Other peoples wines

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yeah the SA Cab. Maybe it’s an error on my end. Next time you open one give it a check.

I'm going to check and double-check my meter again, because this could mean all my wines are more like 4 or above. And I've been thinking I'm fine.

This was my most rememberable wine from the meet up. I thought it was 2017 though. Thought my SA Cab would be ready next year. Guess I will have to wait another year. Paul make sure you save a bottle for some competition.

You are correct @mainshipfred , didn't even notice that. The SA cab was made in spring 2017. I missed marked the date on that bottle, the pH is thru the roof. Still a stinkin' amateur I guess over here.

The pH thing really has me concerned. I have too much invested in wine inventory on what my meter has been telling me.

Not all is lost due to the higher than you thought Ph. It just means you need a bit more SO2 to protect it. As someone said, it tastes great, just means you aren't going to want to age it quite as long as you maybe would have if the pH was more like 3.6 or 3.8. Keep calm, all is well. There are people in the world who never measure pH and make great wine just by taste.

Not all is lost due to the higher than you thought Ph. It just means you need a bit more SO2 to protect it. As someone said, it tastes great, just means you aren't going to want to age it quite as long as you maybe would have if the pH was more like 3.6 or 3.8. Keep calm, all is well. There are people in the world who never measure pH and make great wine just by taste.

@cmason1957 , thanks, I'll keep it all in perspective.

I do understand tho. Concern is more about losing trust in a seemingly accurate meter then the bottled wine. And potentially making decisions based off false levels. But like I said don’t jump to conclusions yet since it might be my meter not yours. It’s a ph55 Milwaukee. (Reads one decimal place only) and its about 1.5 yrs old.
It was late and I didn’t fully calibrate again. I just re-checked in my 4.0 buffer and another wine I knew was 3.6, both good, and then checked SA again. Registered at 4.3 the first time. And 4.2 the 2nd time.
I’ll be back down there soon and will clean the meter and calibrate with fresh buffer before another try. (Got a glass left). Got a rare day at home tending to Heather after her lateral epicondylitis surgery this morning. Serene and Sleeping now. Fully anticipating that to change upon waking.

I do understand tho. Concern is more about losing trust in a seemingly accurate meter then the bottled wine. And potentially making decisions based off false levels. But like I said don’t jump to conclusions yet since it might be my meter not yours. It’s a ph55 Milwaukee. (Reads one decimal place only) and its about 1.5 yrs old.
It was late and I didn’t fully calibrate again. I just re-checked in my 4.0 buffer and another wine I knew was 3.6, both good, and then checked SA again. Registered at 4.3 the first time. And 4.2 the 2nd time.
I’ll be back down there soon and will clean the meter and calibrate with fresh buffer before another try. (Got a glass left). Got a rare day at home tending to Heather after her lateral epicondylitis surgery this morning. Serene and Sleeping now. Fully anticipating that to change upon waking.

Elbow surgery right? Hope she heals quickly.

I'm working from home today, will be hitting the basement after I eat lunch and will double check my meter. No big deal either way.

Elbow surgery right? Hope she heals quickly.

I'm working from home today, will be hitting the basement after I eat lunch and will double check my meter. No big deal either way.

Thanks. Yeah- tennis elbow. Plus some extra tendon/ligament damage.
Essentially a few of her roof rafters split. So the doc jacked the roof up, then sistered the damaged 2x8’s with new 2x’s on either side w/ epoxy applied, spanning at least 8’ beyond the splits. Then staggered thru-bolts every 8”.
(I could totally have done that operation myself!)

Thanks. Yeah- tennis elbow. Plus some extra tendon/ligament damage.
Essentially a few of her roof rafters split. So the doc jacked the roof up, then sistered the damaged 2x8’s with new 2x’s on either side w/ epoxy applied, spanning at least 8’ beyond the splits. Then staggered thru-bolts every 8”.

Personally I would have used 3/4" plywood for the splice with 6d sinkers 4" o.c. each way each side.

Personally I would have used 3/4" plywood for the splice with 6d sinkers 4" o.c. each way each side.

Interesting my approach would have been a broom handle, epoxy, duct tape and a few cotter pins.

But surgery is no joke on any front , wishing a quick recovery.

Lol!! I beefed it up for effect.

I’ll be helping myself to the final glass of SA Cab shortly. Anxious to taste it after a full day of air exposure. I’ve still got 5 gal of 17’ Chilean Cab/merlot to bottle. Its a good wine, but not nearly as complex as the SA. I used American med oak spiral - hard to put into words- but the oak is just kinda “there”. Instead of subtly hangin within the natural profile of the wine. Not sure what tannin/oak was used in the SA- but was the right type and amount. There’s also perceived sweetness going on from the fruit that makes it a bold yet easy drinker.

Interesting my approach would have been a broom handle, epoxy, duct tape and a few cotter pins.

But surgery is no joke on any front , wishing a quick recovery.

Heck, I forgot about duct tape!

Lol!! I beefed it up for effect.

Not sure what tannin/oak was used in the SA- but was the right type and amount. There’s also perceived sweetness going on from the fruit that makes it a bold yet easy drinker.

Like AJ I'd also like to know what tannin if any was used. My 18 SA Cab has been in a 14 month old barrel for 2 months now with no noticeable oak. It will be the first to go into the new 30 liter.

Heck, I forgot about duct tape!

Like AJ I'd also like to know what tannin if any was used. My 18 SA Cab has been in a 14 month old barrel for 2 months now with no noticeable oak. It will be the first to go into the new 30 liter.

When the SA cab went into bulk it was on french med oak chips for 3 months, than 3 months with no oak and then last 3 months med french oak spiral.

I would like to try someone elses wines sometime, I'm still waiting on my grapes getting to a point where I can make wine, I would love to have something other than the Criolla this year but that's not likely to happen.

Latest posts

Back