My Second Batch....Altered Dragon's Blood.

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I am enjoying this. I hope you end up with something that's incredible. Only downfall to that would be, Could you do it again?Lol
When Dave posted his recipe he did say to use,modify or process any way you chose. You've just taken it the farthest so far Lol
Please keep the updates coming! :b

I'm watching all of this...overwhelmed by a sense of utter amazement.

This could be wine! :dg

Seth,
Of all of the people on this forum, I suspected that you would be able to see the actions and reactions, from the HydrogenPeroxide guessing game. I even suspected that you'd be able to confirm my decisions.

But, maybe I haven't displayed enough evidence, for you to "buy in."

It's ok if you don't. You won't be alone. There are plenty of skeptics in this thread, already.

Either way,

....to summarize....

**OverSulfited and OverSugared, in the beginning.... so much that the fermentation process didn't start.

**Guessed on the amount of Hydrogen Peroxide to be added.... and Fermentation started...

**then made a Management Decision, to add more Sulfites, because TOO much Hydrogen Peroxide was added..... and that was based off of the reactions of the filtered and racked sample that was in the SG tube. But also the reaction to the 2nd dose Nutrient and how it started "Foaming", when it was added to the must.

But like it has been said

A LOT

I'm guessing....and stumbling through it, trying to figure it out...

How did you know too much Hydrogen peroxide was added? Perhaps it was too little? Or too much? Or just right? What evidence do you have that proves it was too much? Adding nutrient to any batch of wine that is fermenting will cause it to foam up due to the addition of nucleation points which allows gas bubbles to form and escape form solution.

I am not sure I know what you are talking about when you describe this

"then made a Management Decision, to add more Sulfites, because TOO much Hydrogen Peroxide was added..... and that was based off of the reactions of the filtered and racked sample that was in the SG tube."

I honestly do not think it is possible to gauge how much peroxide would need to be added to a wine to bind a certain amount of SO2 without first testing for how much SO2 you have.

I point all this out not because I am trying to be a skeptic or devils advocate but, sometimes it is best to let the fermentation just go and do its thing. Ie, in the first place I think the best solution would have been multiple splash racking to bind enough SO2 to allow fermentation to proceed along with lowering the initial gravity.

Also, something else to consider So2 is a natural by product of fermentation thus, I would not feel the need to be dropping any extra in during fermentation in the form of tablets.

RMWO, I have to say you have my respect.
I have been making wine for a few years now, by no means as knowledgeable as other on this board, but I have read through this thread twice now
And your "never give up" attitude is to be admired.
I am enjoying reading all of this and let me encourage you to "don't give up now".
So much of this discussion is way over my head, but wow, the stuff your going through and the adding, the measuring etc....buddy, you just need to drink some wine!

Cheers to ya.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back