Newbie from Western Canada

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

raelynn

Reaction score
I decided to take the leap into winemaking after acquiring nearly all of the equipment I'd need for a crazy good price at a garage sale. I started with a kit (Orchard Breezin spritzer) to learn the general process. Since it was low abv, I used 4L jugs. I'll be trying bottling for the first time in a week or so when my 2nd batch is ready (Cellar Master cab sav kit). I found the forum when searching for a recipe for Dragon's Blood. I thought it would be a good first "from scratch" experience. I am really excited to make anything and everything, and I love that there seems to be a mix of art and science to winemaking. I would love suggestions on what to try next. It's cold and dark here in winter, so I'll have plenty of time on my hands.

Welcome to WMT

With the late summer and fall harvest season here your timing is excellent. Do you have a lot of freezer space? Almost any fruit, and many vegetables, that you wish to use for wine making can be harvested now and frozen for later fermentation. I would recommend an apple wine. You can chop and ferment the whole fruit without the need for a press. Just plan for a lot of lees. Also elderberries, blackberries, plums, etc. do you have an over abundance of tomatoes or beets? Lots of possibilities. Search the site
For recipes and ask questions.

Welcome, Raelynn! Had a browse around the forum? Lots of good information and answers to questions.

Welcome to WMT

With the late summer and fall harvest season here your timing is excellent. Do you have a lot of freezer space? Almost any fruit, and many vegetables, that you wish to use for wine making can be harvested now and frozen for later fermentation. I would recommend an apple wine. You can chop and ferment the whole fruit without the need for a press. Just plan for a lot of lees. Also elderberries, blackberries, plums, etc. do you have an over abundance of tomatoes or beets? Lots of possibilities. Search the site
For recipes and ask questions.

I have lots of freezer space, but being in Canada we have a short harvest season and I've already missed apples. I will hopefully have rhubarb and saskatoon berries next summer too, so this winter will mainly be recipes with store-bought frozen fruit. Beets are cheap though, and haven't been harvested yet, so I am going to go research that. Thank you!

Welcome to WMT!
Drinking wine that you made is such a wonderful and satisfying feeling.
And I agree about the freezer. I have a full size fridge, a smaller fridge for my vegetable ferments, and a small chest freezer. All the freezers are packed. This is ridiculous - I may have to get another chest freezer for food.

Welcome Raelynn. I am also new to this group. I agree with bigdave that drinking wine that you made is very satisfying. As for using frozen base? I used to catch the local market when they put the frozen fruit on sale and use that.

Latest posts

Back