Vintners suffer hangover from too much wine

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ibglowin

Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Good stuff is flooding the market and dragging down prices worldwide

Reuters: Sept . 30, 2009

The law of supply and demand has reached the world's vineyards, tipping wine prices in consumers' favor.

Pali Wine Co., a small California Pinot Noir producer which started out selling wines for $40, $50 and $60 a bottle in 2005, found itself with cases left from its 2006 crush even as it was bottling its 2007 production.

Most of its Pinot Noirs will now be sold for $19 a bottle.

"We had to do something. We had to bring our costs down. And everyone in the business was seeing the same thing," Tim Perr, Pali's founder said during a visit to New York.

Pali does not have its own vineyards, but sources its grapes from growers in Sonoma and Napa California, as well as Willamette Valley in Oregon.

Pinot Noir grapes that once fetched $5,000 a ton now sell for $2,500.

"You could now make deals with the vineyards," said Perr, 47, who started out as an actuary before taking up winemaking four years ago.

He and his partner, Scott Knight, had built a successful business and were looking for a new challenge.

"We both liked wine and we missed the challenge of building a business. So this time around, we thought we'd build something we both were passionate about."

Selling out their first vintage of 1,300 cases in 2005, when the U.S. economy was booming lulled them into believing that there would always be a market for $50 Pinot Noir.

But that market has shrunk substantially, according to Robert Smiley, director of wine industry studies at the University of California, Davis School of Management.

Smiley's annual survey of winemakers, presented earlier this month in California, found industry professionals acknowledging that decline.

"The spot market (for wine grapes) is basically dead," he said. "The wineries will be cutting back their production. And it's not just in the U.S. I just returned from Munich and there is a worldwide wine glut," he said.

Top wineries are offering discounts to their distributors in an effort to move their wares, he said.

"Winemakers don't actually set the prices that (U.S.) consumers pay. That's done by distributors and retailers for the most part. But they are lowering their prices to the distributors and offering promotions," Smiley said.

"There are generally no more waiting lists for the (California) cult wines. And some of the cult wines will even make deals with you."

Danny Brager, vice president of beverage alcohol at The Nielsen Company, said, "When we last looked at wine at price points north of $20, we saw declines at each of them. It would seem quite logical to us that consumers are stepping down from what they used to spend per bottle, to a lower outlay."

He also found consumers were quite happy with the quality of wines they were buying for less than $20.

Marcelo Papa echoed that sentiment. Papa is one of the four chief winemakers for Chile's Concha y Toro, which unlike its competitors has seen sales of most of its brands rise 30 percent this year.

"Compared to 20 or 30 years ago, wines under $20 or $15 are of much better quality today. They're just better made wines." he said.

BUT,
It isn't passed on to home winemakers. Someone is making more $ these days.
I have yet to see a decrease in kits, grapes or juice. The CA and Italian juice this year is costing me MORE to buy than last year.
Go figure.

Tepe, I see the same things here. There are some growers that aren't even going to pick. I think it's an insurance thing, why go to all the trouble when the insurance pays better if the crop is a total failure.

Jeff

More than likely the distributers are not passing along the savings to the next level, their just pocketing it for themselves. Sorta like when oil goes down we seem to hardly ever see prices at the pump go down unless the price is down for an extended period of time....

The signs of the downturn are all over Napa and Sonoma counties. Grape
prices have tumbled. Chardonnay that was US$2,500 a ton two years ago
is now US$500.

Estimates are that 30% of this year's grape crop won't be sold, according to the Santa Rosa Press Democrat.

http://www.decanter.com/news/290546.html

Ibglowin,

As i work for a Distributor, some of the prices have gone down as far as commercial wine. Lots of wines are being heavly discounted. The closeout outlets ( online and brick and mortar) are offering wine deals that would make many winemaker cry.

As cost of grapes last year and for previous vintages was much higher, Good in the market place will not reflect the current raw grape price. I am beting that when this vintage is released, (2010 and beyond) consumers will see a notable improvement the quality of wines as well as many more volume/cost savings ( 2 for 12 deals, BOg11/2 off, etc)

Right now, I am still working through my inventories of wines that didnt sell at $35 a bottle, and are now retailing for 15.99 to 19.99 just to clean out the aging inventory ( that we paid full cost on + plus storage)

We are making a bit more on some , simply due to volume ( the sub 9 dollar brands) versus what we sold in the past.

There is a lot of speculation right now as to if the fine wine market will recover, as many folks are now finding less expensive wines that are "equal" to what they were buying before. Teh days of 5 yearswating lists to get a high end wine are gone.

Thanks for the inside look at what's happening in the wine distribution world.
All of us here obviously hope that this in some way trickles down to us little guys who buy the kits. It would be great to buy a top end kit for say $15 less. A lot goes into that including transportation cost which could eat up any savings we might see at our end.

Many of the CA wine clubs I am in are offering 20-40% off and free shipping for anyone who is willing buy.

I just wish I had the $$$ to buy a bunch!!
smiley19.gif
smiley19.gif
smiley19.gif

Latest posts

Back