FastFerment Conical question

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shurt1073

Supporting Members
Supporting Member
Reaction score
A few months ago I purchased the conical and used a fruit wine in it at all stages of the kit including bottling. I have now started a Twisted Mist kit (Hurricane) wine cooler 7% ABV and today checked the SG. Its close to the ferment end, but I'll give it a few more days.

I noticed sediment CAKED on the sides of the conical because this kit is a whiter wine instead of the dark fruit kit like my last batch through the conical. I thought sediment was supposed to drop to the bottom ball making for a clearer ferment? It was shocking to see the sides with so much of what you would normally see at the bottom of standard or normal ferment bucket. Should I give it a stir to assist the sediment in dropping to the ball? Leave it alone, and when its finished fermenting rack it into glass to finish? Just leave it alone and complete the whole kit process in the conical? It is caked on sediment .... I did add 1 ½ cups of dilute sugar to insure 7%. Is this normal for the FastFerment?

EDIT: Not as bad as first thought it was. Easily shook off and settled to the bottom. No worries.

Attachments

• IMG_0536.jpeg
    IMG_0536.jpeg
    698.5 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
A few months ago I purchased the conical and used a fruit wine in it at all stages of the kit including bottling. I have now started a Twisted Mist kit (Hurricane) wine cooler 7% ABV and today checked the SG. Its close to the ferment end, but I'll give it a few more days.

I noticed sediment CAKED on the sides of the conical because this kit is a whiter wine instead of the dark fruit kit like my last batch through the conical. I thought sediment was supposed to drop to the bottom ball making for a clearer ferment? It was shocking to see the sides with so much of what you would normally see at the bottom of standard or normal ferment bucket. Should I give it a stir to assist the sediment in dropping to the ball? Leave it alone, and when its finished fermenting rack it into glass to finish? Just leave it alone and complete the whole kit process in the conical? It is caked on sediment .... I did add 1 ½ cups of dilute sugar to insure 7%. Is this normal for the FastFerment?
I have used the FastFerment system many times with success. I experienced what you describe a few times but it was only after using a fining agent. With the fining, the sediment falls out so fast, and clumps together, that it occasionally sticks to the sides. There is no harm to stir or swish (swish: you're basically picking up the whole unit and mixing it like you would a glass of water and creating a whirlpool within) and letting it fall out.

I really liked using the FF system but my volumes now are too large for feasibility.

Ok .. thanks for the advice. I have to admit it is not as bad as first thought. Apologies .... the inside tits, and thermometer were covered but it easily shook off and started falling to the bottom.

If I see sediment on the conical sides,, I will drum my fingers about the conical for a few days to help those bits slide down into the bulb.
Have stopped adding bentonite when using the conical fermenter.

Latest posts

Back