My Second Batch....Altered Dragon's Blood.

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
If it's giving off CO2 it would be fermenting!? Yes?

I would really stop consuming hyrdogen peroxide if I were you. I know it's just trace amounts, but I cringe every time I hear someone doing this. The FDA would agree. It reacts with sulfite in wine to produce sulphuric acid, and can damage your wine in many other ways. There are other methods for dealing with these problems that do not cause more problems.

But the decision is strictly up to you. I just cannot imagine myself ever adding peroxide to any of my wines, no matter how bad they got.

Have you done this before with any degree of success? I could be totally misinformed.

Repeated splash racking. Just like the peroxide, you're attempting to "oxidize" the sulfites out of the wine. You can usually smell the sulfites as they come out during racking. That's one of the ways the sulfite protects the wine, by bonding with the oxygen to prevent oxidizing of the wine.

I know you'll make the right choice for you, and I'm sure the small amount of peroxide you are using is negligeable...it just makes me nervous...for you. It's the EMT in me talking.

That's very interesting. I would reference the articles I have read regarding the use of peroxide in wine and one of the byproducts, sulphuric acid...but never mind.

You do what you feel is right. You might still get this batch to turn out perfect! Keep at it! :h

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back