Mosti Mondiale MM Pinot Noir AllJuice Kit

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sorry Wade, Can't say the exact holding capacity of the smallest one, not that much, but enough to make a kit seem more compfortable. I only use the 6 gallon carboys for secondaty fermentation, unless I'm doing an Island mist kit, then I'll stay with the 6 gallon right till bottling due to te addition of the F pack, which generally takes me over the 6+ gallon size. I got 32 bottles from my last greenapple reisling, using 2 of my 375ML bottles of reisling to top up with after rackings. We'll see how it works with these 2 I have going now.

Flaco said:
Jim, looks good!!! I see you are from LITH, I am right next door to you in Huntley. Cheers neighbor!!!

That's messed up - I graduated from Huntley high school. How long have you been in Huntley and how long have you been making wine?

- Jim

Jim, I have lived in Huntley since '94. I grew up in Hanover Park and graduated fron James B. Conant H.S. in '83 (Hoffman Estates). I am new to the wine making thing, just started in Februaury.

Okay - here's something interesting to note especially in lieu of Joseph's article in the May newsletter. I had the pinot degassed using the vacuum method to the point where only larger bubbles came up especially in the middle of the liquid as opposed to the edges. I added the clarifying agents and stirred as per the instructions and then I topped off with a commercial pinot. The interesting thing is this - I noticed a bit of foaming after I had added the top-off pinot, so I hit it again with the Vacuvin and lo and behold, there is more carbon dioxide coming up the sides of the container.

My quick hypothesis on it - the commercial wine contained some CO2 and by adding it to the 75 degree mix that I had going along with some persuasion from my Vacuvin, it helped it come out of solution. Interesting nonetheless - I'll likely check it again over the next couple of days as it clarifies.

* 3 hours later, I checked the gas levels and it was once again gone - left with the larger bubbles when vacuum was applied. So - all seems fine for clarification.

- JimEdited by: JimCook

After 8 days and per the Mosti instructions, I was ordered to taste the wine and check it in a glass for clarity. Just as George had said, the wine is amazingly clear and looks wonderful. While the instructions say to filter it, I see no reason to do so. The color of the wine was a brilliant medium-depth red. I tasted it and it had the taste of a newly fermented wine - tight and young, and without a lot of pronounced berry flavors. However, the mouthfeel was good and the light caramel flavor from the oak was peeking through a bit. I am pleased and look forward to how this wine will progress.
- Jim

I believe filtering would probably be needed for the people who go by the instructions and bottle on date!

On 5/31/07, I added 3 ounces of French House Toast oak cubes. After letting the wine sit in a carboy with the oak cubes for the minimum contact time of 8 weeks, I tasted the results. At this point, the pinot has more oak/caramel on the nose than fruit, although the cherry was relatively light, so it's not hard to cover up. The taste has a mild earthiness to it (mild forest floor) with a mix of caramel and oak/toast. I need to watch this one as it seems like it won't need much more time on the oak. The mouthfeel is very nice and seems improved over the previous tasting.

- Jim

On 8/6/07, at 8 weeks on the oak, the pinot had developed earthy notes (light forest floor, perhaps a little mushroom) as the wine developed and the oak was integrating. The mouthfeel is still very nice - the oak was coming out rather pronounced in the nose, so I racked it off the oak and will let it sit in a carboy bulk aging for a bit to see how it develops.

- Jim

Sounds like it is progressin well Jim. I like your descriptions of the kits and following the progress. I have the same kit going now as well as the IM Blueberry Pinot Noir and Orchard Breezin' Cherry Pinot Noir and I must say the MM kit is by far the richest and most complex, although the others have their merits also.

Appleman,

Have you made/tried any other Pinot kits besides the ones that you currently have going? Also - did you use any oak beans or other after oaking method on yours?

- Jim

No Jim, these are the first one I have made, although I did have some of my sister's WE Pinot they had made. I believe it was the WE Selection kit. Very nice. I'm not sure if it had oak either.

Jim,

Do you have any more updates on the progress of your MM Alljuice Pinot Noir?How close does it come to tasting like a true commerical Pinot Noir? Are you able to notice the varietal character?

Dffwino,

*sighs* I guess I'll have to take one for the team and go taste the wine again. :p Allow me to do that today around my appointments and I'll let you know how it's progressing. At this point, it's just been bulk aging after the oaking. I'll provide a full report for you later today.

- Jim

We appreciate all the research you are willing to do for us. Be sure to publish your results.

Tasting Date: 10/17/07
Age since start of fermentation: 6 months
Oaking: 3 oz. French House Toast for 8 weeks

Notes: This incredibly clear pinot noir shows a color of brilliant red. With a nose of distinct cherry along with a toasty caramel, it seems to resemble the more fruity varietal characteristics. The mouthfeel issmooth and the taste has a hint of earthiness to it, although this may be brought on from the oak flavors. The length is moderate with a lingering and pleasant finish.

- Jim

Latest posts

Back