My winemaking area.

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Way better then how I started but we all deal with it and slowly up grade. Heres a shot of when I first started in a basment that would flood every time it rained and I mean water actually shooting up through the floor like a fountain! ... Do you see the gradual money savings? Hehehehehe

Very impressive! One question: what's going on with the blue/white coolers?

Thats where grains for beer are converting there starches into sugar to form the wort which is a beer term for must (unfermented beer) The top cooler heats up water to soak and then also to rinse the grains below and then it all goes into the keggle to boil off.

That's how it began for me too. Now the obsession has gotten out of hand!

Wow. That's quite a 'hobby' you have going there. If my wife gets ornery, I'll show her your picture.

I have 10 carboys and 12 gallon jugs tucked into a crevasse behind the basement steps. I start in the finished basement room, and then move to the hideaway when it hits the secondary.

Wade,
That is disgustingly neat. A place for everything and everything is where it belongs. Mine is closer to what you think of when you hear wine celler. I do not have dirt walls, but other than that, pretty plain. Not to change the subject, but 100 posts and it is a miracle, I magically became a senior member. lol Arne.

Koom,
Wade kinda stole your thunder, but that is a nice setup too. Course he has probably been working at it a lot longer than you have. Like the water setup close to you. Bought a deep sink the other day, now all I have to do is plumb it in. Gonna go rite by the wine bench. Will be nice having water and thinking about keeping my eyes open for a cheap used electric stove. Be nice not carrying hot stuff down the stairs.

Koom,
Wade kinda stole your thunder, but that is a nice setup too. Course he has probably been working at it a lot longer than you have. Like the water setup close to you. Bought a deep sink the other day, now all I have to do is plumb it in. Gonna go rite by the wine bench. Will be nice having water and thinking about keeping my eyes open for a cheap used electric stove. Be nice not carrying hot stuff down the stairs.

You can also buy a single-eyed burner. I use this in my basement regularly, and it works well to boil a large pot.

Didnt mean to steal your thinder, more to show you what your room will look like ina few years!!!!!!!!! I too have found a deep slop sink and too need to get it plumbed in, it wont be in my wine room but just on the other side of the door inbetween the wwasher and dryer, just no room in the winery and thats too bad as I actually have hot and cold water right there. As you can see from my first pic you have a way better set up then when i started.

Wade, You didn't steal my thunder! LOL I like to see all the setups especially yours WOW !!! My pic was just a corner of a room in the basement...hopefully I will be expanding soon (if I can get all the boxes out of it). My birthday is this week and hopefully my kind wife will buy me some more carboys.

Here is my wine and beer making room. A work in progress. The stainless steel sink still needs plumbing which I plan to do shortly. DSCF1560.jpg

DSCF1562.jpg

Wade, I'm liking your wine racks, can you give me more info, did you build or purchase...

Built. I didnt make any plan or anything but I do have some pics with a tape measure against them if that helps you.

Rack dimension 1.jpg

Rack dimension 2.jpg

Rack dimension 3.jpg

A desk, I would love a desk in my wine room. A place to sit and hear them bubble. Plus a proper place to organize recipes, etc.
Nice room...

There is indeed a desk in there. There are actually two. Did you notice that carpet was also in the room. This was originally a converted attached garage into a bedroom, now the wine making room. Lett's hope I don't have a major Catasorfy as some on this forum has have.:dg

There is indeed a desk in there. There are actually two. Did you notice that carpet was also in the room. This was originally a converted attached garage into a bedroom, now the wine making room. Lett's hope I don't have a major Catasorfy as some on this forum has have.:dg

As a motorcyclist, I've always heard that "it's not whether you crash, but when" (and I've totalled two bikes). Probably same concept would apply to us aswinemakers: it's not whether you've had a major spill, but when (and I've had a couple!)

As a motorcyclist, I've always heard that "it's not whether you crash, but when" (and I've totalled two bikes). Probably same concept would apply to us aswinemakers: it's not whether you've had a major spill, but when (and I've had a couple!)

This makes me remember the very valuable lesson of "remember to close the tank valve before I rack my wine!

Latest posts

Back