New to Wine making, completely overwhelmed from over researching and loving every minute of it.

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BIACS

Junior
Reaction score
So I started out with the idea of making wine, went to Amazon and looked at the kits. Then I started my Freshman year at YouTube University doing research. Within a couple days, I now have an Amazon wishlist of $743 from 28 items to build my own "kit" and become a Vitner. I look at it like this, now I have to make enough batches to average down the cost of the equipment. The Grape must will be a constant, but to justify a couple Carboys, Grape Press, and everything else, the key is volume. Look forward to learning more, I know it will be a long time till I can actually contribute anything worth reading.

Welcome to WMT!

YouTube U is a mixed bag -- there are good videos and there are totally clueless videos, and it's hard for a beginner to know the difference.

Post a description of your plans, plus what equipment you're planning to buy.

Although it's certainly possible to jump head first into the deep end, making a couple of kits first has the big advantage of starting in a controlled process while you understand the process, and your likelihood of having a good result on the first try is higher.

Planning to start with Cabernet Sauvignon. I've been watching a lot from YouTube channel "The Home Winemaking Channel" and some others.
Equipment list so far
  • 2x 5 Gallon Carboys - Glass (North Mountain Supply) comes with drilled and undrilled bungs, airlock, carboy dryer, handle and cap
  • Carboy cleaner
  • Carboy heat pad belt
  • Mix-Stir agitator rod
  • Star-San
  • Potassium Metabisulfite
  • American Oak Spirals
  • Fermtech Hydrometer / Wine Theif / Test Jar combo. Hydrometer drops in theif.
  • Wine Cap Punch
  • Stainless Steel slotted spoon
  • Tartaric Acid
  • 1/2" 27" auto siphon with bottle filler/clamp/tubing
  • Lalvin EC-1118 yeast
  • North Mountain Supply yeast nutrient
  • Super-Kleer clarifier
  • Spray bottles for Star-San
  • 3.2 gallon basket wine press - wood basket
  • Digital pH.TDS meter
  • Dark 750ml bottles
  • #8 Corks
  • Double lever corker
  • Acidity test strips

Last edited:
You will want to use the #9 corks x 1.75”.
After you bottle your first batch you will regret getting the double lever corker. Get a floor standing model or an arbor press style corker.
You have both a pH meter and acidity test strips, I assume that means pH strips. Start with the strips, spend the money for a pH meter later.
You will want to ferment in a 7.9g bucket with lid, or if you have a lot of grapes, you will need a 10 or 20 gallons Brute trash can. If so, then you need more 5g or 6g carboys. You will also want 1/2g and 1g jugs. Also stoppers with sizes 6, 6.5, and 7.
I’m not doubting the North Mountain brand, but I would start with known vendors like GoFerm as your nutrient.
Skip the carboy handle. Use crates or other means to lift carboys. Handles are likely to break the neck, especially if trying to lift full carboys.
EC1118 is an all purpose powerhouse of a yeast. That’s why it’s provided with many kits. It does not provide specific flavors. For whatever varietal you are making, research what yeasts are used to bring out specific flavors. Keep the EC1118 at the ready, it’s often used at the tail end of fermentation to insure the ferment completes to dryness.

I agree with Jim -- look for used equipment. Facebook Marketplace works -- I found a #40 press, 2 demijohns (54 and 25 liter), and other stuff for less than half the price of the press alone. The downside to that is you have to look every few days.

Super-Kleer clarifier
If you are bulk aging for at least 4 months, you can skip this. I did a test last year and identified that kieselsol and chitosan (ingredients in Super-Kleer) strip aroma and introduce a slight bitter taste.

3.2 gallon basket wine press - wood basket
A #20 press is 2.5 gallons and #25 is 5.0 gallons, so I'm not sure what a 3.2 gallon is. Note the # of the press is the internal diameter of the basket in cm, so a #20 press is 7.8" across and #25 is 9.8".

My press is a #40 (15.7"), which is 18.5 gallons. I can fit 8 lugs (288 lbs) of grapes in it, which is what I make to fill 55 liter (14.5 US gallons) barrels. You need about 1/3 that much grapes to fill a 19 liter carboy. Pictures of my press are in this post.

If you're planning to make significant quantities of wine in one batch, your intended press will require frequent reloads.

Also, do not buy Chinese manufacture. They are noted for inferior metal and chipping paint. Read the reviews before you buy.

Use #9 corks. #8's are a smaller diameter and will not necessarily seal all bottles well, and will allow more O2 ingress sooner.

Double lever corker
If you think you're long term serious, buy a floor corker. A lot of folks like the Portuguese corker (red one) and when you putting a lot of corks in a bottle, you'll be happy you have it.

I have the (blue) Italian corker, which is a lot larger, and it will put a cork in any bottle. The down side is that it's more expensive.

The above post is part of my Wines … in Detail post series. I try to make them all different, focusing on various aspect of winemaking. I don't pull punches -- I write about the good, the bad, and the ugly. This may give you a better feel for what may actually happen, as I don't pretty things up.

Thank you for all your replies. Changing to the #9 corks and floor corker now. Read that they are better for 24mm. Glad I signed up to this site, definitely a lot of knowledge here. I didn't post earlier. I was planning to start the fermentation in the bucket the must ships in, or should they be transfer to fermenting buckets with lids to insert airlock? Seems like the same effect leaving the lid on shipping bucket loosely. 3.2 gallon press looks like. I know I'll empty the filter bag more than a larger press.

Attachments

• 61aVkNVddVL._AC_SX679_.jpg
    61aVkNVddVL._AC_SX679_.jpg
    30.2 KB · Views: 0
I was planning to start the fermentation in the bucket the must ships in, or should they be transfer to fermenting buckets with lids to insert airlock?
Juice and must buckets come full to the brim. If you try to ferment in them, you'll get an overflow. You need a container that is no more than 3/4 full.

You can get purpose-made 7.9 gallon fermenters that work fine for 23 liter buckets, but you're better off with 10 gallon Rubbermaid Brutes. I use 20 and 32 gallon Brutes, but I'm also making much larger batches.

Wine yeast uses O2 for reproduction. Most folks on the forum cover the fermenter with a towel to keep "stuff" out.

Note that O2 is yeast's friend but it's wine's enemy. Once a wine is past fermentation and degassing, at that time you use the airlock (or vented bung) and limit headspace.

I was planning to start the fermentation in the bucket the must ships in,

The vendor will most likely completely fill the bucket, leaving no room for foaming, or daily stirring. I suggest getting any food grade bucket, split your must into two equal groups, split all your fermentation ingredients into two, at an SG of roughly 1.020, you can combine everything. The furious action of fermentation will have largely slowed down.

So I started out with the idea of making wine, went to Amazon and looked at the kits. Then I started my Freshman year at YouTube University doing research. Within a couple days, I now have an Amazon wishlist of $743 from 28 items to build my own "kit" and become a Vitner. I look at it like this, now I have to make enough batches to average down the cost of the equipment. The Grape must will be a constant, but to justify a couple Carboys, Grape Press, and everything else, the key is volume. Look forward to learning more, I know it will be a long time till I can actually contribute anything worth reading.
Welcome to WMT. I suggest looking for local future friends who make wine and or beer. A local wine making club would be a good start. Ask and shop the local home brew store. Mine beats Amazon by 15-20++% on everything. In my local club, we gifted new members items that we no longer need. I regifted a newbie a fermenter and a hand corker. Others carboys. As stated, make a few simple kits, following the directions faithfully to keep failing low. Overexcited buying candy be costly. After my first year, I have more confidence to really experiment. You will learn a lot padawan. Take your time and enjoy the experience.

welcome to WMT

Arlington Tx, ??? is there a wine making club In Dallas? Other, for example a store which will rent a press & destemer. StVinnies with stainless??
basics paired down:
  • 2x Carboys - Glass (one six gallon big mouth bubbler? )
  • Potassium Metabisulfite (campden tablet) (measuring spoons or scale if you use powder)
  • American Oak Spirals (cubes/chips)
  • Hydrometer / Wine Theif (turkey baster/ syringe)
  • Acid blend (not needed with good grapes/ useful with low acid grapes and country wines)
  • siphon tubing (and suck to start)
  • Lalvin EC-1118 yeast
    • yeast nutrient (organic as Fermaid)
    • Digital pH. meter
    • 750ml bottles (30 recycled screw cap bottles)
    • A pretty label # 9 Corks
    • Double lever corker
If you step back as with the Settlement Cookbook (circa 1905) folks made wine with a container and a balloon (airlock). Grandpa would taste instead of testing. Mom would juice with grapes in a flour sack and twist/ squeeze. ,, You have a lot of toys on your list and I cook so I already had similar function tools when I started.
Basics; wine is a preservative system where one excludes oxygen/ chemical degradation (off flavors) and prevents bacterial infection with pH of 3.5 or less and 11% alcohol (again off flavors). Without a lot of work one can ferment grapes creating a “food safe” beverage. (example grandpa). There are a lot of variations in how one accomplishes this.
Fine Wine also is low titratable acidity plus fruity aromatics (ie quality fruit/ juice) plus masking flavors as oak plus a lot of marketing of the mystique of the beverage.

Good luck on your first fermentation.

One other suggestion I might make is to consider visiting a local brew shop near you. I did a very quick google search and see a few. and consider purchasing a starter kit from them. It will have the basics of things you absolutely must have to get started. A fermentation bucket, carboy, hydrometer, K-Meta (campden tablets, Postassium metabisulphite) and also consider purchasing a wine kit for your first ferment.

I will not say get a floor corker, that's a something you can do when you decide to, not required to start and #8 corks are just fine to start. You will be the exception if you let your wine age much and #8's can be good for a year or two anyway.

Wine Press and most of the other things can wait until you really need them and as others have said, might be available used.

Above all, have fun, enjoy your journey. Don't sweat the small stuff and it's mostly all small stuff, except for cleaning and sanitation.

Welcome. I haven't even bottled my first kit, but I do look at it every day.🤣 it's a fun hobby. I might suggest looking at label peelers, as opposed to Amazon. They were cheaper for me. (I'm not affiliated!)

Planning to start with Cabernet Sauvignon. I've been watching a lot from YouTube channel "The Home Winemaking Channel" and some others.
Equipment list so far
  • 2x 5 Gallon Carboys - Glass (North Mountain Supply) comes with drilled and undrilled bungs, airlock, carboy dryer, handle and cap
  • Carboy cleaner Not entirely necessary.
  • Carboy heat pad belt I don't see the need for this unless your winemaking area is very cold. My cellar varies from 60F to 70 F, I don't need extra heat.
  • Mix-Stir agitator rod You don't need this if you have pastic spoons in your kitchen.
  • Star-San
  • Potassium Metabisulfite
  • American Oak Spirals
  • Fermtech Hydrometer / Wine Theif / Test Jar combo. Hydrometer drops in theif.
  • Wine Cap Punch Not necessary if you have plastic spoons in your kitchen
  • Stainless Steel slotted spoon You've probably got something in your kitchen you can use.
  • Tartaric Acid Not necessary since all kits already have balanced acidity.
  • 1/2" 27" auto siphon with bottle filler/clamp/tubing
  • Lalvin EC-1118 yeast All kits come with yeast, usually EC1118. I keep RC212 and a couple of others to use in place of supplied EC1118
  • North Mountain Supply yeast nutrient Useful but usually not needed when using EC1118
  • Super-Kleer clarifier Kits come with clarifying agents (Kieselsol+Chitosan)
  • Spray bottles for Star-San
  • 3.2 gallon basket wine press - wood basket Needed only if you do fresh fruit.
  • Digital pH.TDS meter Kits are pH baanced so probably don't need (I've never felt a need for this even with fresh fruit)
  • Dark 750ml bottles
  • #8 Corks I'd suggest #9 corks
  • Double lever corker
  • Acidity test strips Kits are acidity balanced so probably don't need. I do titration with fresh fruit.
I've made comments next to items on your list. You definitely will need 1 or 2 7.5 gallon buckets in addition to the other items. You will need a variety of 3L,4L and 1 gallon jugs.

I would highly recommend getting a digital handheld ph meter. I believe ph strips are worthless for getting a clear indication of where the must is at. When using grapes getting the ph in the proper range prior to fermentation is key. I shoot for 3.45 to 3.5 for reds. This is nearly impossible to achieve with strips.

Here was my first ph meter. I would recommend this one. I’m sure there are other that are good as well.

https://a.co/d/0858ss1

Latest posts

Back