WineXpert Opinions needed on my little test

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Michael Vino

Reaction score
Working on the stabilization and clarification stage of an Island Mist Black Raspberry Merlot, the kit instructs to remove 4 cups of wine to make room for the F-pack contents…
<?:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" />
After I was finished with the clarification stage and topped off, replaced airlock, I had 3 cups of wine left over.

I poured the reserve wine into the empty F-pack foil pouch and burped the air out like an old water bed mattress.
smiley23.gif

My question is do you think that reserve wine will be ok for a few days? As I was thinking of using it to top off another kit that I’m going to polish rack this weekend and I think I’ll need a little bit of wine to top off.

Anyone else ever try this? Will the sweetnees of the little bit of F-pack cause any problems in the other kit?

This should be fine in a pinch, but I wouldn't keep it there long. Get yourself some stoppers for wine bottles. They fit 375, 750 and 1500 ml bottles. You can put an airlock in them. This protects the wine better whilereleasing C02 if any is left in it or created after placing there.

Check this page below and size 2 or 3 should fit- if in doubt ask George.
http://www.finevinewines.com/Home-Wine-Making-Equipment-Stoppers.asp

Is this the wine that you took out of the carboy before adding the f-pack as it wouldnt be sweet.

Appleman is right Michael. Will be much better off to get it in a bottle/jug under an airlock

I agree. a clean and sanitized bottle with a small airlock would be good. You are going to need it over and over again and it doesn't require much in the way f investment.
Edited by: peterCooper

I have, in a pinch, put my leftover in a small bottle with a couple layers of saran wrap and a tight rubber band around it. I get the bottle whithin an 1/8 of an inch of the top so there is minimal chance of air getting in. If it's still putting out CO2, I would keep an eye on it, if it builds up to much, I poke a pin hole in the saran wrap, but will change it out for a new saran wrap in a couple of days. Again, I do this in a pinch when I have to, but don't like too.

Airlock is the best, but ina pinch, I have used a balloon on a bottle.
Dave

We have a fun collection of air locks and bungs. Beats collecting salt and pepper shakers! When we started out we too used the saran and rubber band, but as our knowledge and collection grew, we could stop using the make shift items. But, we did find it fun experimenting with things!
smiley4.gif

Well it looks like a conscience is in and I’ll get a spare bottle set up for the next time.

Thanks all for your input and help.

The Island Mist Balck Raspberry Merlot was my wife's first kit. We racked into a 6.5 gal carboy &amp; put that must back in. Came out great!!!
smiley20.gif

Back