Lid on fermentation lock ??

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

xcaret

Reaction score
I got a bunch of wine making equipment a year or two ago but never used it . Now I'm thinking of using the fermentation lock, but my " Winemaking Made easy " book shows a drawing of a fermentation lock that looks like it might have an airtight lid on it . This doesnt make sense to me , but the way I always make wine is to put it and leave it from start to finish in a sealed container . It seems that a lid would defeat the purpose of the gas being able to escape .. Oh yeah , I'm questioning this because the fermentation locks I bought all have little lids on them , sorta like a pill bottle lid you get your perscrirtion pills in.
Can someone advise me on this?
Thanks .. BTW I'm making pineapple wine , 5 large pineapples , 10 lbs sugar ,5 gallons of water , 10 tsps of yeast.. Thats it ,nothing else , leave it 3 weeks and drink it .. It's just like pinacolada. Mmmmm !

The purpose of those caps is to keep bugs/dust out. To me, they are more trouble than their worth, so I never wuse them.

10 tsp of yeast!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Yikes...thats a lot of yeast

Latest posts

Back