my fermentation is stuck!!! :(

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

soflavino

Reaction score
I racked first time when my ferment slowed down to a carboy with airlock once my sg went to .993 and added more honey and some ffresh fruit through a juicer, and my airlock isnt bubbling!!! :( i got my sg back up to 1.013 and nothing and its been two days now HELLLLPPP!!! What should I do??

If you fermented to .993, you were dry. Why would you want to re-ferment? Did you add KMeta and Sorbate when you racked? If so, you stabilized the wine and shouldn't get any more fermentation.

No I just simply racked.. i made 16% avb so far and im using premier cuvee and that strain is supposed to handle 18....

Is campden tablets kmeta or sorbate i ddnt use it in racking, just a random question...

Calm down, Take a deep breath..... and relax.

If you have some nutrient or enagizer add that into the must. Oxygenate it very well it to give the yeast some foods. Possibly try and warm the must up..

That is about all you can do at this point. It is possible when you racked with such a high ABV that you lost enough yeast that it does not really want to press on all that fast..

However, even if your fermentation is completely stuck I would not fear.. Their is yet still hope.

1.013 is kinda sweet, however, many people find that quite enjoyable and it may infact be needed to balance out your somewhere less than 16% abv wine.

My advice, if it is indeed stuck, give it some time, let it age.. And enjoy a what will potentially be a very nice blueberry wine.

soflavino...what is the temperature of the wine? Low temps will slow the ferment. Visible signs of fermentation can be useless. Get a new sg reading.

Steve

I agree - use a hydrometer to determine where you are at with fermentation.

.993 is pretty dang dry - might not have anymore sugars to eat up...

Is it normal if it dies out before its capacity??

Yes. It will stop once all the sugars are consumed (it's dry). When your hydro was reading .993, you were done (unless you added more sugar). The percentages for alcohol tolerance are probably maximums and I wouldn't normally expect most wines to get to those levels.

Its 75 to 77 degrees constant i had it last at . 993 and added more honey with some mango from my juice and it came back up to 1.013, i started with 1.103 its papaya mango and banana

Im using premier cuvee strand that says should handle 18%... i know im not making regular wine hehe im making what i like best i like it strong to where i only need a lil bit, just something to make my buddies say daaaaaannng and of course for the mrs lol

It is hard as hell and next to impossible to get a 993 to restart even if you add more sugar(honey). Up side is 1.03 is the best sweetness level for mead(IMO). Bulk age it for at least a year, just in case it does decide to start again. I will bet this will be some real good mead the way it is. If you want ed to max out the abv rating on the yeast you would have needed to add honey and mango sooner and add yeast nutrient when you do it at a temp of about 75. Call it good you will be happy with what you have

Oh really i see, well what if i added more yeast or bought some more yeast nutrient? Would it go again and if not what should i add to perserve the wine??

How much brandy would i need to make 18..... or a lil more hehe >:)??

Adding brandy would be one way to ensure fermentation will not begin again.

MOST people on this board recommend adding sorbate to prevent renewed fermentation and sulfite to prevent infection.. However, the sulfite will also help prevent fermentation.

If you are indeed at 16% take a look at the bottom part of my post on sugar additions and the such.

http://www.winemakingtalk.com/forum/f6/seths-correction-equation-32839/

Also, when you are at .992 It can be pretty difficult to restart fermentation. It does happen, but its really hit and miss.

Its 75 to 77 degrees constant i had it last at . 993 and added more honey with some mango from my juice and it came back up to 1.013, i started with 1.103 its papaya mango and banana
OK that's good. But what is the sg NOW? IE 48 hours or more after you added the extra sugars. I suspect if has gone down from 1.013.

Steve

well just fortify it

X = V(C-A) / B-C

X = GAL BRANDY NEEDED
V = GALLONS OF WINE
C = FINAL ALCOHOL % WANTED
B = ALCOHOL % OF BRANDY
A = ALCOHOL % OF WINE

ok so i just took a gravity reading and it went down to 1.007 so im just worrying myself..... i guess its just moving at such a slow pace to where the airlock isnt bubbling and i took a taste of it and it tastes pretty good :) :) almost to where i need it wooohoooo!!! Im sure the Mrs. will like hehehehe

Latest posts

Back