NANKING CHERRIES

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NorthernWinos

Reaction score
The Nanking Cherries are blooming...kind of windy today for bees to pollinate, but did hear a few out there....
After years of grazing on the cherries a couple time each year...then letting the birds eat them in a matter of days....I saw a recipes on Jack Keller's Site for Nanking Cherry Wine......So...this year I have great expectations of making some wine out of them....

NcherrySmall.jpg

Northern,
That looks very nice and peaceful. Hope you can keep the birds away from all them cherries.

Northern, as Cajun said, it looks very peaceful there. I think a little waterscape there would make it my tranquil getaway!

Great spot NW. I don't know how you fit all that work in a day to maintain everything. Is that arbor made out of wagon wheels? Too cool!

Appleman....yes the arbor is made out of wheels....packer wheels from and old grain drill...we were at a farm auction and they were in a pile...I bought them all for $9...Jim said 'what did you want those for'...I drew him a plan and once again he fulfilled my dreams.

With other fruit when they are near ready I'll put some bird netting up....it works with other berries and hope to get them this year and give the wine a try...Hope they pollenate....was terribly windy yesterday and a few days of rain ahead.Edited by: Northern Winos

Here are a couple more photos of Nanking Cherries....they are the first tree/bush to bloom here...For anyone interested, think they would grow anywhere in the country...other trees and bushes are budding.

1Small-1.jpg

2Small-1.jpg
Edited by: Northern Winos

Northern Winos said:
I drew him a plan and once again he fulfilled my dreams.

Now how sweet is that............ brings a tear to my eye....

Nice pictures, I wish I had a peacefull resting place like that to go sit and read a book, or just take a knap........ Someday...... sigh.........Edited by: jobe05

Northern Smorthern,your not northern at all....I thought u were very northern, your at least 6 weeks ahead of us here when it comes to climate
smiley36.gif
. it snowed on wednesday night here, its gone again but it snowed dang it all
smiley2.gif

Really though very beautiful area you should be proud!

Had a fun day yesterday...Went to the city to pick up a few things....on the way saw a garage sale out in the country [those are usually interesting] Picked up a scooter...
Picture002Small.jpg

You don't get much for twenty-five bucks.

Found the folks who sell Tamales on Cinco de Mayo...then took a side trip to the Bare-root warehouse....Picked up 4 more Nanking Cherries, another Nannyberry and Buffalo Berry for my old plants who need a mate, also got another Ohio Buckeye...love that little tree....So...my wine garden has a few more plants in it....

Got everything planted in hurricane winds, but barely got a sprinkle while it rained like crazy not far away....Hope we get some rain today...

Hey, I had 1 of those when I was about 10 years old. I hope its not the
same 1 as it wouldnt stay running for more then 2 days at a pop without
working on something.

You are so lucky! A few years ago I picked Timmy (my Youngest) up at the bus stop and told him that we were going to play hookie today, and not tell anyone. I had told my wife, but it made him feel better thinking he was getting away with something. It was a friday, and I told Timmy that we were going to go Garage Selling to find him a mini bike like the one you found. We traveled over 400 miles that day and couldn't find anything. At the end of te day, poor Timmy really had his heart set on that Mini Bike. We finally found one at the little country hardware store up the road..... He wanted $800 for it.... I baught it, got it home, Timmy drove it about 10 feet and was afraid of it!..............

I am finding that I need a bigger yard for all the plants that I need to make wine with, you pretty lucky there too...

This one has a Briggs & Stratton motor on it and starts right up...so it's not an original Arctic Cat.

Had an old honda 50...Wow seeing you sit on that bike jogs alot of memories!!Thanks for that!

NW, Briggs & Stratton's are the best right along with Kohler. My
old 1 had a Tecumseh and it was a P.O.S. Although Tecumseh has come a
long way, they still dont produce a motor that runs when warm but they
do make a pretty darn good snowblower engine. Its funny that their
motors just dont run well in warmth! Never did and probably never will
if they havent figured it out by now.

Well if the dog chases it, that a good sign he really likes it. Kind of like a dog chasing cars- they love to do it, but when they finally catch up with it they have a hel... of a time trying to bury it!

Finally the wind has stopped, after such a storm we barely got 1/2" of rain...

Sun came out today and the flowers opened...

CherryBushSmall.jpg

The branches are loaded....wait till you see this fruit if you've not seen them before...

CherryBranchSmall.jpg

And the Bumble Bee's were working them over...

BumbleBeeSmall.jpg

Wow... How pretty.

If everyone of those little flowers bears fruit........... Your going to be very busy.........

Very happy, but very busy...

Latest posts

Back