lent begins wednesday!

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Today my granddaughter was baptize, in a Catholic Church. I believe I mention that I was born and raised as a catholic but I am no longer one. Anyway my daughter-in-law is catholic plus her whole family. I was talking to her Mom, I am so fortune that I have a daughter-in-law that I am friends with her mother. Anyway she was telling me that Sundays is not part of lent so you can eat or drink whatever you gave up for lent on Sundays. She explained that lent was for 40 days and that does not include Sundays.

Do all of you who gave up something for know this?

I was born and raised Catholic and have never heard that.

Answer: The date of Ash Wednesday is easily calculated. Simply take the date of Easter and subtract 46 days.

Why 46? Because, while there are 40 days in Lent, Sundays are not part of Lent. (See How Are the 40 Days of Lent Calculated? for more information.) There are six Sundays that fall within Lent; thus 40 plus 6 equals 46.

From "About.com Catholicism"

I'm not a very good Catholic, Lent usually lasts about two days.

I'm not sure if I would be considered being born a Catholic or not. When I was born, I wasn't expected to live so the hospital chaplain, who happened to be Catholic, baptized me and gave me last rites. I was stubborn even as a baby and pulled through. Since my parents were protestants, I was raised that way. I married a Catholic girl so we had to take those classes spoken of before also. I have probably been to more Masses than other church services so I am not sure what I am, but respect every person's right to worship, or not, however they please.

Well, yes, most of us know about Sundays not technically being part of Lent. However, that is kind of a de jure thing. Most people who either give something up or take something on for Lent don't do it for some legalistic reason, but rather for spiritual enhancement. So the "technical" aspects don't interest most people, at least not the ones that I know.

Well, yes, most of us know about Sundays not technically being part of Lent. However, that is kind of a de jure thing. Most people who either give something up or take something on for Lent don't do it for some legalistic reason, but rather for spiritual enhancement. So the "technical" aspects don't interest most people, at least not the ones that I know.

Nicely put SG!

I would add that this..

To me, giving up for lent has always been giving up something for the entire season of lent. Although Sundays are not considered part of lent, they do reside within the season of lent.

There is also a non-religious aspect to this. I like the idea of abstaining from alcohol for 46 days because I can abstain from alcohol for 46 days.

Drinking on Sundays sort of defeats that purpose. Instead of being happy that I can/did go 46 days without alcohol, all I would be doing is to go only 7 days without alcohol.

Common guys! This is day 13. just 30 more to go!

Well it is 17 days down and 29 left to go.

Or as my older brother puts it, lent is 36.9565% complete (He is an engineer).

How are my fellow wagoneers doing out there?

Pumpkinman?
Boatboy?
DirtyDawg10?
Ffemt128?
ShellyDickenson?

I, myself, am still master of my own domain :r:r:r

Lord of the manor...

(I'm being reminded of a certain Seinfeld episode when George, Jerry, Kramer and Elaine were all abstaining from something.)

While not on the same, er, wagon as you other folks...

I've been doing well with my lenten pursuits. I'll be leading the music at church this Sunday, I've been more active in my volunteering, and have been working very hard at showing my children the magic of life.

It's a good start :)

I gave up alcohol last year. This year I gave up soda and the elevator at work. My office is on the third floor and the main office is on the first floor. I am up and down the stairs quite a bit but it is good to be able to walk the stairs now and not be out of breath when I get to the top.

I'm not quite sure why but I am having a harder time giving up the soda than I did giving up alcohol last year. I don't drink a ton of soda but for some reason I can't get the idea of an ice cold Coke out of my head. It really makes me wonder what the heck is in that stuff to make me want one so bad. I haven't cracked on either one yet though.

Sent from my iPhone using Wine Making

I actually haven't thought that much about giving it up. I guess that sounds bad. The only time it was an issue was when my Dad got out if the hospital after almost a year and we were doing a family video chat and everyone wanted to have a toast to him. I explained why I couldn't and my brother and sister were irked but my Dad stepped in and said he raised his children to stand up for what they believed in. Of course I balled like a baby because he had my back....again and he sounded like he used to. For me that was worth everything.

Good story Shelley. Glad to hear about your Dad.

Sent from my iPhone using Wine Making

1/2 Way There!!!!

Guys,

It's day 23! Lent is 1/2 over!

How are all my fellow "Wagon Riders" doing out there? I bet you are finding that this was easier than you ever thought!

I know that this is a little too soon, but I am already trying to decide on what should fill that very first glass at Easter Dinner. I have a few very rare bottles of my 1992 cabernet that I think would be appropriate.

The worst is behind us guys! Just 23 days left! Keep it up, stay the course, you can do this!

So far, it's been pretty easy, though I'm getting an itchy trigger finger these last few days. Probably because I've been working a bit in the lab and have been trying to sample without actually swallowing anything. That just sucks. :) Overall though, I haven't really missed it too much.

I too, am trying to decide what I'll have on Easter. Though I probably won't be home and will end up with a Sauvignon Blanc or Pinot Noir where I end up.

My question now is: Do I stay up late on Easter Eve and cork something at the crack of midnight? :D (answer: no. but it's fun to think about)

So far, it's been pretty easy, though I'm getting an itchy trigger finger these last few days. Probably because I've been working a bit in the lab and have been trying to sample without actually swallowing anything. That just sucks. :) Overall though, I haven't really missed it too much.

I too, am trying to decide what I'll have on Easter. Though I probably won't be home and will end up with a Sauvignon Blanc or Pinot Noir where I end up.

My question now is: Do I stay up late on Easter Eve and cork something at the crack of midnight? :D (answer: no. but it's fun to think about)

You could always bring a special bottle with you.

Staying up late on Easter eve is perfectly acceptable! You probably had your last sip of wine prior to midnight on ash Wednesday, so you would be good.

The midnight talk reminds me of a funny quirk of my late father. Remember when I said this:

However, that is kind of a de jure thing. Most people who either give something up or take something on for Lent don't do it for some legalistic reason, but rather for spiritual enhancement. So the "technical" aspects don't interest most people...

My father took a very legalistic approach. Of course, we abstained from meat on Fridays. Dear old dad used to wait until the stroke of midnight, then fry himself a hamburger or some bacon. Even at a young age I was like "Really, Dad? Perhaps you may be missing the point?"

Just 18 calendar days left folks!!!!!

Just a word of encouragement to my fellow "wine-giver-uppers". Consider the following..

Calendar days left: 18 (which is 432 hours)

Of that time...

Hours spent sleeping: 144
Hours spent at work: 180
Total: 324

If we deduct those hours, we get a total of 108 hours which is only 4.5 days.

Surely, we can abstain for another 4.5 days!!!

Latest posts

Back