Newbie....any suggestions?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wsearl3

Reaction score
I just started my first kit yesterday. It is a California Connoisseur Pinot Grigio from EC Kraus....any suggestions? Began with a hydrometer reading of 1.083....how long before you should see a lot of action in the airlock?

should be going strong by now. during fermentation an airlock is not required. I usually make a cork out of rolled paper towel and insert in top of carboy. the CO2 released by the ferment will protect the wine. I would also stir the wine every day, the oxygen helps the yeast ferment.

If you are seeing any action in the airlock, then fermentation is starting. It could take another day before it really gets going.

I noticed you live in NY and it is winter. Are you fermenting in a cold cellar or a 70 to 75 degree area? You will need to keep the temp. up at this stage.

I noticed you live in NY and it is winter. Are you fermenting in a cold cellar or a 70 to 75 degree area? You will need to keep the temp. up at this stage.

Also in NY here (although not that far north). I have been using a Brewbelt on my primary. Well worth the $20, keeps it between 75-80.

IMG_0958.jpg

Welcome to winemaking!

Wanted to point out: airlock activity isn't a direct indicator of fermentation. Sometimes it will bubble like crazy, sometimes not much at all. Your best bet is a hydrometer reading.

Good luck!

Sent from my iPhone using Wine Makin

Welcome to the forum!

For primary fermentation I leave a loose lid on the bucket. I poke my thermometer sensor through a folded clean tissue or paper towel and then into the bung hole to get my temperatures during primary fermentation. I also stir once a day until ~ day seven when the SG is around 1.020-1.000 at which time I airlock to finish fermentation in the primary or rack to secondary carboy and airlock.

Also in NY here (although not that far north). I have been using a Brewbelt on my primary. Well worth the $20, keeps it between 75-80.

Just want to say that when you get bored with that great looking stainless fermenter, I'll be happy to take it off your hands!

Just want to say that when you get bored with that great looking stainless fermenter, I'll be happy to take it off your hands!

Ha. Yeah, I'm pretty pleased with it so far. These are a pretty good deal at just over $200, if "looks" is part of your gig. I have a bunch of 8 gallon plastic fermenters, some with spigots, and they work great. They're just ugly. The ss one is part of my bar "decor", and looks nice on top of being very functional. I like the conical feature - I don't rack from the spigot; I use an All-In-One pump. But the lees settled down into the conical section makes it easier to maximize racking out the must without the lees. Also the thermometer is a nice feature, and is very accurate.

First Racking

Racked my wine yesterday, day 8. The SG was .998 and the temp was 76.5 F. How long before the wine starts to clear? The wine level is just at the middle of the "shoulder" of the carboy. Should I top up with water? Any other advice?:a1

I don't know this specific kit, but most instructions have you leave the wine in the glass carboy for some number of days before you add anything to force clear it. That is usually 14 days or so. Your instructions may call this secondary fermentation. They also tell you whether to top up or not. I probably would, but follow the directions.

Racked my wine yesterday, day 8. The SG was .998 and the temp was 76.5 F. How long before the wine starts to clear?

It "starts" to clear right away. I typically rack after 2 weeks (from the racking on Day 8), and again 30 days after that. Then, every 3 months or so.

The wine level is just at the middle of the "shoulder" of the carboy. Should I top up with water?

I wouldn't worry about it at this point. There is a lot of CO2 protecting it. At the next racking, I would be more concerned.

Latest posts

Back