New pH meter

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SarahRides

Reaction score
So my Hanna pH meter died about a month or so ago, I am pretty sure it was the electrode. Instead of spending the $50 for a new electrode, I bought a Milwaukee MW102 for about $100. So far it works great! It seemed easier to calibrate than the Hanna. I'm hoping to make a lot of fruit wines this summer, and this will be a huge help! Easier than litmus paper. ;-)

I have a Hanna 91828 which I think is the same as the pHep 5 Purchased from Amazon about a year ago Still worked fine last time I used it (November IIRC). How long did your last?

I see it was made in Mauritius........

If mine goes I will switch to Milwaukee as well more than likely.

I also had the Hanna 91828, I only used it probably a half a dozen times, it stopped calibrating, kept coming up with an error message. I tried using the cleaning solution, soaking it in the storage solution for a few days........still didn't work, so I gave up. I bought it online, unfortunately I don't even remember where from. I've used the new one a few times this weekend (to double check the pH of a few before bottling) and so far I like it!

Sarah - That's the meter I use and I love it. It's so easy to run down a double row of carboys w/o pulling samples and futzing around.

I have one too (higher model 121 or 141???). In fact, we have used 3 of them. The first one died after about 3 years, but I think something happened to the circuit because it read wrong with new electrodes/batteries/etc. After making a few bad batches, we figured it out. :( Now we have 2. Make sure to keep it in solution at all times, clean it occasionally ( I notice they build up a thin white film over time in the solution and read slowly if not cleaned well) and most importantly, keep 4.01 and 7.01 solution on hand to check and calibrate them. I check mine almost every time I use it. Although, working with hundreds of gallons means it needs to work! :)

Last edited:
I have a Mil , sm802. I ruined way to many pens that were not really as water proof as they claimed. This meter also does dissolved solids PPM . It calibrates so easy I often wonder if I did it right. I have a horticulture pen as a back up but have not needed a back up since I got the 802

Back