mason jars

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Scott

Reaction score
Maybe a silly question but is there any reason why one can't use mason jars with the seals to bottle some?

Scott if you are talking about the newer jars with lids, you would need to heat the wine to get it to drw down the seal- never a great idea. If you were using one of the old style jars with a glass lid and seal, it woul probaly work for a limited while alright. I still would prefer wine bottles and corks.

Thanks Appleman

kinda what I was thinking but wanted to check

Do screw caps on wine bottles breath? Does bottled wine need to breath?

JC

Screw tops do not breath and a little breathing is good but to much is not a good thing and that is why temp changes are not good for wine storage as the bottles expanding and contracting is actually the wine breathing in air and extracting air which over time causes oxidation. A slight breathing is what makes wine age gracefully.

The most important reason why it wouldn't work too good would be head space surface oxidation. Notice that the wine bottle narrows up to the neck. There is very little surface space that will be exposed to any oxygen. When you cork the wine it pushes out the excess air and leaves very little to oxidize the wine. With the mason jar you will have the entire surface area of the jar meaning more oxygen in the jar and a much larger surface space to oxidize. It would take a heck of a lot more sulfite's in the wine to keep the oxidation levels down.

I always wondered about that.Does inserting the cork really displace and push the air out, or does it just compress and force that small amount of oxygen into the wine?Seems like corks expand enough even when just barely inserted to keep the air from getting out. Just curious...

It pushes a good bit out but not all of it. If you listen you will hear the little whoosh of air come from the bottle as the cork enters.

Ok next question, my wife actually came up with.

Can beer bottles be used if able tofind corks that fit? Then would have individual serve bottles.

My single serve is still the regular wine bottle
smiley30.gif

I would not try to cork a beer bottle, as I don't think there is enough glass in the neck. I do beer bottles and just use beer caps on them.

Thanks PeterZ

where do you get the bottle caps? I didn't see them with the corks and caps?

I use these caps from Crosby and Baker, I think George can get them for you,

<TABLE cellSpacing=4 cellPadding=4 width="100%">
<T>
<TR>
<TD>
<DIV =prodid>: Cat#6020A</TD></TR>
<TR>
<TD vAlign=center align=middle width="100%"> </TD></TR>
< = =text/>
<!--
validator3(the){
return (true);
}
EF(id) {
popupWin = .('emailfriend.php?id='+id,'email_friend','menubar=no, scrollbars=no, width=400, height=400, directories=no,location=no,resizable=yes,status=no,toolbar=no')
}
DS(id) {
popupWin = .('details.php?id='+id,'email_friend','menubar=no, scrollbars=yes, width=400, height=256, directories=no,location=no,resizable=yes,status=no,toolbar=no')
}
//-->

< name=t3 ="return validator3(this)" =cart.php method=post>
<TR>
<TD width="100%">
<DIV =prodname>Oxygen Absorbing Crown Caps, 1 Gross

<DIV =proddeion>Oxy-caps are specially treated to absorb oxygen when in contact with liquid. Silver, unprinted.
<DIV =prodprice>N/A</TD></TR></></T></TABLE>

Thanks Stinkie I did miss them, hot diggity dog I now get to empty some beer bottles
smiley20.gif

I have been going through the older posts about bottling, still learning I take it these caps are press on only?

You will need a capper to apply those caps also.
<table ="Catalog" id="products" align="center" border="1" bordercolor="#000000" cellpadding="2" cellspacing="0" width="100%"><t><tr><td ="table" align="default" width="2%"><div align="center">4016 </td>
<td width="5%"><div align="center">
%5Cimages%5C2786_sm.gif
</td>
<td width="20%">

Bottle Capper Caps soda and beer bottles Red Head
</td>
<td width="2%"><div align="right">$15.99</td></tr></t></table>

Be sure to use the crown cap bottles and not the twist top regular beer bottles. That means you will need to drink some of the better stuff for a while to get the right bottles- what a shame.

Scott, I am an instructor here in AZ and teach soldiers how to use and operate the camera on an unmanned aerial vehicle. Prior to that I was an instructor teaching soldiers how to fly an unmanned aerial vehicle.

Thanks alot for the info, that is a shame appleman, maybe be a sale on Corona. Since it's for my wife's single serve bottles she should only encourage it
smiley2.gif

Latest posts

Back