-cellars-2016-fall-crush.54332/page-5#post-680936

That's the one, Craig. It's big and bold. I hope you enjoy it. Let it breathe. @mainshipfred recently had one. He told me he drank it over 3 days and the third day was the best.

I want to go open one now, but I'm guessing at 9am, that might not be appropriate - especially since I have to get my son to a 10:00 basketball game. Won't be able to tonight either, as we are going to a brewery with some friends.

That's the one, Craig. It's big and bold. I hope you enjoy it. Let it breathe. @mainshipfred recently had one. He told me he drank it over 3 days and the third day was the best.

I want to go open one now, but I'm guessing at 9am, that might not be appropriate - especially since I have to get my son to a 10:00 basketball game. Won't be able to tonight either, as we are going to a brewery with some friends.

When I first opened it I didn't get much of if anything on the nose and the tannins were a bit overwhelming. I never aerated it beside swirling the glass. The third day everything just popped, the nose was full of perhaps nutmeg or maybe cloves and very pleasant, the tannins softened nicely and although I couldn't quite put my finger on the taste but it had a nice lingering finish.

Sorry for the late reply. Been dealing with juggling wife and I will bad colds, and my oldest son visiting for two weeks.

We opened the wine a few hours before my oldest brother and BIL tried it. There was very little of the bottle left when I spied it in his garage. He kept it since I didn't want to travel with an open bottle in the car. I got a lot of positive feedback from their tasting, I personally feel that once it ages a few more years it will be indescribably good! Thanks for the bottle!

Latest posts

Back