Mosti Mondiale My first all juice kit showed up leaking

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

onin24eagle

Reaction score
I got my first MM all juice merlot kittoday. I was surprised to see after opening it that some of the juice had leaked onto the underside of the lid, plastic packages, the lables were all wet, and generally juice splatter all over.

I am curious if this has been the case with everyone or anyone elses?

I have never had any of the MM juices arrive leaking, except the frozen must which they are working on a solution for. If you bought it from George at FVW, give him a call or shoot off an e-mail. Let him know the extent of how bad it is and I am certain he will address the problem to your satisfaction. A few pictures can help him see what went wrong.

I had an MMMasters Edition arrive with leakage and George took care of it right away.
In my case, the kit arrived and I was away for a week or so. Consequently, I didn't get to it on the day of arrival. When I returned, there was mold growing on the cardboard box! I called George and he sent a replacement immediately but also suggested I could possibly make this one work too. So I got all the moldy stuff off the bag, cleaned and sanitized the bag, and poured it into a primary. It is now bulk aging in a 5 gallon carboy in the cellar. Progress tasting seems to indicate it will be good - but not quite asgood as the replacement kit George recommended and sent. (He thought Granbarolo might be more to my liking than the Rojo Encantando I had selected without consulting him. He was sure right!)
Hope you bought the AJ from George
smiley2.gif
!

I did buy it from George. Since starting this hobby a few months ago, my Parents and I have spent quite a bit at The Wine Makers Toy Store. I didn't look too closely at it yet except to open the lid, pull out the loose small bags, and some lables and paperwork, etc. All of that stuff had very small traces of juice on them. I guess I'll have to pull the huge bag of juice up and out of the container to see exactly how much has escaped the bag. There could be a big puddle at the bottom for all I know. Should I be concerned? I mean the container was sealed, so I would think everything should be ok eh?

I would be concerned. The sterile side of the bag enclosing the must has been compromised.Depending on where the leak is and how long it has been leaking, it could be a problem. I think I just got lucky. But, I did get good guidance from George so I would trust his judgement.

Not sure how MM fills the containers, but perhaps this was a quality assurance/filling issue more than a leak?
- Jim

JimCook said:
Not sure how MM fills the containers, but perhaps this was a quality assurance/filling issue more than a leak?
- Jim

Good point. When I get a chance, I'll pull the bag out, rinse all the splatter off, dry the bag, and see if any leaks re-appear. If not, that should be a good indication the juice was not from my bag. Either way though there is definitely a quality assurance issue at MM.

I had a WE 15L kit (Shiraz) arrive with a pinhole that allowed a few tablespoons to leak out during shipment, whichsoaked intothe cardboard box and was moldy. George said as long as the must still inside the bag looked and smelled OK to go ahead and make it anyway. I did and had no problems. Your kit still might be just fine, but let George make the call.

There is no need to be concerned. The pressure from the bag forces the liquid out and normally air does not get in. If you see mold in the bag, then you have a problem. Otherwise the kit will be fine.

I have made over 40 leakers without 1 single failure and I started my Meglioli Pinot Grigio yesterday that had started fermenting in the bag. Tasted great, smelled great and so we started it. Added the bentonite, yeast and off she went.

With that being said, I do GUARANTEEeverything I sell. If you have a concern, please give me a call.

geocorn said:
There is no need to be concerned. The pressure from the bag forces the liquid out and normally air does not get in. If you see mold in the bag, then you have a problem. Otherwise the kit will be fine.

I have made over 40 leakers without 1 single failure and I started my Meglioli Pinot Grigio yesterday that had started fermenting in the bag. Tasted great, smelled great and so we started it. Added the bentonite, yeast and off she went.

With that being said, I do GUARANTEEeverything I sell. If you have a concern, please give me a call.

Thanks George, and it's good to know I'm not the only one having this issue. I never once thought you wouldn't take care of me if you needed to. I still haven't pulled the bag out to look at it closely, but I will tomorrow.

Well, I tried to pull the bag out of the pale to see exactly how much juice leaked out, but that's way to hard to do. I decided to just open it, pick up the whole pale, and pour it into the primary. I saw no mold anywhere, so I'm hoping I'll be ok. I almost feel stupid trying to make this work because everyone talks so much about sterilization. I'm pretty sure the juice that soaked my lables, and loose literature in the pale is now in my primary fermenter. I don't suppose they sterilized the literature before dropping it in the pale?
smiley4.gif

If I were you I would have just racked from the inside of the bag to the pail instead of possibly contaminating the whole batch. Hope all goes well.

wade said:
If I were you I would have just racked from the inside of the bag to the pail instead of possibly contaminating the whole batch. Hope all goes well.

Hmmm, never thought about racking from the bag. Wish I had thought of that. The more I think about my first all juice experience, the more upset I get. Doubt I'll invest in any more MM.

onin24eagle said:
The more I think about my first all juice experience, the more upset I get. Doubt I'll invest in any more MM.

Oh no!! Don't say that!! You will miss out on some wonderful wine and that would be a shame! All manufacturers have problems on occasion. Don't let this episode taint your future kit choices!

As Joan says, all kits are prone to having leaks here and there, they do a lot of traveling and sometimes with some non-caring delivery people. The All-juice bucket is the safest in my opinion and are a better wine then most other kits so please dont be discouraged by 1 mishap.

Okay, I'll try to keep my frustration with my first all juice kit in check. I do think there should be a way to keep these things from leaking, and there definitely is no excusefor not putting all the ingrediants in the kit. I really hope this thing turns out ok.

onin24eagle,

I don't like to hear about frustrating wine making experiences, but I accept the fact that it happens on occassion which is why I guarantee everything I sell. Give me a call or send me an email and we will send a replacement kit, new kit or refund. It is your choice.

By the way, I have shipped 6 literup to 23 liter kits made by the following companies:

1. <LI>Winexpert</LI>
    <LI>Mosti Mondiale</LI>
    <LI>RJ Spagnols</LI>
    <LI>Heron Bay (formerely Wine Art)</LI>
    <LI>Cellar Craft</LI>

and it doesn't make a difference. They all have leakers on occasions. Theyalso all have instances when the ingredients packs are left out or missing items. That is why we try to maintain extra add packson hand to ship when this happens.
I would hate to see you give up on any brand after a bad experience. I will guarantee that if you make enough wine, this will not be your last "memorable" wine.

Look forward to hearing from you.

geocorn said:
onin24eagle,

I don't like to hear about frustrating wine making experiences, but I accept the fact that it happens on occassion which is why I guarantee everything I sell. Give me a call or send me an email and we will send a replacement kit, new kit or refund. It is your choice.

By the way, I have shipped 6 literup to 23 liter kits made by the following companies:

1. <LI>Winexpert
    <LI>Mosti Mondiale
    <LI>RJ Spagnols
    <LI>Heron Bay (formerely Wine Art)
    <LI>Cellar Craft</LI>

and it doesn't make a difference. They all have leakers on occasions. Theyalso all have instances when the ingredients packs are left out or missing items. That is why we try to maintain extra add packson hand to ship when this happens.
I would hate to see you give up on any brand after a bad experience. I will guarantee that if you make enough wine, this will not be your last "memorable" wine.

Look forward to hearing from you.

George,

Thanks for your concern. I really do appreciate it. Why don't we wait and see what happens with this batch since you and others think it will be fine. If at some point it looks like it won't work out, we can explore alternatives then okay?

Thanks

That is fine with me, but be sure to save the date code from the kit. It is the little white sticker with black numbering. There should have been one on the lid and another on the bag cap.

By the way, do you need the additives pack and instructions. I do have spares and can send one out tomorrow. Let me know.

Latest posts

Back