NO CAMPDEN-NO SORBATE

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
G

Hey?

Has anyone ever bottled after fermentation stopped, and left out the campden and sorbate?

I did.Five bottles of blackberry.They're now in their 70th day in the bottle after 60 days prior to bottling of no fermentation and nothing extrordinary has occured.

Any sugestions.

If you ferment to dry you can do this, but be aware that not using the k-meta will decrease your shelf life, especially for a fruit wine that does not contain the tannin levels tp protect the wine. Also, the k-meta will also help keep at bay any bacterias that are typically in wine but are dormant so I do not recommend doing this.

It might not referment, but it certainly will not keep, unless it is very high alcohol. Blackberry is not known to be tannic either, so I'd consume this within a year or less, or you might end up with something not good.

There is another gotcha here that you should be aware of. Right now temps are cooler so fermentaion isn't as likely to restart. With no sulfites(campden) in it it may start up a naturally occurring malolactic fermentation-sometimes known as a secondary fermentation. Blackberries are fairly high in malic acid so if any mlf bacteria are present, it could start up on its own with warmer weather. If you want to age it at all and take your chances with spoilage, keep it as close to 50 degrees as you can.

Latest posts

Back