pH paper and meter comparison

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BigDaveK

Supporting Members
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well, I did it - bought the Apera PH60 meter. I thought some, especially new winemakers, might be interested in a comparison.
I've been using kombucha pH paper for at least 10 years, originally for my kombucha. (Link for my paper below.) Sometimes the number with the paper is obvious, sometimes I have to guess. I have 2 country wines in primary right now and I estimated starting the fermentation for both around pH 3.3. Got my meter and had to compare current measurements.

Wine #1: paper, 3.0 estimate; meter 3.1.
Wine #2: paper, 2.9 guess; meter 3.1.

I was very happy they were so close! For a home wine maker the paper is certainly adequate - and a part of me wishes I would have saved my money. Paper is definitely much more convenient and faster. Though I'm really interested in some high phenolic country wines. It was difficult a couple times last year when my dark musts stained the paper!

I'll be using both out of curiosity for a while. And this is the paper I've been using:

https://www.amazon.com/Kombucha-Ins...1-1-5985efba-8948-4f09-9122-d605505c9d1e&th=1

pH paper is close to useless with highly pigmented wines. Red grape,, blackberry,, mulberry,, aronia . . .etc
pH paper is good enough to get chemical stability with clear juices. Apple,, white grape,,
That was my conclusion. It will probably be months before I finally say "Boy, I'm glad I bought this!"

That was my conclusion. It will probably be months before I finally say "Boy, I'm glad I bought this!"
you should come to that conclusion in a week, the difference between 0.01 unit and +/- 0.5 units is big
your next question should be cleaning, storage, speed the probe responds

Well, I did it - bought the Apera PH60 meter. I thought some, especially new winemakers, might be interested in a comparison.
I've been using kombucha pH paper for at least 10 years, originally for my kombucha. (Link for my paper below.) Sometimes the number with the paper is obvious, sometimes I have to guess. I have 2 country wines in primary right now and I estimated starting the fermentation for both around pH 3.3. Got my meter and had to compare current measurements.

Wine #1: paper, 3.0 estimate; meter 3.1.
Wine #2: paper, 2.9 guess; meter 3.1.

I was very happy they were so close! For a home wine maker the paper is certainly adequate - and a part of me wishes I would have saved my money. Paper is definitely much more convenient and faster. Though I'm really interested in some high phenolic country wines. It was difficult a couple times last year when my dark musts stained the paper!

I'll be using both out of curiosity for a while. And this is the paper I've been using:

https://www.amazon.com/Kombucha-Ins...1-1-5985efba-8948-4f09-9122-d605505c9d1e&th=1
Yea I have a roll of that paper in a drawer since I bought an Apera.

Latest posts

Back