Newbie from Canada with two questions

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

don67

Junior
Reaction score
Greetings from Ottawa! This forum came up in a Google search, and having browsed around I can see that it is well-traveled by many friendly and knowledgeable people.

Now that my local winemaker is shutting down, I thought I'd take the operation into my basement as I originally intended a couple of years ago. I've got all the basic equipment, and have started three Cellar Craft (Rosso Fortissimo) kits, but am eager to graduate to "real" winemaking.

1) What, if any, experimentation can you suggest with the kits? I'd like to follow the recipe with one kit, and mess up the other 2 in the name of science. Note: All 3 kits started their primary two days ago.

2) What would be a good first project for making wine from scratch? My wife and I gravitate towards dry red wine, but could try almost anything. One constraint is that we live in the Great White North, where the only thing in season right now is political correctness and snow.

Suggestions (and any links that you have found useful) would be much appreciated :sn

Don

Don,
Welcome to the forum!
Now that my local winemaker is shutting down, I thought I'd take the operation into my basement as I originally intended a couple of years ago. I've got all the basic equipment, and have started three Cellar Craft (Rosso Fortissimo) kits, but am eager to graduate to "real" winemaking.
I have never made this particular kit, but I have made quite a few C.C. amarones and cabs. Since you live in the Great White North and you say you'll ferment these in your basement, just be aware that you'll need to ferment these at 21-30C. White wines are usually fermented at 12-19C and for that reason are more conducive to winter fermenting. Also, don't ferment them sitting on a cold floor.

Fred

Last edited:
There really isnt much you can change with a kit like this IMO. Different oak, dried elderbrries? Maybe if you didnt start them already I might have a few mre ideas but since they are already started and youd ned to go get stuff it would probably be too late.

If they are all the same....try to stabilize different. One cold, say 36*F. Second at room temp., and the third with a brew belt at about 75*F to see if one does better than another. I have been wanting to do this, but never have enough clean carboys at the same time. There has been discussions on which is best....let's find out!

Also you can ferment one to dry in the primary, and one moved in the secondary at 1.015

Suggestions? I'd tap into the local winemaker that's shutting down and see if you can get a deal on equipment. It seems you can never have enough equipment once this hobby gets under your skin. If you're buying it at a good price, you'll have no problem selling it and getting all your money back again if you take care of it and decide you no longer want it.

Also you can ferment one to dry in the primary, and one moved in the secondary at 1.015
Cellar Craft recommends not transferring the wne until the sg is 1.000 or less. This allows proper extraction from the grape skins and the oak. So personally, I would not move it before 1.000. (I rarely do with any kit.)

Moving the wine at 1.015 may cause the wine to bubble out the air-lock and make a mess. don67 is a first time home winemaker. Let's not create problems for him by suggesting changes that may cause problems with others in the household.

Steve

Suggestions? I'd tap into the local winemaker that's shutting down and see if you can get a deal on equipment. It seems you can never have enough equipment once this hobby gets under your skin. If you're buying it at a good price, you'll have no problem selling it and getting all your money back again if you take care of it and decide you no longer want it.

Agreed. If I lived near Ottawa, I'd be tring to pick up a few items. The problem for don67, as a rookie winemaker, is that he doesn't know what to pick up.

My advice...get a good floor corker, Fizz-X drill mounted stirrer. Also some spare carboys, hydrometers, bungs, and air-locks.

Steve

don - welcome to a great forum. Since you are relatively new at making your own wine, it's probably best to stick to the kit directions until you feel more confident to move on to tweaking. When you are ready to experiment I would suggest a couple of good sources - one is an article in WineMaker magazine by Tim Vandergrift, entitled Making Your Kit Wine Shine Redeaux at this link http://www.winemakermag.com/blogs/Making-Your-Kit-Wine-Shine-Redeaux.html
The second is a discussion by Zach Brown ( bzac), Vancouver, about his favorite tweaks for kits at this link http://www.winepress.us/forums/inde...s/page__p__242351__fromsearch__1&#entry242351
I find these both excellent information for any one wanting to experiment with their kits.

Thanks everyone for your thoughtful replies and links. What a great forum!

Yes, I have already obtained some equipment from my wine guy... at a very good price :)

As for the current Rosso kits, I think I'll go by the book on one batch and bottle it as soon as it is ready. I have a nice cool storage space. For the other two I will follow a more patient schedule, letting them ferment at warmer temps for a bit longer, and maybe adding some oak cubes to one of them during clarification (those sawdust packets are kind of blehhh). I will also bulk age them for awhile, and let you all know how it turns out.

As for scratch recipes, I think I'll tinker with a few more kits before taking that step. I like the idea of adding fresh ingredients to the primary.

Thanks again for your help!

Don

Don,
(those sawdust packets are kind of blehhh)
Those sawdust packets are there for a purpose. They're not for adding oakiness, but to be used during fermentation to remove any vegetal or green astringency. After fermentation the sawdust particles can be racked off and discarded. Then cubes or whatever other oak is in the kit can be used to provide oak tannins and aroma, if desired.

Fred

Welcome.

The biggest problem that you face is getting good, quality fruit. I assume that you want to make grape wine from scratch?

I would start out by getting known grapes (cabernet, merlot, pinot noir, petit sarah, sangiovesse, etc). For a first time, I would stick to the same grapes that are popularly sold as wine. Later, once you have your "purple feet" (or sea legs?) you can branch out into other, lesser known, things.

Also, pick the grape you like. In other words, if you like merlot then make merlot. If you like cabernet, then make cabernet. This way you have an general idea of what the wine is supposed to taste like (if all goes well).

You need a press, and a crusher/destemmer. Did you already purchase these from your local?

Well, I'm a few weeks older now and slightly wiser. Things learned:

1. Speed of fermentation makes little if any discernible difference, although if you rush an active secondary with a heating belt you can generate a nice purple volcano.

2. Instructions for de-gassing are woefully inadequate if you want to drink some of your wine right away. I fabricated a mixing wand by attaching a modified plastic coat hanger to my Makita, and also rigged up my Foodsaver vacuum to extract the last little bit of gas. After repeated de-gassings over several days the wine lost that harsh, carbonated edge to which I've become accustomed at the local winemaker. Much better.

3. Oak chips lend a nice mature flavour, but one pouch for 5-7 days is plenty for my taste buds.

My inner mad scientist also started a Cellar Craft Merlot kit with a kilogram of fresh crushed blackberries added to the primary. It's now clearing but a quick sample today was very promising. I've also started some RJS 6-week kits.

Last edited:
Welcome to the forums! That is a great kit without any tweaks! Watch your sulfite additions if bulk aging. Let them age properly. They will need 18 mo to get really good.

Welcome to the forum. Next batch you make, save the lees and make a batch of skeeter pee. Go to Lon's site and get the recipe. You will not regret it, and it will be ready to drink this summer. Google up skeeter pee for the recipe. Take care and good luck with this. Arne.

Welcome! Lots of good people here to answer your questions.

Latest posts

Back