Malbec Juice

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EPaczkowski

Junior
Reaction score
I just talked to a guy at the locale wine supply store about the Malbec I just obtained. He said the last batch of fresh juice he put up he retained a gallon of the fresh juice and froze it. When he was ready to bottle the wine he unfroze the juice and used it to back sweeten the wine and it gave it a real flavor kick. I am thinking about trying it and am looking for any Pros or Cons.

I think that sounds interesting but I don't think I would use a gallon as you would be knocking down the ABV also. If you did an mlf I would be concerned about it refermenting also.

The acid level was 0.25 so I am not considering mlf. Also the juice came in a six gallon pale so I have an extra gallon of juice.

What about taking that gallon and making an f-pack out of it? Might not knock down the abv as much and you would get a better flavour.

Not a dumb question, thats why we're here. ABV = alcohol by volume or the % alcohol show on wine bottles.

Alcohol by volume (abbreviated as abv, ABV, or alc/vol) is a standard measure of how much alcohol (ethanol) is contained in an alcoholic beverage (expressed as a percentage of total volume).The ABV standard is used worldwide

I have 11 gals of malbec and if I add just enough to raise the SG to 1.000-1.005
I wouldn't think that the ABV would be affected much. The SG of my juice was 1.091

If you have that much then 1 gallon of juice would not affect the final outcome of the wine. It might slightly sweeten it and bring the flavour out. I did a batch of rose (23L) and had an extra gallon that partially fermented. When I mixed the 2 it sweetened it up to a slightly off-dry and gave it a nice flavour. I didn't measure the sg of the gallon before mixing, but if you add a gallon of unfermented juice it might have the same effect as you have double the volume of wine.

Malbec should be drunk DRY. If you add a f-pac/backsweeten then you are changing the wine profile.

Malbec is typically a medium to full-bodied red wine. Ripe fruit flavors of plums and blackberry give it a jammy characteristic. The tannins are typically a bit tight and the earthy, wood-like appeal makes for a fairly rustic, yet versatile

Malbec should be drunk DRY. If you add a f-pac/backsweeten then you are changing the wine profile.

Malbec is typically a medium to full-bodied red wine. Ripe fruit flavors of plums and blackberry give it a jammy characteristic. The tannins are typically a bit tight and the earthy, wood-like appeal makes for a fairly rustic, yet versatile

True, but not all of us like DRY wine. I have a bottle of Malbec on my cupboard right now and I do add a few drops of sweetener to it - to my taste. It does not change the profile of the wine too drastically, imo.

EP: you might want to experiment with a bottle of Malbec first...try it dry and then try it with a bit of sweetener. You might find you like it better dry, on the other hand you might like it better with that touch of sweetness.

Thanks I like the dry wines but I have some individuals that like it a little sweeter so I usually bottle a case for their taste. When I posted this I was mainly trying to find out if anyone else ever saved some of the original juice, froze it, then added it at the end. I may be sorry that I froze a gallon.

Thanks I like the dry wines but I have some individuals that like it a little sweeter so I usually bottle a case for their taste. When I posted this I was mainly trying to find out if anyone else ever saved some of the original juice, froze it, then added it at the end. I may be sorry that I froze a gallon.

Best to just make up some simple syrup then.

Latest posts

Back