Need Sympathy Trio Blanca GONE!

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vscottcolorado

Reaction score
I had to vent somewhere and I thought I could get the most sympathy
smiley19.gif
here where people understand what it means to lose 6 gals of a limited release kit.
Until my dedicated wine room is completed I have been using my son's walk-in closet since he is away at school for my bulk aging and wine racks. I was needing more wine rack space so I built a new design, (first pic below). Got everything rearranged this morning and was admiring my handy work and the amount of wine the new rack would hold and glanced at the new rack just in time to see 4 bottles of Viognier slide out of the left hand vertical section, hit the carpet, and bounced against my Carboy of Trio Blanca. They say a picture is worth a 1000 words, in this case tears!
The only thing I can think of is that I had Chard style bottles on the bottomwith Cab style on top which made it unstable.

20100405_194720_IMGP3170.JPG

Yes that is a bottle of Viognier laying inside the broken carboy of empty Trio Blanca. Not one of the 4 bottles of Viognier broke.

20100405_195016_IMGP3176.JPG

20100405_195345_IMGP3175.JPG

Oh my ...........
After that I would only be buying these

<table ="Catalog" id="products" align="center" border="1" bordercolor="#000000" cellpadding="2" cellspacing="0" width="100%"><t><tr><td ="table" align="default" width="2%"><div align="center">BB05
</td>
<td width="5%"><div align="center">
%5Cimages%5Cbb_6g_plain_sm.jpg
</td>
<td width="20%">

6-Gallon Better-Bottle </td></tr></t></table>

Actually about 3 weeks ago I just traded my last 2 better bottles for 2 glass ones since I have been using a vacuum pump. Go figure

I have seen this style of rack before. Nothing special but until I can get bottles back in I really can't figure out what happened. Had to be odd shaped bottles together.

Well Scott,

I will tell you two things!!!

First, I am sorry this happened

Second, I have this kit bulk aging as we speak and will send you some bottles upon completion.....

send me your address via pm and I will make it happen

Scott,

We all feel your pain. I can't imagine. Can't believe the Viognier survived to live another day. Thats one tough white!

So veeeerrryyyyy sorry for your loss.........
smiley19.gif

I am familiar with that style rack, but all the ones I have seen had slats to hold every bottle on the sides. They are just little slats attached to the uprights that separate the bottles so your experience doesn't happen. Below is a picture of one I am talking about. I just don't want such a tradgedy to occur again.

20100406_064026_8col_menu.jpg
144_winerack.html

vscott,soooooo sorry for your loss!! But, sounds like your buddy is going to hook you up with a couple of bottles.
smiley4.gif

Appleman:
I have 2 of this design in there now. This one holds 88 and another holds 112. Since I was limited on space I was looking for something to hold as many bottles as possible and use if for bulk storage in my new wine area and not touch anything on that rack. I have made 18 kits since march of '09 and have less then 130 bottles in the closet, (give aways and drinking early). My philosophy now is not "if it taste good drink it", but "Just image how good it will be with at least a year of age".
20100406_080048_IMGP3174.JPG

PAwinedude:
You made a "VERY BAD DAY" a little lighter with your post. thanks so very much for the offer. But let's do a trade....PM me your address as welland I will swap a couple of bottles of WE limited release Petite Verdo (2 kits in secondary) or WE limited release Brunello (2 kits waiting to start this week).
My small local dealer did a kick off in November and had a tasting of the Commercial equivalent thatWE had sent out on the Limited Release kits. We werereally looking forward to the Trio Blanca. Had tasted it at bulk racking and knew it was going to be good.

I think you have been busier than me this year! But I have a chance to catch up as possibly pass you. I have 15 kits made, 1 on deck and my 1 year anniversary is not until this July!

As long as George doesn't have a sale on the few kits I really have my eye on you might just eek it out.
smiley36.gif

vscottcolorado said:
I have made 18 kits since march of '09 and have less then 130 bottles in the closet, (give aways and drinking early). 

Mike:
You are probably ahead with the style of kits you have made! I have only made 11 kits of 16L or more. I was playing with the smaller 10-12L kits byadding Shirazand Cab skins to them from last fall's grapes. The 18 also includes2 Island mist kits which I really don't count, made them into Sangria. But Wait....The 18 does not include my Trio Blanca (Gone to the wine gods in the sky), 2 WE LR Petit Verdot (in secondary), and 2 WE LR Italian Brunello (sitting in the office waiting to start). So let's do the math.. 18 + 5 = 23 23 -3 (2 island Mist and 1 Trio Blanca) = 20 20 - 2.5 (1/2 credit on the smaller 10-12L kits) = 17.5 Kits. OK we are still close
smiley1.gif

PAwinedude said:
Well Scott,

I will tell you two things!!!

First, I am sorry this happened

Second, I have this kit bulk aging as we speak and will send you some bottles upon completion.....

send me your address via pm and I will make it happen

smiley19.gif
smiley19.gif
smiley19.gif
smiley19.gif
smiley19.gif
smiley19.gif
smiley19.gif
smiley19.gif
smiley19.gif
smiley19.gif
smiley19.gif
smiley19.gif
Mine broke too !!!

Have never had that experience scott and hope I dont. Sorry about your loss man

That's a bummer. I'm sure you will be rethinking the rack design and storage location of carboys after that.
Good luck and you have a good buddy there to hook you up.

Many thanks to all of you! I saved the top half of the carboy to take my handle off. Last night I was looking at it and the side that the bottle hit is right at or a little less then a 1/16" thick. The rest of the bottle is more then a 1/4" thick. This is a 6.5 gal. Does not have the ribs around it like my other 5&amp;6 gallons. Does anyone think this could be defective?

Just another thought here... I have 2 other 6.5's bought from the same supplier. I use a vacuum pump to degas, rack, filter, and bottle. Any chance they might implode with 20-25" of vacuum pulled?

vscottcolorado said:
Mike:
You are probably ahead with the style of kits you have made!  I have only made 11 kits of 16L or more.  I was playing with the smaller 10-12L kits by adding Shiraz and Cab skins to them from last fall's grapes.  The 18 also includes 2 Island mist kits which I really don't count, made them into Sangria.  But Wait....The 18 does not include my Trio Blanca (Gone to the wine gods in the sky), 2 WE LR Petit Verdot (in secondary), and 2 WE LR Italian Brunello (sitting in the office waiting to start).  So let's do the math.. 18 + 5 = 2323 - 3 (2 island Mist and 1 Trio Blanca) = 20  20 - 2.5 (1/2 credit on the smaller 10-12L kits) = 17.5 Kits.  OK we are still close
smiley1.gif

I started in June last year and i have done 24 kits to date ( 4 mist kits included in the 24) .

I have also bought 2 kits which i am hiding from my better half and i ordered 2 more kits which should be here soon.

My name is Dan and i'm a winemakeraholic!!

Dan R

Latest posts

Back