Mosti Mondiale MM Pinot Noir - Newbie ?'s :)

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Tomorrow is the big day to rack over to a different carboy without sediment and start clarifing it and stabilze. Here's some pictures of what the pinot is looking like now.
We haven't degassed it and took a taste its pretty nasty at the moment really gassy, of coarse. My wife and I can't really taste any distinct flavor at the moment. Except for some alcohol. I'm excited to see how it progresses with aging but first off I've got to finish the wine-making process.

There seems to be allot of sediment at the bottom I'm a little conserned on how it will be to not sifen the sediment up in my transfer tomorrow. I will find out how that is. I'm going to really do a number on it for degassing to try to make a really good wine for ourselves. I've got a drill mounted stirrer and I think I'll try that orange contraption with a wine vac. Well heres the pics thanks for everyones help up to now.

20080118_122852_sediment_before.JPG

20080118_123129_before_racking.JPG

Youll do fine, just remember to do a good job degassing as this is what makes a wine clear nice and taste good.

I read this the day before I added oak toa Chianti,and was vary careful .The next day I pushed the oak down in the wine with w/spoon .Thechipswere staying at the top of the carboy so i gave it a small swirl/stir.VOLCANO
smiley18.gif
Same picture but i didn't even try the air lock.

Today has been the day of degas!

Not too much bubbles coming up. I've been drilling the snott out of it. But my drill is going south on me.Time to have the batteries checked out. So hopefully its getting degassed good enough. I'll have to do the bottle check. Put some in a bottle and shake it up to see if theres any fiz.

I think I'm not getting much bubble action do to the volcano at my last racking. At least I hope that's why. Will give it a taste tomorrow and keep stirrin it up. Maybe a run to home depot will solve my drill problem.

Until next time.

A good investment is a vacuum pump for degassing such as a brake bleeder vacuum from harbor freight
smiley32.gif

I just transfered for bulk aging now. I had a swig of it and it is definately improving. But I still taste a little gas in it. Is this normal? Will it go away during my bulk aging (planning on 6 months)?

I'm thinking of using my orange cap with mini pump to degas twice this month then maybe another time next month. Do you think this would be a good idea?

Any ideas would be great thanks again to all for all the great help!
brian

That would be fine just remember that cooler temps will make the wine hold gas more. Its best to degas at 72*.

Six months of aging will certainly help kill off the co2 in there. Are you planning on racking it at all during the bulk aging time? You may find quite a bit of sediment in there after about 2 months of sitting.

I wasn't sure if I should rack it but it sounds like I will now. Thanks for the bit of knowledge
smiley20.gif

Do you think degassing a few more times will be a good thing?
I have allready clarified it with the agents, does that poss any problems?

thanks

Not at all and if youve fined it already that means that you must have already done a decent job of degassing but a little more wont hurt. I would proably just degas it once more righ before bottling. Great job.

By the way the clarity of the wine is beatiful. It is a brillant ruby color. Looks great and tastes like it'll get there too, in some time!

Edited by: donking2010

Well its been a while since i updated this. The pinot is coming along. It's been bulk aging for 2 months now. The taste is definately improving. Getting hints of a commercial Pinot Nior now. But there is still a slight gassy taste to it. Does this go away completely? I sure hope
smiley1.gif

About how long will it take for the wine to be very drinkable? I'm going to bulk age for 6 months will that be long enough?

Thanks again for all the help with this. I've also have a Winexpert Selection original Gewürztraminer bulk aging and its got alot of gas taste to it. It's been bulk aging for 1 month now. I wiped it quite a bit and also used the Winovac (? spelling) on it. I hope the Gewutz smooths out also.

Thanks
Brian

Remember that once you bottle it, it will need a month to get rid of bottle shock also. Does it have a slight fizzy feeling on your tongue as if it still has gas in it? If so degas again right before bottling, I do it anyway just to be sure.

wade said:
Remember that once you bottle it, it will need a month to get rid of bottle shock also. Does it have a slight fizzy feeling on your tongue as if it still has gas in it? If so degas again right before bottling, I do it anyway just to be sure.

I wouldn't say it was slightly fizzy just has a different taste to it. I'd call it gassy or CO2 like. Is that just the taste of a "young wine"?

I will remember about the month of bottle shock. Thanks for the reminder. And I will degas right before bottling also. Thanks

smiley4.gif
Donking, I would recommend getting what your pocketbook can afford now. The Basic Kit gives you everything you need to start. Then get the extra "toys" as you want or need them.
smiley4.gif

You will eventually want or need extra carboys.

Let us know how your are doing with the first kit.
smiley36.gif

wade said:
Sounds more like you still have gas in there to me.

Thanks wade. I've got a Harbor Frieght where I live (Medford Oregon).

I'm going there this week to pick up the brake bleeder to do a little Mityvac action!

I do have some questions about the technique though.

What is the technique: sorry i don't have the time to be looking for the info i had about 15 minutes before the wife and my 3 year old said. "please come play with us..." So i'm going to play with my baby.

Thanks for all the help this site is a wine saver.

Brian

donking2010,
So, it is a year later. What is your verdict on this wine? I am getting ready to start my first ever kit, the AllJuice Pinot Noir and I am interested to hear about your results.

Thanks

Brian, I think everyone in here gets excited when they have a wine kit on the way!!
I have one on the way and can't wait to start the Barolo that George is sending me!!
smiley36.gif

Latest posts

Back