My Experiment

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dennis_S

Reaction score
Well, a month ago I took a gallon jug and put in 2 lbs of sugar. Filled the jug with hot water and stirred until all the sugar was disolved. The next morning I pitched in a pack of Fleischmann's ActiveDry Yeast. There's about a 1/4" of lees on the bottom right now. I'm getting a bubble about ever 20 seconds in the fermentation lock. It even seems to be clearing up. I think I'm gonna rack saturday and top it up. My original thought was to make a alcoholic beverage as cheaply as possible. I figuered for the flavor I'd use them flavor additives that the put in water. The cost right now is $1.88 per gallon. So, there's not going to be a big money loss if this don't work. Has anyone ever tried this? What's you thought's?

Well, a month ago I took a gallon jug and put in 2 lbs of sugar. Filled the jug with hot water and stirred until all the sugar was disolved. The next morning I pitched in a pack of Fleischmann's ActiveDry Yeast. There's about a 1/4" of lees on the bottom right now. I'm getting a bubble about ever 20 seconds in the fermentation lock. It even seems to be clearing up. I think I'm gonna rack saturday and top it up. My original thought was to make a alcoholic beverage as cheaply as possible. I figuered for the flavor I'd use them flavor additives that the put in water. The cost right now is $1.88 per gallon. So, there's not going to be a big money loss if this don't work. Has anyone ever tried this? What's you thought's?

I used to do this exact same thing about 15 years ago in 2 liter pop bottles. I would attach an airline to the bottle cap and run the other end into my aquarium to feed the plants C02 as the sugar was fermenting.

I think a lot of us have tried something similar, but I know nobody that made a second batch................. It just is not good. Use a few cans of juice and then it will at least have some flavor to it.

I'm sure Troy can enlighten us on this subject. Not saying he does it but in the villages in Alaska where no alcohol is allowed they do all kinds of crazy things.

Suggest you add a small amount of tomato paste to give the yeast some nutrients.

Thanks for the replys so far. So Kev, are u saying I should add some tomato paste now or when I first started it? And what would you consider a small amount for a gallon batch? Thanks....

A pack of kool aid would be a cheap additive that may add a little flavor.

Hey Charlietuna, Thought about that also. Was thinking like 2 packs per gallon. It's just an experiment. I mean like, how does Boones farm make wine so cheap. And I know some people that like to drink that. I do think Kev was right though. I should have added some super nutrient. It wouldn't have added to much to the cost.

There are things you can do to make "hooch". But for a few bucks more , u can make something a little more drinkable. I just heard about a guy that would buy all the fruit that Kroger was going to throw out due to age. Maybe contact the produce manager at your local grocery. ?? I'm just thinking out loud

I did try adding lemonade koolaid to skeeter pee & it was ok, but most people liked it without. I've never tried it in the primary. Some have used skittles. I'm sure after Halloween they could be picked up reasonable.

If ur looking reasonably priced, check out the kits that amazon sells. I think for under 40 you can have a vino kit delivered to your door.

Just my two (after 12:00 & a few glasses) cents.

Brian

Thanks for the replys so far. So Kev, are u saying I should add some tomato paste now or when I first started it? And what would you consider a small amount for a gallon batch? Thanks....

You add it when you start. About a tablespoon per gallon.

This is apparently what people do when they make a wash to get alcohol for *******ing. I know that is not what you are doing, but the principal is the same.

I suppose you could also just add yeast nutrients, but that defeats the purpose of an inexpensive fermented beverage.

It will likely not improve the flavor any. You are still better off with grapes or another type of fruit.

"two buck chuck" is only 12 cents more and will end up tasting better.

Sounds like the water wine I made up in the event I needed to dilute the Muscadine last fall. Still have 2 1/2 gallons of it. I went about it just like making wine. 1118 yeast, sugar, nutrient, and adjusted acid to .70%. It's actually not to bad fermented dry. I tasted it, a friend of mine drank a 1/2 gallon of it while mixing with everything imaginable. I stabilized it so that it can be back sweetened if need be in the future.

ckassotis said:
Two buck chuck was actually $2.99 the last time I saw it!

Yep...I paid 2.99 last time I bought it but that for one 750 ml bottle. Don't know if Fleishmans yeast can tolerate higher alcohol like the wine yeasts but I have seen a similar product sold in an envelope that describes what the orig poster described. Forgot the name but could produce something like 18 percent alcohol and then add flavors like creme de menth...etc.

Yep...I paid 2.99 last time I bought it but that for one 750 ml bottle. Don't know if Fleishmans yeast can tolerate higher alcohol like the wine yeasts but I have seen a similar product sold in an envelope that describes what the orig poster described. Forgot the name but could produce something like 18 percent alcohol and then add flavors like creme de menth...etc.

it's called turbo yeast....you use about 18 pounds of sugar and 6 gallons of water....makes closer to about 20% alcohol base....then you filter it with a wine filter, but then it benefits from being filtered through a carbon snake filter a few times as well to refine it a bit more....makes like a homemade vodka base that, as was stated before, you can add extracts to flavor, and or things to make your own cordials....

Well I wanted to give an update. I added a pack of crystal light raspberry ice and a pack of wild strawberry to the gallon. Done this with 2 batches so far and everyone that has taste it thought it was great. I have 1 more gallon that's ready but I keep telling everyone it's not ready cause it would be gone in a day or so. It taste better served with ice. Almost like drinking a fruit punch. Time to make a few more batches.

LOL, well you could use it to top off with if you dont have anything else when you are racking. Mite dilute your fruit flavors a bit, but won't dilute the alcohol that way. Arne.

Arne, I'm not kidding. This stuff taste great. It's probably 12%. We had a party a few nights ago. A friend of my daughter came over, I ask her to try it. She said she really didn't like wine to much but she gave it a try. I couldn't get her to stop drinking it once she started. 4 or 5 glasses later she was feeling no pain. She came over the next day and wanted to know if the other gallon was ready. I've made many a batches of wine. Got 3 1/2 gallon of blackberry next to me right now. Just drank a 5 gallon batch of grape a few months ago along with a 5 gal batch of plum. Have 30+ pounds of grapes in the freezer waiting to be made. But, I've never had a batch like these. People just drinking away and wanting another glass. She wanted me to make a 5 gallon batch. The 3rd batch I made 2/7/12. It's clear right now. Has about 1/4" of pure white lees. But as soon as I rack it, they want to drink it. This is exactly what I was looking for. Today is 6 weeks. I think I'll rack it and add the (2) packs. I'll take a picture for you.

Back