Hi ! Its me Terrie

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

terrie morris

Junior
Reaction score
Hi, I have a very small question I hope I'm in the right spot. Any who I made some home made wine from juice , I put the juice in my half gallon jug 2 qts put honey 1/2 cup and a cup of sugar put a pkg of wine yeast but it may have been to old so I put reg yeast in it more sugar . It's in my closet. It has a thing in the rubber cork to let the bad stuff out . It only bubbled for only 3 days ? Is that long enough ? Should I just leave it alone now and let it do its thing ? I wanted it to go til thanks giving its been 2 weeks now. Thanks ! I hope someone can help I don't want to poison anyone.

Welcome to WMT.

One of the first things you need for this hobby is a hydrometer, a device for measuring the density of your must. With it you can add the correct amount of sugar that will make a palatable wine. Too much or too little sugar will make weird tasting wines. If I had to guess I’d say you added a boatload of sugars.

The fact that you had bubbling is a good sign, so do nothing for now. In a week or so, siphon off the clear wine into a sanitized container, add 1/4 tsp of potassium metabisulfite per 5g of wine (aka Kmeta) and wait another 3 months. Taste the clear wine at this stage and record your thoughts. It’s likely to be tart due to CO2 given off by the fermentation. No worries, it’s normal.

Welcome to WMT!

I agree that you should get a hydrometer (they are cheap!). In the meantime, you could taste your wine to see how sweet (or not) it is. If your fermentation is finished, it will not be at all sweet.

Welcome. Start reading on the beginners winemaking forum.
It sounds like you may have actually had a sucessful ferment. Whether it will taste good is hard to say

it seems like it should be that easy but…..

Welcome to WMT.

Read up on the basics, practice good sanitation, and you can make drinkable wine. As you get more comfortable with the process you can start making changes and make really good wine.

Welcome to WMT

Making wine is cooking. Does the wine taste sweet
? yes ~ then there is a lot of sugar and something will grow to eat the sugar, ,,, this is risky; no ~ then you have done a traditional wine. Your system has a lot of sugar. At high sugar most yeast will peter out and stop. We judge how well the yeast will work with a gravity reading.

It is easier to give guidance over the web with hydrometer readings. If you make more wine you need one.

Latest posts

Back