Mosti Mondiale MM Pinot Noir - Newbie ?'s :)

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ahhh, the OLE volcano, been there just not at that stage. This is what used to happen to me during the degassing stage.

Wanna laugh? In the past 36 hours, I completed my first degassing, and as happy as I am that everything went okay because I was careful, I was a little disappointed there was no volcano
smiley36.gif
. I know for you guys that have been at this for a while, you probably think I'm nuts, but for the first time why not experience everything, right? But I got through it with no mess,a lot of foam, but I kept it under control.

myway22 said:
Wanna laugh? In the past 36 hours, I completed my first degassing, and as happy as I am that everything went okay because I was careful, I was a little disappointed there was no volcano
smiley36.gif
. I know for you guys that have been at this for a while, you probably think I'm nuts, but for the first time why not experience everything, right? But I got through it with no mess,a lot of foam, but I kept it under control.

myway22 you should come over to my house and I'll help you out with the volcano!
smiley2.gif

So I've got my pinot into the seconary carboy for finishing up fermentation. The instructions say to monitor SG reading to .995 (which should be on day 12 - 20) Georges instuctions are saying day 12. So I'll keep a close eye on it.

My question is the .995 SG reading,if I rack and add the Metabisulfite & Potassium Sorbate at .995 SG reading would that be a sweeter wine than if I rack at .994?

thanks again!
brian

As far as being sweeter, at that point it is very dry. Just make sure it is stable before adding the sulfite & sorbate by checking that it is the same 3 days in a row.

wade said:
As far as being sweeter, at that point it is very dry. Just make sure it is stable before adding the sulfite & sorbate by checking that it is the same 3 days in a row.

So I don't want to add the sulfite & sorbate untill it is stable. The SG reading needs to be the same 3 days in a row? At this point of the wine making processcan I make it sweeter by stopping fermentation early, say at .998, even if it has only been at that for1 day?

Sorry if this makes no sense I'm just tring to figure out what the .995 reading is actually telling me. Is that a point at where the yeast has turned all the sugar into alcohol, being a dry wine with no residual sugar? If the reading falls down to .990 would that create a undisirable taste?

If i wanted to make it a sweeter wine, just not so dry, would I stop the fermentation early by adding the sulfite & sorbate? Or just add some Wine Conditioner later in the process?

Man I'm just getting into the science of this way to much. It's starting to scare me....
smiley3.gif
.... But I am very interested in all of this!

The wine is not totally dry until it stops fermenting(the reading dropping no more). As long as the SG drops it means there was still sugar in there to ferment. It is hard to predict if you can stop fermentation or not, so it is unreliable. One way you have a good chance of doing it is to drop the temp down to about 50 degrees for a few hours. At that point you could add the k-meta and sorbate to stabilize. You wouldn't have much retained sugar though if you are already down to .995. Just let it finish up and either add the k-meta and sorbate and then sweeten to desired amount with conditioner or sugar water.

I definitely would not try stopping a fermentation in progress, especially at this point since you are basically already dry. It may drop a little more or this might be your final gravity. Basically, anything under 1.000 is considered dry and what sugar is left is very minuscule. If you want to sweeten it back you should (like appleman says) stabilize with the sulfite and sorbate and add conditioner or a sugar syrup consisting of 2 cups of sugar with 1 cup boiling water and slowly add it to a smaller amount of wine like 1 gallon worth. Once you find the point at where you want it multiply that amount by what you have left of the rest of the batch.

Brian,
Jumping in here kind of late,,,,,,,,,wishing you well in your winemaking and welcoming you to a great forum!!!

Ramona

I'm late too, Brian.
Welcome!

I've already learned things from your postand you just got started!

Here's another update and some questions.

I'm on Day 11 of this MM Pinot Nior and just took an SG reading. The temp is 70F SG of .993. It's smellin like wine now
smiley1.gif
I wanna taste...

In the instructions they say on Day 12 to take SG to see that fermentation is progressing well. Then on day 20 make sure fermentation is complete. Noting that SG of .995 or less notes that fermentation is complete.

So at .993... which I currently at...my fermentation is complete should I leave the wine in this secondary fermentation for a few more days since I'm on day 11, when there saying done on day 20?

Or should I rack to another carboy and degas now along with adding my Metabisulfite, Potassium Sorbate and a full 24 hour degas? Then add the clarifiers?

Would it hurt to leave it in this secondary carboy until the weekend? Then degas and add additives?

Thanks again all!
Brian

Brian,

I'm no expert, but I would wait until day 20. I don't think it will affect the wine at all to leave it alone until then, even if fermentation is complete. As a side note, I had the same experience recently with a MM Alljuice Sangiovese. Fermentation was complete (SG .992) around day7, and Iracked and degassed on day 11. Afterwards, I added the K-meta, sorbate, and then clarifiers (liquigel/siligel). That was on 12/21 and this wine still hasn't cleared. Unfortunately, I moved it out into the cold after degassing, so I can't say that early racking was the cause. It was more likely the cold inhibiting the function of the clarifiers.

Can't wait to hear how it turns out. Good luck.

KenEdited by: K&GB

I would leave it there until day 20 like the directions say. Once it has been moved to secondary, I find it better to wait more rather than less between stages. It does seem to clear better when you don't rush it. It's only a week or so. What's a few days to ensure you get the best wine you can.
smiley4.gif

Thanks K&GB & Appleman

I wasn't sure if the SG reading was more inportant than just time.

Well so far this is a pretty fun experience I can't wait to taste my wine
smiley17.gif

When I degas, in a few days,I'll try to get another good volcano photo for you all.... Edited by: donking2010

Even though the SG is in range and says done, always wait to see if you have a few consecutive SG readings over 3 days as some will ferment down to .990. Do the instructions say to rack off the lees with this kit to add fining agents. Some of these fining agents require all the lees to be stirred up for them to work properly.

Yes Wade the instructions do say to rack off the lees then add fining agents. I will check the SG over the next 3 days to see what it's doing.

I have been using a brew belt to keep the temp at about 73 where the temp falls do 69ish if I don't. Should i still be using it to keep the temp up or do you guys thinkitsfine to take the belt off?

Also,
When the time comes to bulk age the Pinot. The instructions are recommending 6-8 weeks. I was thinking of letting it go for 3-4 months. Do you think this is a good idea or should I stick with instructions on this also?

Thanks
smiley17.gif

Keep going with the brew belt until you get the same SG reading three days in a row. You can then take it off until you are ready to degas. Degassing works best if the temp it >70F.

I've been bulk aging my MM AllJuice Pinot Noir since last April when the kit was finished. Time will help develop flavors and bring out more character in the wine, so further aging time should be no problem at all.

- Jim

JimCook said:
I've been bulk aging my MM AllJuice Pinot Noir since last April when the kit was finished. Time will help develop flavors and bring out more character in the wine, so further aging time should be no problem at all.

- Jim

Now that's some dedication!

Did you add K-Meta before bulk aging? And Are you putting more in every month... couple months..?

I'm pretty sure the instructions and/or general consensus noted to add an extra 1/4 tsp of K-meta before the bulk aging and then possibly again before bottling, since I'll likely age some of the bottles to1-2 years after bottling. The taste has been developing nicely and I have done this with two other WE kits as well. I don't have a problem with letting the wine sit there, as I purchase a large variety of commercial wine as well, which can help curb those temptations to dip into the home production. In addition, I find that bulk aging is a good exercise in patience. :)

I will say that on the subject of aging and with the limited sample base that I'm working with, I have been quite pleased how my Australian Chard and Argentine Malbec have progressed, in addition to the MM Pinot Noir. The wine has developed a more respectable character, in my opinion.

Iknow there are individuals on this forum that have aged much longer than me - they would be the best resource for K-meta usage for bulk and bottle aging.

- Jim

Back