My wine is this clear enough?! Should I bottle? Picture attached

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Cant tell, too dark. Take it outside and try and get a good shot from top/side down in bright but indirect light.

I have found it useful to pour the wine into a plain wine goblet, i.e. with no pattern, ridges, etc. and tilt the glass over a bright white sheet of paper in good sunlight.

That question is somewhat relative. Clear enough for one person may not be for another and vice versa.

With that said, I assume that is the Super Sugar Welch's. It appears, by the photo, that it could be clearer, if you really want it technically clear. Again, it is really up to you.

If you are ok with it, the taste is ok, then call it good.

Yes it is wineforfun!
Sadly I have no sunlight... it's raining haha
but I'm going to leave it in my secondary and clear till Saturday and I'll bottle it then. It tastes GREAT! I'm just worried about more sediment settling in the bottle

About a month but this is a short recipe it finishes fast doesn't really age that much

More than likely you may have some sediment in the bottles. If you are that concerned about it, then let it sit longer in the carboys.
If not, bottle it up and enjoy.

That wine is like grape juice on steroids...............good stuff.

So ,,, What kind is it?? How many times have you racked it??? If you're wanting it in a bottle soon, I'd rack it over once/month for 3-4 months. you'll see less sediment each time till there may not be any. That'll help degass as well. Then go ahead and bottle!

Hmm I'm so excited (impatient)
I think I'm going to bottle it soon :) already starting an awesome label! I can't wait another month!
I'm thirsty!
Cheers

Well, if you wait another month(s) you won't have to decant every bottle into another container so that the sediment clouds it. Also you won't have to field the questions from people you give it away to about what that stuff in the bottom of the bottle is and will it hurt me? I get the excitement. It's like bottling before you degass it properly. Then you have to uncork all 30 bottles, put the wine in a carboy, degass, rebottle and recork.

Don't mean to be a bummer, but it takes the edge off the excitement a bit. Been there, done that.

People here have done that before and are trying to spare you the possible disappointments that may arise from bottling too early. Time is your friend.

Last edited:
So now is the time to get another batch of it going so you can let it sit longer, while you drink this batch.
Best of both worlds.

I wish!!! :( I only have one carboy and one bucket fermenter! Once I bottle this one (30 bottles) then I'll start the other one the same day!!

Well........

As I always say, more carboys are the solution to nearly any problem. :)

In this case, it truly is the solution. Having an extra carboy means that you're not under any pressure to bottle your othe batch. Then you can do what's beneficial for the batch, which is to let it age in the carboy a bit. Time will clear it.

Heather

Looking to buy a PET carboy and bucket online unless someone wants to send me one for free [emoji23]thanks heather :)

Latest posts

Back