No Cubes when Oaking?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

whynot

Wine & Scotch
Reaction score
So I racked my WE Eclipse Old Vine Zin yesterday, This will be the first batch to go into my barrel. At this stage the instructions call for putting in the oak cubes, which I did not.. (sine I'll be barrel ageing)..

Just curious if anyone disagrees and would put the cubes in now also, and why?

Thanks for bringing the topic up. I recently tasted a really good commercial Zinn that was fermented in oak buckets. They then aged the wine in old whiskey barrels. Has anyone ever tried this method. (bucket only) I did a little web search and found a site that sells eastern European oak buckets. I could not determine if they also sold lids.

Keep warm, its 11 degrees here in PA.

Whynot, don't add the oak cubes in the barrel. If the barrel doesn't impart enough oak you can use the cubes in glass carboy while further aging after racking from the barrel. Otherwise you can save the cubes for another kit.

asked in another thread, but thought it worth it to ask here also, new kit (CC Red Mountain Cab), came with oak shavings (2 packs) and cubes, says to put the powder in during primary ferm.. I didn't because it's going in the vadai, but I'm thinking it should be OK to put them in now right? 10 days in ferm shouldn't "over oak" it?...

Sent from my Transformer Prime TF201 using Wine Making mobile app

I use dust and shavings I'm primary. Cubes in secondary if I want to layer oaks. No other oak till after barrel aging. Then spirals in carboy if more oak is needed.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Wine Making mobile app

came with oak shavings (2 packs) ... says to put the powder in during primary ferm. ... OK to put them in now right? 10 days in ferm shouldn't "over oak" it?...

It should get all the oak out of the dust in a week. You could leave the dust in for a year, and it would not add any more oak. No risk of over oaking.

The way I see it, you run the risk of over-oaking your wine if you were to use both. Barrel age your wine first (for 5 - 8 weeks, depending on your tastes). You could simply keep it in the barrel even longer if you need more oak.

We'll I put them in. We'll see :).. I will be ageing this for a while, so it will soften over time. I have not experience as I'm new to this, but from what I've read and how my head works, it should not come out "over oaked"..10days of shavings, and a few weeks in the barrel ageing..

Back