Need some help

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

robodog2008

Junior
Reaction score
Hi All

I want to try my new vacuum pump for the first time this morning but ran into a problem. When I turned on the pump I had a volcano. The wine was going everywhere. I step the pump up the one I saw in the How To Tutorials. What did I do wrong?

Thanks for your help.
smiley32.gif

I assume you were using the pump to degas. If that were the case, you need to begin the degassing process with a very low vacuum and gradually increase the vacuum as the quantity of gas released decreases. It is also helpful to leave a reasonable amount of headspace in the carboy for some foaming to occur.

Did you stir your wine first. I remove 1/3-1/2 gallon of wine from the carboy first. Then I stir it pretty good to drive off the bulk of the gas. Then I use the vacuum starting off very low and then slowly increase the vacuum as Smoke grub states. I remove that amount of wine to prevent the several volcanoes I have experienced. I slowly add the rest of the wine back in as I finish degassing.

Did you get the carboy too full, too quickly? That would be my guess.

When Im racking a wine I only use around 5-8" of vacuum. Using more then that especially towards the end will result in what you have just discovered.

Like Wade said, use less vacuum. If you use too much, you get too much foaming- not really the volcano, just too much foam that can get sucke through into the trap. Slow it down a bit and you will finish quicker because there won't be any cleanup.

Latest posts

Back