Metalic aftertaste, inconsistent

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

M38A1

Supporting Members
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I make a lot of regular SkeeterPee and half the time I get a great end product and the other half I get a drinkable product but it comes with a metallic after-taste. That's the only way I can describe it. I'm not using metal other than cooking the sugar at the end to add to the carboy in a stainless pot and a rubber spatula.

I'm pretty consistent yet this past batch was 12 gallons gross in one primary fermenter. When fermentation was done and on first rack, those contents went to a 6 and a 5 gallon carboy. The 5 gallon carboy has metallic after taste and the 6 gallon does not.

I'm guessing here, that this has to do with precise measurements of K-Sorbate, and/or K-Meta? (ie: the 5 gallon got a bit more of one or the other than the 6 gallon???)

Any help would be appreciated, and is there any way to correct this issue?

Thx!

Just a quick question, do you take any medication? Blood pressure meds skew the acidity aftertaste.
I suspect the 5 gallon carboy is more acidic. It could be that when you racked you got more of the acid flavor of the Skeeter Pee in the 5 than the 6. I think flavor isn’t always consistent throughout a container. Which did you fill first? Did you top off either?

Just a quick question, do you take any medication? Blood pressure meds skew the acidity aftertaste.
I suspect the 5 gallon carboy is more acidic. It could be that when you racked you got more of the acid flavor of the Skeeter Pee in the 5 than the 6. I think flavor isn’t always consistent throughout a container. Which did you fill first? Did you top off either?

No meds.
I didn't think about the acid angle on this one and it's all bottled now. As for racking, I fermented in a 60l Speidel and let that rock&roll until .990. Then I siphoned it into the 6 and 5 and honestly, I don't recall which went first. I'm guessing the 6 since I generally want to get the majority out first. So if that's the case, then the acidity aspect would have been heavier, thus sinking in the Speidel and making that the 5gal content? The 6 was full to the top short of room for additives and sparkloid. The 5 did have some headspace of maybe 3/4 to 1 gallon. Now I wonder if that was part of the metallic taste.

I thought I read somewhere that the potassium content of the metabisulfite and/or sorbate was a metal of sorts. That's what got me thinking about imprecise measurements and I possibly had a bit more in the 5 vs the 6. Hmmmm....

Next batch I might try to be much more precise on measurement of liquid volume to have a precise measurement on additives.

If you were tasting one right after the other that might make a difference. I’ve had some wines with metallic taste to me. Other people might not detect the same taste. Also a little more sweetness might eliminate the metallic taste.

Back