Mosti Mondiale MM Alluice Cabbernet sediment growth?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

seminarian

Reaction score
I just came from down stairs checking on my wines and noticed that the sediment of my MM alljuice cab had some kind of dark strands in it. Is this normal? Is my wine ruined? Is this jjust part of the lees? I had just finished stirring it so that the oak would be evenly distributed. This is my first batch of a kit wine. My other fruit wine looks okay. Is my wine okay? What is this? Is my wine ruined?

Doesnt sound like any problem Ive ever heard of. Can you post a pic?

Like Wade says a picture would help. Dark strands doesn't sound familiar. Was the oak cubes or chips. Chips often have longer strands- maybe that?

By the way- are you missing any cats?

it's kind of hard to take a picture because the wine is very dark and very little light. However I was using oak chips - could this be the problem?

We don't any animals.

Just kidding about the cat
smiley4.gif

How long are the strands?

It probably is oak splinters from the chips. They take one the wine color and can look strange when you don't expect them in there.

maybe 1 1/2 to an 2 inches long but I do remember that some of the oak chips were kind of long as well.

If the lees have not completely settled, perhaps they are just fissures in the lees bed that look dark because they are full of wine. If that is the case they will disappear as the lees settle over a few days.

Pictures would be helpful. Does the wine seem "oily"? If so you may have lactic acid bacterium in your wine.

Back