MY FIRST WINE FOR 2008

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think a fridge would work great Waldo. Keeps it a constat temp which is cold. Just leave it there for a few weeks.

useing cold fermentation or just useing it for for another sorce of finding,keeps the fun in the loop,to cold and you will distort the flovor from the liguid and the acholo from the water and might have a hard time realining the comdonation ,it could get weak from to cold,this is true

Waldo, do you remember how much water you had to add when using 42 lbs of grapes? Also, I'm curious why you had to cold stabilize the wine...was the TA wayyyy out of whack?
Edited by: space

cold stabilization,can be used as i stated above,as long as all the fermentation is completed however using it in another technique you can also ferment in the cold under the proper condition's,thats why i stated it keeps th fun in the loop knowing has to be out of wack/////////////

http://www.sweetim.com/s.asp?im=gen&ref=12

Waldo had like you said to much acidity and he reduced with acid reducer which usually needs colder temps for the wine to drop out of suspension cream of tartar(wine diamonds) which is tartaric acid formed into an acid salt. the colder temps alone can do this but at a much slower rate.

I have my first wine of tne year ,It is BlackberryAnd i started it Jan.1 08.

the second tome i racked it, it smelled sour So i started degassing it ,It smells better now just a little sour, is this mormal? It taste pretty good

Harry

Hi Harry, how are things in Texas. My Blackberry don't smell sour, smells like Blackberries, but I'm not a expert vino maker so what do I know lol.
Tomy
smiley2.gif

Blackberries are high in malic acid and that may be what you are smelling.

My first wine for 2008
Has met a most "tear jerking" fate.
In June, right before the family reunion, I moved it, along with two other carboys of wine from the bar area of our dining room to the back of the dining room. Aboutfive-six days later I discovered the bung/airlock had either popped out or one of the cats had knocked it out. Anyhow, my Muscadine had several fruit flies in it and I had to pour it out
smiley19.gif
smiley19.gif
smiley19.gif

So this is what happened to the Muscadine I read on you other post today. Sorry to hear of your loss. It's too late now, but next time don't assume it is bad. You could take and add an extra dose of k-meta and rebung it for a couple months to see if they contaminated it. I have found that sometimes the extra k-meta dose will keep the acetobactor from turning the wine to vinegar.

Latest posts

Back