Looking to make wine with home grown grapes

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

baron164

Junior
Reaction score
I've been wanting to make wine for years. Over the past few years I've been planting grape vines in my yard and I finally have a couple Concord grape vines that are producing fruit. I'm hoping I'll have enough to make at least a gallon of wine. I've done some research and have a basic understanding of the process. But I thought it might be worth buying a kit for my first attempt. I've been looking at kits on Amazon such as this one: Home Brew Ohio Wine Kit

From what I've gathered if I were to purchase that kit I'd still need some stirring sticks as well as a hydrometer. Outside of that and bottles/corks I'm not sure what else I may need. Since this is my first time I don't know what I don't know so I'm hoping to get some feedback and suggestions as to the best way to proceed.

I've been wanting to make wine for years. Over the past few years I've been planting grape vines in my yard and I finally have a couple Concord grape vines that are producing fruit. I'm hoping I'll have enough to make at least a gallon of wine. I've done some research and have a basic understanding of the process. But I thought it might be worth buying a kit for my first attempt. I've been looking at kits on Amazon such as this one: Home Brew Ohio Wine Kit

From what I've gathered if I were to purchase that kit I'd still need some stirring sticks as well as a hydrometer. Outside of that and bottles/corks I'm not sure what else I may need. Since this is my first time I don't know what I don't know so I'm hoping to get some feedback and suggestions as to the best way to proceed.

Hi! If you want to try using your own grapes but don't think you have enough, consider making a Danger Dave's Dragon Blood wine. You can make a batch with as little as 6 lbs of fruit. I make straight grape versions all the time and my favorite is actually one with Concord grapes.

Wine kits are a great way to go when just starting. They are simple and create good results. When you are just starting, I would suggest going with a 4-6 week kit...quick results with no need to age your wine.

Here is a list of equipment you will need to make a kit wine.

Hope this helps!20200812_201912.jpg

Welcome to WMT @baron164! You’ll love it here.

Ditto for everything @Val-the-Brew-Gal said! The list mentions “sulphite solution” for filling the air lock. That’s Sodium Metabisulfite (Na-meta) or Potassium Metabisulfite (K-meta). You also need that or something like Star San for sterilizing your equipment and vessels. And the solid bung it mentions is cheap but not necessary. A bung with air lock is generally preferred. Most home-brew stores will sell a wine-making kit that should include everything you need to get started. Get 2 hydrometers, because if you don’t, the only one you have is guaranteed to break. 🙂

I like the idea of starting with a kit (or kits). It gets you used to the process, the equipment, and reading a hydrometer. It’s almost a foolproof way to boost your confidence and to get a decent wine you can drink right away while you continue down this road.

Reading a hydrometer is tricky for a beginner, but make sure you practice, and get it right. It is the most important piece of information you need when asking for help. I suggest you take a reading every day, record it in a log book, and taste the must too. This gives you a good idea of how things should progress once you venture out on your own.

And a big thumbs up for making a batch of Dragon Blood or two (or 20) as you venture into making wine from scratch. It is also almost foolproof, and inexpensive, with mountains of great information in the thread, and lots of fans to help you.

Back