Mosti Mondiale MM Impressions Barolo

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Flem, Nothing was left to top off with. I had to add a little h20 to the straining bag to squeeze out enough to top off the 6 gal. carboy. I did a internet check last night & boy do we have good taste! Barolo's are EXPENSIVE. Can't spend $15++ on a wine to top off my carboys! May use a Cab. I've made. This Barolo is going to be right there with my 10 mo. old Amarone. Patience, Patience, Roy

These Renaissance kits are very good and now with the grape pack added makes them especially bold and fruity. The only drawback is the price. I have one Ren Barolo aging and it will be my last along with 3 - 6 gallon carboys of Meg Pinot Noir. I think I have a couple Meg Old Vine Zin aging too. I'll have to check. But these will be my last.

Agent007, can you clarify what you mean by "the only drawback is the price?" George, at the Winemakers Toy Store, has them on special and with the club discount they are about $113. For an 18 liter kit with that much fruit, I feel that is a very reasonable price.

You mention that you have several "Meg" (and I assume that you mean Meglioli) carboys bulk aging, which begs the question, "What is the drawback on the price? It it too low?" :)

Agent007, can you clarify what you mean by "the only drawback is the price?" George, at the Winemakers Toy Store, has them on special and with the club discount they are about $113. For an 18 liter kit with that much fruit, I feel that is a very reasonable price.

You mention that you have several "Meg" (and I assume that you mean Meglioli) carboys bulk aging, which begs the question, "What is the drawback on the price? It it too low?" :)

This is a discussion best left alone as I don't want to get into controversy over nonsense. Let me just say that I was buying these kits for a lot less than you can buy them for today (and I don't mean because of any manufacturer increase).

After buying and paying for them delivered what others are selling them for without delivery, I refuse to pay the high price at this point. At one point I was paying $99 plus shipping for AllJuice kits (and yes they were current and fresh kits). I was also paying $180 or so for MMM kits delivered. I see no reason to pay any retailer a higher price so they can unreasonably profit from me.

I was also buying them from another retailer but no one seems to be handling them anymore which also hurts buyers as there is no competition on these kits. High Gravity doesn't even handle them anymore. In fact, I don't think there are any major retailers selling these kits other than FVW. That's great for him but not for me.

Bottom-line: They're a fine product as there is nothing wrong with the quality but I refuse to pay the exorbitant price from their only retailer. For my money, Winexpert, Spagnols and Cellar Craft have more than enough to keep me busy.

Everyone has their own opion and I for sure agree with that. Just still not sure what you mean as the Impressions which is equivalent to say RJS Winery Series is competetively priced. Ive always used the RJS Winery Series myself and am very happy with them so Im not here to sell Mosti, just saying That with the same amount of juice and a bigger grape pack and some even come with raisin pack also a few dollars more is expected IMO.

Everyone has their own opion and I for sure agree with that. Just still not sure what you mean as the Impressions which is equivalent to say RJS Winery Series is competetively priced. Ive always used the RJS Winery Series myself and am very happy with them so Im not here to sell Mosti, just saying That with the same amount of juice and a bigger grape pack and some even come with raisin pack also a few dollars more is expected IMO.

I just bought 5 kits of Amarone Winery Series for $90 plus shipping on special. I can buy them all day long for $100. So where is that comparable to a Renaissance kit? Your'e talking $25 more per kit for something I don't think is equivalent. It may be equivalent in size but not the quality of the product IMHO of course. I think RJS Winery is a superior kit to renaissance. Heck, what about the AllJuice pails for the same money. You going to compare those ALLJuice to RJS Winery Series? Those AllJuice are equivalent to a glorified Vinifera kit. You can add a grape pack to them too; will that make them AllJuice Impressions? :)

And I was able to buy Renaissance kits for $90 each plus shipping. The grape pack isn't worth $35. Those grape pack should sell for like $12 or so as I was paying for them last year.

As an example, FVW is selling MMM Amarone with and without grape packs for a difference of $15. Yet when he sells the same grape pack with his Renaissance kit, he gouges us and charges $18 - why?

You see those grape packs were an afterthought but now they are linked up to the renaissance kits. You can add them to any kit. I added one to a Vinefera kit and it made a great Amarone. This Renaissance "Impressions" is nothing new. It's a Renaissance kit with a grape pack.

Oh I totally agree the All juice pails are in no matter of speaking even close to the Winery series or EP. As far as same size the EP is 2 liters bigger then the Impressions as far as juice goes. EP is 18 liters of juice while Impressions is 16. Some of these comapanies list it as 18 but that includes the juice which I freakin hate!!! Say what you mean and mean what you say IMO!!! False advertising there if you ask me. I dont think the all juice pails is a great product. $100 for a EP is a great price my friend. I can get them close to that locally from 1 place which is a very nice old lady but in doing so I have to special order it and she is very forgetful and even when she remmbers now she usually gets the wrong kit!! LOL, very nice lady and means good though. Im kind of an impulse buyer so lots of times I get it elsewhere fpor more but ohwell. I have patience on making wine but not buying it!!! ROFLMAO
As far as the grape packs goes on FVW goes please get your info straight! The packs that were being sold seperatly were Cellar Craft and nit MM and werent as big as the MM packs.

Oh I totally agree the All juice pails are in no matter of speaking even close to the Winery series or EP. As far as same size the EP is 2 liters bigger then the Impressions as far as juice goes. EP is 18 liters of juice while Impressions is 16. Some of these comapanies list it as 18 but that includes the juice which I freakin hate!!! Say what you mean and mean what you say IMO!!! False advertising there if you ask me. I dont think the all juice pails is a great product. $100 for a EP is a great price my friend. I can get them close to that locally from 1 place which is a very nice old lady but in doing so I have to special order it and she is very forgetful and even when she remmbers now she usually gets the wrong kit!! LOL, very nice lady and means good though. Im kind of an impulse buyer so lots of times I get it elsewhere fpor more but ohwell. I have patience on making wine but not buying it!!! ROFLMAO
As far as the grape packs goes on FVW goes please get your info straight! The packs that were being sold seperatly were Cellar Craft and nit MM and werent as big as the MM packs.

Where did Cellar Craft come from. I'm discussing the Mosti packs. And why FVW is selling a Mosti pack for $3 more in his Amarone kit than the same thing on the meglioli kits. Ah, who cares. Caveat Emptor.

And BTW.... I bought some Spagnols EP kits for $110 each; that's a deal.

OK, my fault there, misunderstanding! I habve never bought a Meglioli, does the grape pack ship separately in the Megs? If not you may be paying extra for the extra packaging as I know the Impressions grape pack is separate in its own box which would make it more expensive, if it ships separately then you got me on that 1! I have no problem admitting when Im wrong by the way.

OK, my fault there, misunderstanding! I habve never bought a Meglioli, does the grape pack ship separately in the Megs? If not you may be paying extra for the extra packaging as I know the Impressions grape pack is separate in its own box which would make it more expensive, if it ships separately then you got me on that 1! I have no problem admitting when Im wrong by the way.

The last time I purchased a Meglioli kit, yes it was separate. Those kits are heavy and I was paying something around $180 delivered including the additional grape pack. If you're going to pay extra for "packaging" it would be in the shipping and not in the initial pricing as FVW has it. The store I purchased my Mosti products from had the best prices unlike current retailers pricing. FVW may be a great place to buy but he's very high on his Mosti products plus he has no competition. Mosti lost all their retailers in the states. Even High Gravity doesn't carry Mosti products anymore.

Just racked and stabilized my MM Impressions, Barolo. It finished at .994. You wouldn't believe the sludge I had in the bottom of the carboy. I squeezed it through a paint strainer bag to get all the juice possible. However, I still came up a little short. Besides the obvious Barolo (very expensive), what wine would you suggest I top up with? Thanks!

Make a pilgrimage to Trader Joe's. I know they have a cheap ($16) Barolo. Don't know how good it is. They also have loads of $5-$8 bottles of Italian varietal blends. Look for one with Nebbiolo as they main varietal.

Just racked and stabilized my MM Impressions, Barolo. It finished at .994. You wouldn't believe the sludge I had in the bottom of the carboy. I squeezed it through a paint strainer bag to get all the juice possible. However, I still came up a little short. Besides the obvious Barolo (very expensive), what wine would you suggest I top up with? Thanks!

For reds, when you can't get the like wine, go with something close or a Merlot. A Merlot has a somewhat neutral taste profile and won't drastically affect the taste of the rest of the wine.

Put all the remaining sludge in a sealed glass or plastic container and let it set for a few days to 2 weeks. It will settle some and allow you to pull off a layer of clear wine, which you can use. You are always going to lose some wine, but this should cut your loses.

Thanks for the feedback, guys.
I would have put any remaining lees in a bottle but I, literally, had none. I poured all of it into a straining bag and squeezed the @#$% out of it.

We don't have a Trader Joes nearby but my son has one in Columbus (OH). I'll check the local wine store to find a Nebbiolo.

How much are you short? If its just 1 bottle just a use the closest thing you have.

Probably less than a bottle. How much short were you on your stabilizing rack?

I didnt have a problem with both the raisin and grape pack in the 7.9 but must say it was close.

Wade, I just put on my Barolo and Amarone in 7.9 liter fermenters with both raisins and grape skins. I have to say it is close as fuzz on a tick's ear (as Bob Prince used to say). If I get a strong fermentation, I could have a probem.

I didnt need topping up. Rocky, mine was very close also but it fermented nice and slow despite keeping the temp at 73*. I checked twice a day for the first 5 days in the morning and after work and everyday I was expecting a big mess but it never happened. Im happy to say I now have a 10 gallon fermenter so next time I wont have to be living on the edge!

I've never had a Barolo. Every time I look at them in the liquor store, I decide not to spend that much without having a recommendation I trust.

But anyway, I've found that I really only like the big chewy full-bodied wines with a filling mouthfeel. For kit wines, anyway. Does a Barolo fit that description?

On the other hand, I'm thinking if I have to cellar a Barolo kit for 10 years before it's palatable, it may not be the right wine for me to make.

Latest posts

Back