Wine sediments

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

silverbullet07

Reaction score
Several wineries and wines I purchase seem to always have sediment in bottom of bottle. I just came back from a local winery were I had a 16 year old Syrah that was quite nice however sediment all in the bottom of my glass. You would think after 16 years they could get it clearer.

We always talk about getting our wines clear and some filter their wines yet the larger vineyards seem to not worry so much. I know there is no problem with sediment but I just think it is funny that is one main part of winemaking is letting the wine clear.

Anyway just my thoughts. 😂

Nothing wrong or unexpected about sediment in an older wine, but it was a service faux pas to have it enter your glass. Older wines require special pouring technique. That’s where they could use some training I suppose.

Last edited:
I am using Super Kleer CK and with the prune wine it did nothing .
No sediment . Is it OK to drink such wine work Super Kleer present in it ?

Is it drinkable after that ?
Yes. Almost everything that goes into wine is safe to consume, although for things such as K-meta, the safe amounts are in PPM.

I suggest you add pectic enzyme, give it a good stir, and wait another month. That's the only thing I can think of where a 3 month old wine is not dropping sediment after adding K&C.

Back