hubble bubble

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

adiv

Junior
Reaction score
Hello guys, 7 days ago I filled a demi John with juice, orange, grape, carrot and pomegranate, all 100% pure. I put 2lb of sugar and 5 gms of champagne yeast and topped up with a small amount of water. I couldn't dissolve all of the sugar and was left with about an inch in the bottom. I use the normal rubber bung airlock and after an hour it was bubbling like crazy. Now, the sugar in the bottom has gone down to a quarter-inch and it is still bubbling like crazy.
I have made lots of cheap easy wine but I didn't know that yeast will eat the undissolved sugar.

Welcome to WMT!

I have made lots of cheap easy wine but I didn't know that yeast will eat the undissolved sugar.
It's more likely the motion produced by fermentation is mixing sugar into suspension. It's a good idea to stir the wine daily, which will hopefully mix the remainder into suspension.

Welcome to WMT!
Well it is still bubbling strongly. In the meangtime I made a couple of small amounts, 2lts of pineapple (still fermenting) and a 1lt cranberry that I have just poured and it is delicious and made with bread yeast.

It's more likely the motion produced by fermentation is mixing sugar into suspension. It's a good idea to stir the wine daily, which will hopefully mix the remainder into suspension.

Attachments

• cranberry1.jpg
    cranberry1.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 0
  • cranberry2.jpg
    cranberry2.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 0
  • mixed1.jpg
    mixed1.jpg
    738 KB · Views: 0
  • mixed2.jpg
    mixed2.jpg
    813.3 KB · Views: 0
ANYWAY (sorry about that) I have just bottled some pineapple wine, but I drank both bottles and am struggling to type this. it is a bit sour but it seems to work, in other words, I can hardly see the keyboard and this has already taken 30 mins to write, looks like it worked, some pics.

Attachments

• pineapple.jpg
    pineapple.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 0
WELL i am very drunk still got half a bottle leftn but tommorrow i will bottle or rack the demi john, watch tjhis space
Anyway, guys, I drank a bottle and half of the pineapple then had to go to bed lol.
I transfered the contents of the demijohn into a plastic demi after the hydrometer sunk to the bottom, right off the scale. anyway, so I have done 2 bottles so that I could sample it. so this is what it is like.
sweet, fruity, and it sort of burns your throat in a very pleasant way, you know what I mean, so here is a picture of the stuff before it melts the glass.
have a great day
Ivor

Attachments

• sweet1.jpg
    sweet1.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 0
  • sweet2.jpg
    sweet2.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 0
Thank you ChuckD, and I know that you are very right. Problem is that like whisky, my homemade wine gets better the more that you drink and so I am now, I know this is weird but I am on 2 *3rd of the 2nd glass and am struggling to type this.
ok, guys, I am very drunk now and I am going to take ChuckD's advice and put it away. not going to bottle it yet and give it a bit of time in the cheap plastic demi.
but, i am going now to make some very strong cider. my best so far is 9.5% but i am going to try and make it as strong as poss without turning to wine.
watch this spac.

Hello Bryan, i agree, and next will be a gallon of scrumps and then i want to try and do a gallon of lager, and then i will try and make more wine but properly lol.
You're going to find (if you haven't already) that gallon batches are not worth your time. For experimental batches and folks whose consumption is much lower, gallons are great, but your consumption is higher.

I make a couple of longer aging reds each year (~20 US gallons each) and additional 5 to 7 gallon batches of whites, fruits, and lighter reds for quicker consumption.

Latest posts

Back