orangeish carboy?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

orf

Junior
Reaction score
I have a orange-red colored 3 gal carboy and was wondering if I could use it for my blackberry. I've seen that you want to use dark glass and wondered if this orange-red jug would work? Also what other wines need a dark vessel? The opening is 2 1/4" wide and wanted to know if that is a standard size or would I have to get a natrual cork stopper and if so where do you buy corks,hardware stores in my area didn't have them as far as I've seen. thanks orf...

Orf Carboys for the most part are clear glass. Is the orange painted on or is it the color of the glass. I never saw anything like that. You can get bungs to fit it at wine supply stores.

As Tom said, a picture would help. I have never seen that colored carboy. Do you know how the color originated? I mean, did someone color it with glass tint? Is the color only on the exterior and not the interior? BTW, you would need a 11.5 stopper for a 2.25" opening. George at The Wine Makers Toy Store sells them.

thanks for the quick response. I think the glass itself is an orangeish colored glass.I haven't seen this color either but it's not painted or stained, it's that color right thru.I'll have to wait for the kids for a picture so stay tuned and I'll try to post one asap.thanks again.
orf...

Picture of Red Jug

Here is a picture of the red jug.

red glass jug.jpg

I don't know why you couldn't use it, if it is not stained inside and doesn't have some permanent odor or off-flavor. It might be a little harder to see the sediment in the bottom, but you should be able to live with that.

For a few days, let it set filled with a mild Kmeta solution.

Go for it!

The carboy looks fine. As Robie said, make sure you clean it vigorously (I use and recommend Oxyclean or or Walmart's generic equivalent) and sanitize it with K-meta solution. It is acutally a very nice piece.

yep thats a hand blown piece looks like. I would love to find out who did it, glass is probly fairly thick and will probly be wonderful for working with wine.

Eddie congratulations on 1000 posts. Orf use it as mentioned if you have to. It is very pretty and will be hard to look at your wines progress for sediment and clarity. I would consider using it for dried flowers or other decorative piece. Again I don't see an issue in using it, it is just very pretty.

Nice custon carboy there!! I had a friend that used to have his own glass furnace in his shed (Steel). I wish I was hanging around with him when I got into the wine making addiction. I would have had him or show me how as I did a little glass blowing with him before a few times. The heat coning out of those doors is tremendous and hard to tollerate!

Congrats Eddie and Wade maybe you should try and get in touch with your friend again because you are always making more wine

Agreed. That's a beauitful piece of glass. You should make some beautiful wine in it.

No, but the piece inspired me to think of the 60s. Dandelion wine for all the flower childs to christen it?

Back