Mosti Mondiale MM Pinot Noir AllJuice Kit

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JimCook

Reaction score
Mosti Mondiale AllJuice Pinot Noir kit started on 4/12/07. I don't the same number of detailed step-by-step photos for this kit as I was getting used to the difference in instructions and trying to get the items I needed. Since my first two kits have been WineExpert kits, this Mosti kit had a couple of major differences to start.

1) It's not all that easy to pour out the juice from the bag (in the bucket) to get it into the primary fermenting bucket. Thanks to Peter in a past post who mentioned siphoning the juice out. I did this, but found that the siphon was sucking to what I thought was the side of the bag. Later investigation noted that there was a third layer of plastic inside the back (do not know why) and no matter how hard I tried, a decent amount of juice was stuck inside the bag. However, a sanitized pair of scissors served to liberate said juice from its confines.

2) The bentonite comes in mini-macaroni chunks as opposed to the mini clay dots in the WineExpert kits. I didn't seem to be able to get it all broken up in the bowl I was using to mix it, however, the Fizz-X did the trick in the primary after I added the bentonite.

3) The yeast needed to be activated. I used a microwave to heat the 1 cup of water necessary and fiddled with it for a bit to find a temp where it was between the 104-109 degree range I needed. I used a household thermometer for this, and while it topped at 106, I looked for a 104-105 start point. Once the yeast was added it started to swell up. After the required 15 minutes, it was added to the must and another round of Fizz-X stirring commenced. (I will get detailed pictures of what these stepslook like when I do my next kit - the MM Cab Franc.)

The yeast (this one used a Lavlin yeast) foamed as fermentation started over the next two days. This picture is from the36 hour point.

20070418_171644_1C_Foamy_Fermen.jpg

Then, as if by magic, the wine went from foam to no foam and fast, fizzy, full-throttle fermentation, as evidenced in the next picture taken at the 48 hour mark (foam was still there at 44 hours).

20070418_171901_2_Fermentation_.jpg

The kit smells very nice - will post more as it progresses.

- Jim

Thanks for the pictures. I can almost smell the fermentation from here.

While most commercial pinots tend to be somewhat lighter, I have to agree with appleman on this one - the color is quite dark - it looks great.
I'm on my third kit started now - in a year, I'll be reaping the (fermented) fruits of my labor. Thanks for the support and supplies.

- Jim

Great pictures Jim and have a question on the MM bentonite: Did you allow it to sit for 30 minutes in cold water before stirring? I have only made two Mosti kits but found it went into solution quite easily for me after the 30 min soaking.

I have 5 or 6 different sized Pyrex measuring cups ranging from 2 cups to 6 cups and these work great for bentonite mixing with a s/s wire whisk and yeast re hydrating.

I did let it sit for 30 minutes, and it did swell up like noodles as George had mentioned in a previous post about Mosti kits. Next time, a whisk will be the tool to use, as I was trying to mix it with a smaller spoon and it just wasn't breaking up like I would have liked. I compensated for this with some extra quality time with the Fizz-X and that seemed to the trick as it broke up rather quickly in the must. My measuring bowl was a bit large, and that contributed to my inability to break up the bentonite as efficiently, soa Pyrex cup goes onto my list of wine making tools (along with a long-stem funnel, etc.).

Thanks for the tips about the tools - my wine bench is expanding nicely. :)

I'm also working on getting rheostat switches hooked up (dimmer switched outlets) so I can better work my Brew Belt and other heating elements. Keeping things up to temperature has been a finesse job lately, but that should help even things out.

- Jim

Having the right tools is important in all jobs. I found that the 1 cup measuring cup I used for the bentonite on the first batch was too small, so I used a 2 cup on the next batch and it worked much better. Just more room to stir vigorously without making a mess.

As an aside, these All Juice kits clear very nicely even without the clarifiers at the end, so I would not worry about the bentonite. I think you will be surprised at the clariy.

I've done a handful of MM kits and I find the 30 mins is right on the cusp of waiting. If it doesn't dissolve easily, I wait 5 more mins.

I also agree these are the best clearing kits.

On day 6, just as the instructions suggested, the specific gravity of the pinot noir dropped below the 1.020 mark (1.015 at 70 degrees in this case). The next step was a racking onto the provided oak which looked like mulch but smelled much better. Here is the finished product - fermentation of pinot noir a la oak.

20070420_183351_3_Secondary_Fer.jpg

- Jim

When ferm is done what are you going to do with head space rack down,
marbles, water or commercial, or do you have some leftovers put aside
from another kit to add.

Wade,

I have no idea - this is only kit #3/3, all of which are in carboys at this point. I have used commercial wines of very like kind and as close to the ABV as I can get to top off the Australian Chard and the Argentine Malbec. I was just going to look for a commercial wine tobring it up to the 2" mark. Any other suggestions?

- Jim

This weekend was the second racking of the pinot, now that fermentation is complete at a specific gravity of 0.991 at 72 degrees, leaving an ABV of about 12.7%.

I had called George regarding the autosiphon use as I was taking the 'leave the sediment' behind instruction literally and not taking anything that was getting a little mucky. When I asked George about it and said that my Malbec took just under 2 bottles to top off and I was fearing the amount that would be needed on this pinot, he said, "Darn it, Jim - I'm a wine store owner, not a bricklayer - don't be so conservative and just slam that autosiphon right down there in the corner." So, I did - and after tipping and getting everything it could get, this is what's left.

20070507_095509_4C_Sediment_Pic.jpg

The head space here matches the head space from the secondary fermentation pic, so it shouldn't take much to top off. However, George did note that it was odd that my 23L kit seems to be running at 21-22L, especially considering I didn't leave any juice behind (would be pretty obvious to leave a magnum behind in the bag). Along that subject - is the '23L' mark to the top of the carboy like a max-fill kind of thing or into the neck like the level we use when it's topped off?

20070507_095541_4E_After_Rackin.jpg

Just like with the Malbec, the Fizz-X is like a No-Fizz-X and the Vacuvin is the way to go for degassing and I will continue to use that for degassing and the Fizz-X for stirring, which it does a splendid job of.

After the degassing is completed today, it's time for clarification and topping off. The pinot does smell quite nice at this point, although allergies have contributed to my sniffer not running at 100%, so I can't specifically describe the smells I'm getting, other than a caramel (likely from the oak). More soon!

- Jim

That looks better to me. That should take no more that 2 bottles to top off.

Ive heard that people (on another forum
smiley3.gif
)
were measuring there carboys and that each one differed in size even
when measuring 2 from the same maker (Mexican made vs Italian) 1 of
these days Im gonna check this out and confirm it and if so utilize
these differences when racking starting with the biggest and working
down to reduce topping up.

Wade, you read correctly.... All my 6 gallon carboys are made in Mexico. Even amongst the 5 or 6 that I have, there is a slight difference in how much each will hold. I do know which is the smallest of all the 6's, but I haven't graduated them to know each one by size. The difference isn't that much between them all, but probably 375 ML between the smallest one and the biggest.

The biggest one that I have, holds just shy of 6.5 gallons, when I say just shy, I mean a few ounces shy. Some may want to correct me on this, please don't.... I have measured it out using a measuring cup....... Was bored that afternoon.......

Jim, I had my Merlot full to where you have the carboy handle, and I got 30-3/4 bottles out of it yesterday, although I did suck it dry with no little hat on the end of the racking cane.

It still seems rather odd that even with my initial racking of all the juice that I seem to be quite a bit off from 23L as the kit says. Perhaps I had the 'small bag.' Thanks for the measuring line, Peter - helps me know what to expect. I may do the water fill and mark the primary again to make sure I've got enough water in the WineExpert kits and to see if any future Mosti kits fall short in juice quantity as well (George noted that the kits that he's done he had to actually hold some juice back).
- Jim

Jim, looks good!!! I see you are from LITH, I am right next door to you in Huntley. Cheers neighbor!!!

Latest posts

Back