WineXpert Nero Kit stopped bubbling

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tonyportale

Reaction score
Hello,
I just started my Nero D Avola wine kit w/ skins. After 24 hours, the water in the airlock was bubbling like crazy. I have the lid on tight. I took off the lid and pushed the skin bag down into the juice and stirred lightly as the directions say to do. I put the lid back on and since that moment (for the last 24 hours) I have had zero activity in the water filled air lock. Should I be concerned? This is my first kit with the grape skin pack.

Thank you.
Tony

take a reading, using your hydrometer will tell you if fermentation has stopped.

Im willing to bet its fermenting good still and your rubber grommet around your airlock or the rubber gasket around the primary lid isnt getting a good seal anymore.

I am going with Wade's analysis. There should be no reason for it to stop at this point. What is the temperature in your wine area? And as Julie suggested, what was the initial SG and current SG? I assume you have the WineExpert Nero D'Avola with skins. I made this kit and have it bottled. The wine is really great and will only improve if I can stay away from it.

By the way, it sounds like you are still in primary fermentation. Therefor, you don't need to snap down the lid at this point. That will be needed when you go to secondary fermentation (i.e. SG less than 1.020 or so)

Agree with the others above. Unless it cooled down to something crazy cold from where it was. You should be able to see some signs and or hear fermentation as well depending on your eye sight and hearing of course!

Oh yes, I hear it 'working'. It was just strange that all of a sudden after pushing the bag down and then replacing the lid, the bubbling completely stopped in the air lock. The temps have not changed. It smells great. I do not have the lid snapped on, only sitting on the bucket as tightly as possible without snapping down.

Thank you,
Tony

Tony, without the lid snapped down and sealed, the gas escapes around the rim of the bucket and not through the airlock. If you plan to ferment to dry in the primary, just leave everything as you have it now. When you get to about 1.020 SG, squeeze out and remove the bag of skins and then be sure to snapped down the lid for secondary fermentation.

Back