Mosti Mondiale MM AMarone

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fly*guy

Reaction score
Fermenting the MM Rennaisance Amarone. It's in the Primary but the instructions aren't clear to me.....

The directions (Originals), say to add the packet of Yeast Nutrient when the must is between 1.040 & 1.050 and move to 2ndary, but there is another set of directions, (an insert), that claims to move the wine to the 2ndary at a SG of 1.020 or less but says nothing about adding the Nutrient.
There are other things that have to happen with the wine as well but I'm clear on them.

What is the best way to proceed?
Does it matter much if I let the wine ferment to 1.020 and then add the nutrient and squish,(gently), the raisins?

anyone with amarone experience
smiley5.gif

The yeast nutrients are a relatively new addition to the kit. They just didn't reprint the whole thing. Follow the directions for the yeast nutrient. It is supposed to elimianate any possibility of off odors. I didn't find it necessary to squish the raisins. All the goodies in them ferment out quickly.

I wouldn't worry though, this is a great kit and makes a great wine. It won a gold for me this year in the WImemaker Magazine's contest. It was about the only gold for a Mosti kit this year if I recall correctly. I will let you know that I added two pounds of sugar to this kit to bring the alcohol level up a bit. I like a nice high octane full bodied Amarone, and apparently the judges did also!

This is my 1st Wine with Raisins and Oak, really trying to follow the "letter of the Law" so as not to make mistaskes and learn the newer stuff tjat I have not done to date.

Hi! I just started an all juice Amarone on Sunday night and it's still not bubbling at all. Added raisins after 24 hrs in primary, like directions said.
SG is higher than start - sugar from raisins. It's been 3 days in the primary! I got all wound up about this with I think a Zin I did, but after 3 days it had started fermenting......do I just need to chill?

Thx Jack

I have a MM All Juice Amarone going right now. If you follow the instructions to the letter and transfer to glass at 1.040 and add the yeast nutrient you will get a wine volcano. See my thread on "what were they thinking?"

I would leave in primary and add the nutrient at 1.040. Transfer to carboy when SG is ~ 1.010 and continue from there.

Ar you sure there is no fermentation going on? Look closely, listen closely. My MM Amarone was not a boiler fermentation wise. It was like a can of open Coke. Tiny fizzy bubbles.

Keep checking the SG as well as the temp. It should rise a few degrees from the start when in the middle of heavy fermentation and the SG should be dropping slowly.

jcasaccio said:
Hi!  I just started an all juice Amarone on Sunday night and it's still not bubbling at all.  Added raisins after 24 hrs in primary, like directions said.
SG is higher than start - sugar from raisins.   It's been 3 days in the primary!I got all wound up about this with I think a Zin I did, but after 3 days it had started fermenting......do I just need to chill?

Thx Jack

I am certain it's not fermenting. SG is higher than start, due to adding raisins after 24 hrs from pitching yeast.

How did you pitch the yeast? what is the temp of the must now? temp in the area that you have it sitting?

thanks, dennis

Yeast started in warm (105 degree ) water, sat for 15 min then added to 72 degree must. The process and numbers do check out....
Thanks

Do you have another packet of yeast to pitch? I would call the retailer you purchased it from (George I hope). I made this kit a couple of years ago and used a 10 gallon fermenter and it almost topped that (saved by about 2 inches).
VC

When you soaked (proofed) your yeast, was it foaming a little after 15 minutes? It should have hydrated, sunk below the surface, and foamed a little. If your water was too hot (above 105F) you may have killed it.
It's a good idea to keep some extra yeast on hand (in the frig) since it's so cheap.

Whatever the cause, you're going to need to re-innoculate a.s.a.p.

Fred

Just started to filter my MM Amarone tonight and could help but snatch a taste...WOW..... this is some of the best I've made so far flavor just goes on and on, wasn't sure what oaking does to the wine but I'm getting a good taste of it now, can't imagine what it may be like in a few years.
{bit exited, but I'm sure you can't tell}

Here's a question for you folks though....
Why does MM have you wait till you are about to bottle before inoculating with the K-sorbate?
Only wine I have made to date that doesn't add the K-sorbate with the K-meta.

Wow,

So that went from being dead in the water to best you've made.......?????????

They is a few blanks to fill in!

Nah, IB, mine was just fine, jcasaccio was havin trouble with there's. I thought the directions were a little skewed as well, didn't make sense and I did all that you guys wrote about.
Moving to the 2ndary when the SG is at 1.050 makes no sense, I've not been at this for very long but in my short time I have found that moving it under glass to early can be ..... shall we say, "explosive".
moving it and then adding the nutrient sounds like a real problem while the SG is that high.

Doh!

My bad. Glad its tasting good. I snagged my first taste of my MM All Juice Amarone yesterday and I agree its pretty good stuff even for only 4 week old wine!

Fly Guy
My Renascence Amarone is 2 years old and gets better every time! Outstanding value, outstanding wine! I managed to snag a Cellar Craft Amarone on sale and it has been bulk aging since February. I'll get a taste when I bottle it in maybe January and I only hope it is at least equal to this one.
VC

I have a MM caberlot that I just stabilized and am starting to clarify, but it doesn't taste has good to me as the Amarone!

Not that it tastes bad, just might be my pallet
smiley1.gif

Maybe I just need to do more sampling
smiley4.gif
smiley4.gif

I thought it was tough trying to leave my "able to drink immediate" kits along NOW WHAT WILL I DO!
Oh well guess I'll make some more.... what shall it be....

how bout some help?
MM Cabernet Sauvignon, Old Vine Merlot, OR WE Millenium Sparkling wine OR Cab Franc Ice wine??? x2 ( the new wine drinking feinds... I mean friends, like the real sweet stuff)

... I feel obligated to learn um better by bringin them around to some of the better wines out there, but it will take some time....
smiley4.gif
smiley4.gif
smiley4.gif

Well you can drink the Cab Franc Icewine early. Make a double batch, age half and enjoy the rest.
VC

Latest posts

Back