Life Update

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

seth8530

The Atomic Wine Maker
Reaction score
Hey all,

Just giving a little update about what has been going on recently. Just this past week me and my GF both graduated from The University of Tennessee. I got my BS in Nuclear Engineering and she got her BA in psychology. We both have plans to attend graduate school to get our Master's in Nuclear Engineering and Social Work respectively.

So things are getting interesting because we will be spending the Summer in Corvallis Oregon where I have one last Summer internship prior to starting graduate school.

So, the reason why I am posting this is because me and the GF went to our local liquor store which we frequent often to buy some wine. We managed to find our favorite guy who works there and we greeted each other by name. After looking around for both a swell pinot noir and cab sav for around $20 each he decided as a going away gift to purchase a bottle of Belle Gloss Pinot Noir for us which. So, today faith in humanity was restored along with plenty of warm and fuzzies.

congrats to you and your GF on graduating. Hope you have a interesting internship!:db And good luck to you both at graduate school. Does this mean we will have to call you Master after graduate school?:)

Congrats, Seth, that is great. I love Oregon, and hope you have a fantastic time in Corvallis. Where are you going to grad school? (I think you may have told me this once via PM, but I don't recall.)

congrats to you and your GF on graduating. Hope you have a interesting internship!:db And good luck to you both at graduate school. Does this mean we will have to call you Master after graduate school?:)

Ha thanks, it should be a really cool internship since I will be working with NuScale and they are designing a new reactor at the moment so I imagine I will have plenty of cool work to do!

Lol, nah, no one will need to call me Master.

Congrats on getting through Engineering School. That is a great only a few who start complete. For what it is worth, I found my MSEE classes much more fun than many of the BSEE classes, the instructors seem to treat you like you have more of a brain.

Yeah, that is also what I have picked up from the couple grad courses I managed to slip into. I really enjoy getting to take some of the classes that are specialized and the professors seem to have a good bit of respect for the students at that level.

Congrats, Seth, that is great. I love Oregon, and hope you have a fantastic time in Corvallis. Where are you going to grad school? (I think you may have told me this once via PM, but I don't recall.)

I am really excited about moving to Oregon, I have never lived on the west coast and being so close to wine country will be great! I am going to grad school at The University of Tennessee, which is where I have done my undergrad.

Congrats Seth. You're smart to get your Masters out of the way now. I waited until I was older and between kids & work it was tough. Best of luck to both of you and I'm sure we'll be hearing from you. enjoy Oregon

so... you can tell us HOW things behave the way they do, and your gf can tell us WHY the behave the way they do???? :)

Pretty much lol, well I could tell you about how a very certain few things in this world behave at the least. The GF on the other hand... Her powers are limitless lol.

Congrats Seth. You're smart to get your Masters out of the way now. I waited until I was older and between kids & work it was tough. Best of luck to both of you and I'm sure we'll be hearing from you. enjoy Oregon

That IS the reason why I am getting the MS now.. Well besides the kids... None of that lol.. But, mainly because I figured it would be hard to motivate myself to go back to school and earn it while I was already making money. Im used to being broke now, so I figured it would be better to do it this way.

Seth, good luck even if you did go to UT :w

If I did not know better I would be willing to say that you might have some kind of bias (;

When you earn your bachelor's degree you have learned the vocabulary of your field. Your master's degree enables you to understand some of the conversations that take place in your field and a post graduate degree allows you to participate in those conversations. Looks like you and your girl friend are on your way.

Congrats to both of you Seth! That is an excellent accomplishment. I wish you both the best of luck in the coming Masters degrees!

I always joke with my husband that one day (likely when I'm closer to 70) we will be referred to as Dr. & Mr. Hall :) I'm one of those who did other things first, so I slowly chip away at the degree between kids, work and volunteer commitments.

Enjoy Oregon and a nice little break!

When you earn your bachelor's degree you have learned the vocabulary of your field. Your master's degree enables you to understand some of the conversations that take place in your field and a post graduate degree allows you to participate in those conversations. Looks like you and your girl friend are on your way.

Ha, well I hope I will be able to do a little bit more than understand the conversation with a MS considering I plan on stopping there lol (; . I have heard sayings similar to that though before. I think one of the wiser ones I heard was from a recent graduate who entered the workforce. I think he said "Now I can finally see what I do not understand.." or something like that.

That being said I might be in luck since in my field PHDs usually get doomed to akademia or national labs for the rest of their careers.. Not a bad place to be, but not where I want to be right now.

Congrats to both of you Seth! That is an excellent accomplishment. I wish you both the best of luck in the coming Masters degrees!

I always joke with my husband that one day (likely when I'm closer to 70) we will be referred to as Dr. & Mr. Hall :) I'm one of those who did other things first, so I slowly chip away at the degree between kids, work and volunteer commitments.

Enjoy Oregon and a nice little break!

That would be quite cool, I have always thought that one of the better things about having a PHD would be getting to be called doctor all the time. Looking forward to it!

Latest posts

Back